Blinkers - Turn Signals on the fritz & battery wont char

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gluv4u2

Blinkers - Turn Signals on the fritz & battery wont char

Post by gluv4u2 »

Ok, so my wife and I decided to definitely keep our buddy. It's been awhile because I got into a bike accident on the Freeway on my Ninja... broke my leg but 4 months later im walking and almost running again.

anyway, so I pulled out my Buddy and the battery doesn't seem to take charge? It's dead. Also, my turn signals dont blink? Anyone else have this issue? I can kick start the buddy and let it warm up, drop the kids off at school (1 at each school) so I got to ride the scoot for at least 30mins. That should have charged the batter no?

2 issues
-turn signals dont blink
-battery doesn't charge

help?
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

The turn signals, and electric start are wired to the battery. If the battery does not have enough juice, it cannot power the blinkers.
Sounds like your scoot was sitting for 4+ months which is not ideal for a small battery (or any battery for that matter). Once a battery has been discharged to a severe level, as yours may have, it will not hold a full charge. It will actually discharge faster and faster the more you use it. In a car or truck, 30 minutes should be enough to bring a battery back to life. But the charging system in scooters is not comparable to that in cars/trucks. Take her for a longer ride (not low speed stop and go) or try a battery tender. If that does not do it, your in need of a new battery.

Any time you have a battery sit for a period of time, it’s a good idea to have it on a battery tender.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I had similar problem. I put in new battery and got nothing. It blew the fuse by the battery when I put battery in. Elictric start / blinkers / brake light and "dash" light did not work. Head light was also messed up sometimes.

Brought it in and they had to replace the rectifier / blinker modual(?) / head light bulb and the fuse by battery. Throw in 2 hours of labor on that and it cost me $206.

This happened 1 day after warrenty :cry:
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

My right blinker just decides to go all crazy and sputter out sometimes. Instead of click. click. click. I get click. click. clickclickCLICKCLIC then it stops and I have to hit it again. Just the right one, once in awhile! o_O
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Once the battery's kaput, it won't hold much of a charge no matter how much you ride it. You just need a new battery.
Animaetrix00 wrote:My right blinker just decides to go all crazy and sputter out sometimes. Instead of click. click. click. I get click. click. clickclickCLICKCLIC then it stops and I have to hit it again. Just the right one, once in awhile! o_O
Probably just a loose connection at the relay for the blinker. How much does it bug you?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

Not enough to mess with it :P
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Turn the tunes up. :mrgreen:
gluv4u2

Resolution

Post by gluv4u2 »

Ok, So apparently my battery isn't completely shot. After taking my battery out, leaving it on the battery tender, putting it back in with the tender, cranking the auto ignition draining it again, tending it again, (cycled through at least 3 times, each time leaving the tender on for a few hours) the ignition finally turned the buddy on. drove it around for 20 mins, put it back on the tender over night. my Buddy turned on per her normal routine. Seems the battery is finally taking a full charge. the first few tending times were about 2-5mins and it showed fully charged, the final tending time was well over a few hours as it didn't show a full charge for a long time.

maybe in a few months i'll need a new battery but for now everything seems back to normal... go figure? I did hard wire the tender cables to make the connection easier next time i leave the bike by her lonesome for a long period of time.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Since it takes more than a couple of miles to recharge the battery if it might be low I have developed the habit of using the kick start for short runs. Second nature now, very easy. My commute is only 5 miles. Some days I might get a chance to do extra riding, most no. Occasionally one long one on a weekend.