Derestricted Buddy 50cc Noise Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

seedy50cc

Derestricted Buddy 50cc Noise Question

Post by seedy50cc »

Hello all.
Long time lurker first time poster.

Just got my first used Buddy 50cc off of craigslist and having mad fun with it.
Today I took it in to the dealer and had it derestricted and noticed that it is louder than before. Is this normal? Normal in a sense that after derestricting one should expect the scooter to be louder because of the subtraction of 2 parts.

I mean I have no idea what normal is. People talk about how loud 2 strokes are but it's hard to judge by just reading those words. It goes loud chugga chugga chugga when idling but then makes a loud weeeeee sound when accelerating. I know those are typical sounds but I guess at what magnitude.

Anyway, I'm totally digging the scooter and derestricting makes a huge difference not just in speed but in road confidence.
Last edited by seedy50cc on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asburyjer

Re: Derestricted Buddy 50cc Noise Question

Post by Asburyjer »

seedy50cc wrote: Today I took it in to the dealer and had it derestricted and noticed that it is louder than before.
Welcome to posting :D

From my understanding the restriction on the 50cc is a rpm restriction as such derestricting the engine is going to allow for greater rpm's to be reached meaning the engine is working harder thus louder. I could be completely and totally wrong here but that would be my guess.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

seedy50cc wrote:Hello all.
....... but then makes a loud weeeeee sound when accelerating.

Are you sure it is the scooter making the"WEEEEEE" noise? :lol:
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:

What a fantastically glorious image! *Flying down his suburban street, head thrown back breeze in his face and squealing out with reckless abandon!
seedy50cc

Post by seedy50cc »

lol.

I guess weeeee wasn't really the best description more like buzzzzzzzzzz.

Anyway, I guess a good measure of noise would be if you could have a conversation with someone on the street while sitting idle without having to shout. Raised voice sure but if shouting then I would get a better idea of the level of engine noise.

Asburyjer wrote:
Buddy_wannabe wrote:

What a fantastically glorious image! *Flying down his suburban street, head thrown back breeze in his face and squealing out with reckless abandon!
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

There is the possibility that the bolts by the exhaust manifold aren't tightened or it hasn't 'sealed' correctly.
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

Another possibility for the 'wheee' sound could be the cvt gasket might not have been replaced correctly, air may be leaking out of the transmission cover. The loud buzzing sound though is most likely the manifold bolts or the gasket not seat correctly
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

The exhaust restrictor is a washer that is between the head and the exhaust pipe. It has an opening about the size of a dime.

Once removed, the actual pipe is a little smaller than a half dollar.

In other words, the exhaust breathes a lot easier, and with that improved breathing, there is extra noise.