New stella- 4th gear not there?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

New stella- 4th gear not there?

Post by Anachronism »

Ok, I just bought a new Olive Stella, and am loving the crap out of this bike.

However, it seems I have a problem right off the bat.

4th gear doesn't seem to be there.

1st, 2nd and 3rd all have a reassuring clunk. However, if try to shift into 4th, the shifter moves so that the horn and headlight buttons are almost facing up, but if I let out the clutch it is like I am in nuetral. I can't find a gear there.

At first I figured that I was just shifting from 2 to 4 each time, but I would have figured I would have found 3rd at least ONCE.

I watched this video just to see if I was nuts, and sure enough, the shifter position when he grabs 4th is where I get NADA.

http://scootinoldskool.wordpress.com/20 ... and-asked/

Is something out of adjustment?
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

Yes... take it back to your dealer and have them adjust it. That sounds like bad PDI which you no doubt paid dearly for on a new scoot.

Get what ya paid for and have them take care of it.

Aside from that minor 'glitch', how do ya like it?

Ted
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Well, I paid 3k out the door for it, or $600 under MSRP, so I don't really feel I paid dearly for anything, but that's beside the point. :)

After the first 30 miles or so of riding, I really, really like this bike. I was a little disappointed at first in the top speed, because I was seeming to only hit 45 MPH, which my kitted buddy does that no sweat. Once I realized that I was only running 3 gears, I felt a bit better about it.

I like the handling better than the Buddy, at least in some ways. The bike feels much more planted and reassuring in corners, and I've found myself powering through corners that I would get skittish and lift on the Buddy. Considering the amount of seat time I've had on the buddy (2050 miles vs 30) that's a huge testament to how the bike feels if I am taking corners faster.

Still, the buddy is a lot easier to tip into a turn, and the unbalanced nature of the bike takes something to get used to. On the Buddy, I was quite used to not needing to put my feet down at stop signs, stopping to make right turns on red, etc. Not so on this bike- the unbalanced engine weight pulls it over. I've also almost dropped the scooter a few times dismounting and not expecting the scooter to tip onto the motor side before I can get the stand up. I've always dismounted left on the Buddy, I should probably get in the habit of dismounting right to catch the scooter better.

Banging through gears is indescribably fun, and the clutch is a lot easier to run than I expected. I'm still learning that you really don't need to give it much gas at all to launch it, so I've have some starts where I've jusdt about yanked the bike out from underneath me.

I'm going to have to get used to the reduced storage space. I utilized the pet carrier A LOT on the Buddy, and not having that is a bit of a drag. I may be purchasing a rear rack pretty quickly.

Aside from not having 4th gear at the moment, the only thing I'm not really happy about is the seat. It is considerably less comfortable than the Buddy seat. Considering that I bought this bike to take longer rides and venture into the mountains, I'm a bit bummed by that. Any solutions on the seat issue?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The seat issue is easy; it just takes money. Check out: www.pirateupholstery.com. I got my Stella fitted out with a Vespa P-series spring seat, deerskin covered with a gel insert. Total cost was about $300, and no more fanny fatigue, even on longer trips and nasty roads.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Ok, so I'm wrong about 4th gear. I can shift into 4th, but it is a longer throw than 2-3, and there isn't a "clunk" like shifting into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gets you.

If I move the shifter up from 3rd the same distance that I move it to shift from 2-3, I get neutral if I let the clutch out.

Now that I know where 4th is, I can reliably shift into it, but the "hole" between 3-4 still makes me nervous. I'd hate to do damage by letting the clutch out in that area only to have it grind into gear, or worse, throw me or lock up when it does.

So, I'd like to know if this hole is normal. Do other people have a longer throw to get to 4th? Is it indicative of an out of adjustment shifter?
Frankie 2 Tone

Post by Frankie 2 Tone »

That "hole" is not normal. Something needs to be adjusted. Just take it to the dealer and let them hook it up, or you may end up with some metal flakes in your transmission down the road. It should be a fairly short and easy shift into fourth.
Kickin' it hard to the Rock Steady Beat!!!!!!!!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I dunno know, I find that "hole" every now and again and another friend of mine with an 08 says he hits it from time to time. But you should listen to Frankie and take advantage of your warranty and get it looked at.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I think the issue was more not knowing where the gear was.

When I originally posted, it was with about 15 miles of ride time. When I originally picked up the bike, I wasn't sure whether I was skipping 3rd and running in 4th, (and thus overshifting if I pushed it further to "find 4th").

Now that I have the hang of it, it doesn't feel like there is that much of a gap there. I think I was being timid afraid of damage if I shifted upwards from 4th, so I wasn't moving it far enough.

I'll ask them to check, but I'm already scheduled to get the cables adjusted at 500 miles, so...
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

mine was hard to get into 3rd and 4th until i drove it more and it loosened up.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Several things...

Seat - I can also speak well for Pirate Upholstry. I got mine recovered by them with some gel and proper padding and it changed the seat from crap to yesssssss. A P200 seat is also excellent and comfy if you are not a big person. (Anyone over 200 will find it bottoms out if the springs are not in good condish)

45mph in 3rd... Careful, you need to break it in before going that high up in 3rd.

3rd->4th hole... I've found it a few times. But, I agree with others here, it sounds like it needs to be adjusted a bit.

Keep in mind that it will all settle as it gets worn in, and things will change...

Example, my P200 motor was shit to shift, around 500 miles it became butter.

Enjoy your Stella!
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
orino

Post by orino »

As the miles accumulated, my PX (the one in the video) would usually go from 3rd to 4th with no pressure on the clutch lever. Unsynchronized gearboxes will do that. It's important that both the clutch cable and shifter cables be properly adjusted (and lubricated), and it's not unusual for them to go out of adjustment after a fairly short time, since they will stretch with use. You can delay this by shifting into neutral at stoplights and when traffic isn't moving. It goes back into first gear quite easily. Ker-CHOOONK!

__Orin
[url]http://www,scootinoldskool.com[/url]