Freeway legal or not. Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

walky08

Freeway legal or not. Buddy 125

Post by walky08 »

I keep seeing not freeway legal for a 125 but I see reports of usage on freeways. What is the real thing? I do not want ever to ride on the freeway, but just in case I have to... Could I ride on the freeway in an emergency?
Sumosamurai

Post by Sumosamurai »

Its my understanding that you have to run at least 150 cc in order to be legal.
"Everybody wants to ride a buddy...Scooter"
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

what i believe is if your scooter can keep up with traffic, why not?! the interstates around here are 70mph during the day, i wouldn't dare get on, people here drive FAST.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

99% of the time, avoid it like the plague. Whether it's legal or not, there's also the "how safe is it and how fast is traffic really going" part.

I'll jump on a very few spots that are labeled as interstate, but the speed limit for the one I do regularly is 50 mph which means everyone's doing 60 and it's only about a quarter to half a mile...and only because Patton Ave (20 mph) in downtown Asheville becomes I-240 then becomes Patton again (45 mph). It's also not the open interstate...it's a beltway/bypass, and I'm WOT and borderline paranoid of traffic the whole time.

The only other time I've been on the interstate was by pure accident when I went to Charlotte. I got lost and the highway I was on became a bypass-labeled-interstate in the middle of a curve. I got off QUICK!!! :shock:

If you'll look closely, the ones (Kaos) I've seen post here that they do interstate are also running heavy voodoo in their Buddy, and point that out. ;)

This brings up a question of my own. [threadjack]
Where do I look to find out the minimum displacement for interstate? I've tried finding it for NC, but can't turn up anything. All I've found is a minimum speed limit for interstate of 45 mph, but that's it.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

In california, no, not freeway legal. You can do highways (white signs).

*edit - additional info since brevity seems impolite*

legal it is not, would you likely be stopped for a quick jaunt in an emergency? perhaps not.

We have grooved freeways here in cali and that makes our little bikes wobble something fierce. They only weigh a couple hundred pounds such that cars flying by push our wee ones all over the lane in their wake.

This is what Genuine says about taking Buddy's on the Interstate

A: Scooters are primarily designed for nimple, quick, convenient and efficient urban transport. They thrive in places where parking is scarce, roads are congested, and fuel prices are high.

Genuine's Buddy 125 models can attain a top speed in excess of 60mph and Genuine's Buddy 150 models can approach 70mph. However, cruising at 65 miles per hour on a 150cc scooter would be similar to cruising at 130mph in your car.

In other words, your properly maintained Buddy will faithfully zip you along city streets, country roads, bustling boulevards, tree lined parkways, and even pikes. But we'd advise staying off the expressway and the interstate.

So no it's not legal here in California, it's not advisable by the manufacturer... But legal, smegal some will say. Not knowing what may constitute an emergency I would say any time your anxious or frightened would be the worst time to take a illegal or ill-advised chance on the freeway
Last edited by jijifer on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

By and large, local traffic laws will apply, so what may be legal or illegal in Texas, North Carolina or Arizona is likely irrelevant for California. So your first rule should be to completely ignore what anyone not living in California has to say about the legal aspects.

Having said that, it's really going to come down to what are you comfortable with, what is safe, and whether you are hindering traffic (which I guess could be considered part of what is safe). There are a lot of roads with a posted speed limit of 60, yet you need to be going 70-75 just to keep up. Since the Buddy speedo reads about 10% fast you'd need to be going 80+ indicated in that situation.

If you are keeping up with traffic and not putting yourself or other drivers in harms way, I doubt the police are going to be looking at your scooter to see if the badge says 125 or 150 or any other number. What police notice the most are things that are out of the ordinary, such as a scooter moving significantly slower than other traffic.

So can you ride on the freeway in an emergency? My philosophy is that if it really is an emergency (ie, life or death) you do what you have to do. The legalities become secondary at that point. Otherwise, in my experiences with California freeways I'd avoid it at all costs on a Buddy.
TVB

Post by TVB »

For 137th time: It varies. Check your state's laws. Your Department of Motor Vehicles or the local equivalent will have the answer.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

The engine must be 150cc or higher for freeway riding in CA. Though even the 150cc IMO is not entirely freeway practical or safe. It's too light and not fast enough for LA area interstate speeds...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Not around here.
Why would you venture into 65-75 mph traffic on a 55 mph vehicle?
Ever follow a senior citizen going 35 in a 50 zone? What were your feelings?
maribell

Post by maribell »

Here in TX, I wouldn't dare take a 125 on the highway, unless it stayed in the exit lane the whole time. I have friends that take HD200son the freeway with no problems, but little 10" wheels aren't the best for stability at high speeds.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

It's legal in Michigan, but stupid and reckless.
so tough, so pink
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

TVB wrote:For 137th time: It varies. Check your state's laws. Your Department of Motor Vehicles or the local equivalent will have the answer.
:+!: This depends on the state. For example, in Oregon 150cc is the minimum. Right across the bridge in washington, anything over 50cc (anything that needs a license) is freeway legal.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

on the highway, i ride my gf's scooter,
on the highway, ts a little smoother,
its fun riding during traffic,
so dont sweat it or panic,
if you see someone u wanna overtake,
dont think it's a piece of cake,
cause they'll win and you lose,
and get more than a bruise,
dont rush it, just cruise

:D

-gearhead poet
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

In california, as many have said, less than 150cc is illegal on the freeways, buddies in general are unsafe on freeways under most circumstances in my opinion. Do I ride on the fwy from time to time? Yes. Primarily it is for the shortest jaunts possible and only when impossible or ridiculously impractical to avoid it, or when I'm in a group of scooters, a good group to ride with will ask you without pressuring you if you feel safe on the fwy and then they will envelope and keep pace with you while on there.

If you do have to ride on the freeway stay in the middle of the right lane, open up the throttle and hold your space. Remember not to grip up too tight on the grips and I find it helpful to sit a little bit back on the seat and tuck down enough to cut airflow w/o loosing sight of the mirrors. If you have to merge, let people who are trying to cut ahead of you do so, you may have people try share your lane, let off the gas and give it to them (they have a few thousand pounds on you, they win). If you have to merge into a lane further left signal early and wait for a nice clear opening. As far as rain grooves, I think it's very well covered in Proficient Motorcycling, if someone wants to quote that they can.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
rickko

Post by rickko »

As stated, illegal in CA yet I take mine on a very small stretch all the time.

It's really a ramp that connects a city street to to a freeway after a cloverleaf type turn off the ramp. Or, if you pass the cloverleaf exit the ramp connects to another highway that is scooter legal. Point A to point B in blue in the pic below is a freeway ramp.

I either take the ramp technically putting me on a freeway for about 30 seconds or spend an extra 5 to 8 minutes weaving along city streets, through six signals and a busy train track crossing before finding my way onto the same highway.

Since the ramp speed is about 40, the Buddy handles it with ease. Since the 125 and 150 Italia look exactly the same, I don't think a cop coming up from behind would question my scooter as long as I'm keeping right along with traffic.

The whole distance I'm on the ramp isn't much more than 600-800 yards.

I'll let you know if I ever get stopped.

..rickko..
PS. I would never ride a freeway legal Buddy on a southern California freeway but I'm sure there are lots of sections of freeway throughout the country where I'd feel safer.

Too each his own!
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

This would be a good topic to add to the FAQs section as it periodically comes up. :D
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

In Illinois you need an M endorsement to legally operate a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle of 150cc or above. On 150cc or above 2 or 3 wheel vehicles a motorcycle license plate is needed and even scooters are considered motorcycles. Motorcycles are allowed on any freeway, highway, expressway, boulevard, street, etc. From 50cc to 149cc you need an L endorsement.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

In Pennsylvania, legal, but fool hearty.

I got on the 'freeway' for a mile the other week, was keeping with traffic, yet some STUPID S>O>B> insisted on passing me ON THE SHOLDER!! :wha: :livid:
naptime

Post by naptime »

i ride mine on the highway here all the time.

anything above 49cc requires a plate, and is considered a motorcycle.

motorcycles can go on the highway.

i ride it on the highway from one side of town to the other, and not only do i keep up with traffic, but occasionaly i pass other traffic.

only thing that bothers me is when i have to cross the drawbridge, as it is a steel grooved surface.

i say whats the big deal, if its legal in your area, and yo ucan keep up with traffic, whats the problem?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

naptime wrote:i ride mine on the highway here all the time.

anything above 49cc requires a plate, and is considered a motorcycle.

motorcycles can go on the highway.

i ride it on the highway from one side of town to the other, and not only do i keep up with traffic, but occasionaly i pass other traffic.

only thing that bothers me is when i have to cross the drawbridge, as it is a steel grooved surface.

i say whats the big deal, if its legal in your area, and yo ucan keep up with traffic, whats the problem?
I tend to agree. Though not actually legal, I get on the highway with my 125 all the time. I can do 80+, so its not a problem to keep up as long as you're ok with the increased risks.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

The CA motorcycle handbook states:

A motor-driven cycle is:
A motorcycle with a 149 cc or less engine size. NOTE: You may not operate a motor-driven cycle on a freeway if (white) signs are posted to prohibit motor-driven cycle operation.

Would I drive a Buddy 150 on the freeway even though it is legal? No, in most situations. Have I done it? Yes, but it was for a short distance (1 exit) and it was very nerve racking.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
walky08

Freeway

Post by walky08 »

My mind is reeling. I think this information should be posted, as suggested, in the FAQs area.

I cannot even think of driving with normal traffic in Los Angeles Avenue; imagine visualizing myself on the freeway(No-No). The other day I was practicing in my urban area where all cars driven belong to people who live here -- community area- and should not pass the 25 mph limit. I was passed by an impatient driver!

What constitutes an emergency to me would have to be some life threatening chaos or situation that impacts a big area, like a fire or earthquake. :roll: Yes, I know, I am thinking "critical" here where maybe standard laws would not apply because the threat overrides standard conduct.

As a matter of fact, since we live in a state where fires are common--and I am thinking about the super dry hill in front of our home-- I think of the scooter as a means to deal with a scape situation in that type of emergency. I imagine a bottleneck of cars and the scooter slipping through. I have an active imagination!

Well, that was my kind of scenarro for "emergency" for those to cared to question.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Well you do have a fertile imagination. In that "emergency" where the freeways are at a standstill speed certainly wouldn't be an issue. The bigger concern in a panic situation like that would be someone knocking you off the scooter and making it their escape vehicle, so be careful with the lane splitting. Anyway, make sure to keep the gas tank full since you probably won't be able to buy more.
malken00

Post by malken00 »

jijifer wrote: However, cruising at 65 miles per hour on a 150cc scooter would be similar to cruising at 130mph in your car.

My car is just getting warmed up at 130 :D
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

I started to ride my Buddy 150 the 4-5 miles on the I-17 Interstate here in Phoenix, mostly as an experiment to see if it was practical. I could keep up with traffic, but it wasn't comfortable -- physically or emotionally. One big thing I enjoy about scootering is that it should lower stress, not increase it. I experimented with surface routes to work and found that there wasn't a 5 minute difference. And, the ride was fun.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Welcome to MB Mr. Geezer. Enjoy your scooter and ride safe. How old does one have to be a geezer anyway?
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Old Geezer wrote:I started to ride my Buddy 150 the 4-5 miles on the I-17 Interstate here in Phoenix, mostly as an experiment to see if it was practical. I could keep up with traffic, but it wasn't comfortable -- physically or emotionally. One big thing I enjoy about scootering is that it should lower stress, not increase it. I experimented with surface routes to work and found that there wasn't a 5 minute difference. And, the ride was fun.
I hear ya. Until I get Puca voodoo'd enough to get the top speed up there, I don't do interstate. I've recently quit doing the interstate-labeled bypass for Asheville as well: holiday traffic is starting up, and I want no part of that insanity!!

I've hopped on I-40 ONCE, as a last-ditch option. I was going to a workshop I had already paid for and a storm had knocked out the power so I overslept by 2 hours. It was either my normal 2.5 hour highway route, or 5 miles on the interstate to get off the mountain and knock an hour & 15 minutes off the trip. It was...interesting. :lol:
Old Geezer

Freeway: Legal or not

Post by Old Geezer »

Thanks for the welcome.

How old does one have to be to be an "Old Geezer" -- Old enough not be able to remember the year he started collecting Social Security, but still young enough to enjoy life! And, my Buddy 150 contributes to that in a BIG way.
paige

Post by paige »

In California, freeways and highways are different types of roads. I don't know the specifics, but I believe freeways are limited access entry/exit roads with barriers or median between the directions of traffic. Highways are roads that have cross traffic and vary speed limits as they go through a town or congested area. I ride on highways, but I avoid freeways.
bigbropgo

Re: Freeway: Legal or not

Post by bigbropgo »

Old Geezer wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

How old does one have to be to be an "Old Geezer" -- Old enough not be able to remember the year he started collecting Social Security, but still young enough to enjoy life! And, my Buddy 150 contributes to that in a BIG way.
good for you! enjoy your buddy scooter. a lot of good info and good people here.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I was scared s******s driving a rental car on California freeway 3 years ago . I am used to Interstate driving but not the kind that folks do in California. Personally I would not ride on the Interstate/freeway anywhere even if I was on Piaggio MP3. It would have to be some kind of national emergency for me to brave it. I actually do not think city driving is particularly safe either. I bought the scooter really for recreational purposes. Between older population that may be driving on the edge of or beyond their abilities, younger population who thinks cell phones are mandatory driving accessory and 40-something population does not think driving regulations were written for them - well you would not want to drive on regular basis in my area. I'll stick to country roads and hope deer do not see my scooter and think it is mating season.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Stormswift wrote:I was scared s******s driving a rental car on California freeway 3 years ago . I am used to Interstate driving but not the kind that folks do in California. Personally I would not ride on the Interstate/freeway anywhere even if I was on Piaggio MP3. It would have to be some kind of national emergency for me to brave it. I actually do not think city driving is particularly safe either. I bought the scooter really for recreational purposes. Between older population that may be driving on the edge of or beyond their abilities, younger population who thinks cell phones are mandatory driving accessory and 40-something population does not think driving regulations were written for them - well you would not want to drive on regular basis in my area. I'll stick to country roads and hope deer do not see my scooter and think it is mating season.
On the flip side, though Oregon freeways arn't comparable to California's. I brave the freeway all the time :)
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

I remember reading that they had to be 10hp or greater to be highway legal, at least in MA. I can't seem to find it written down though. Don't see why anyone would want to take a scooter on a real highway/expressway/interstate. By real I'm referring to 60mph+. There are a lot of "routes" around here (US-1 comes to ming) that have "State Highway Begins Here" that are marked 45mph and sometimes 55mph. I've been on a 1500cc cruiser on an interstate, don't plan on doing that again anytime soon Comes down to comfort level in the end.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ObjectAgnosia wrote:I remember reading that they had to be 10hp or greater to be highway legal, at least in MA. I can't seem to find it written down though. Don't see why anyone would want to take a scooter on a real highway/expressway/interstate. By real I'm referring to 60mph+. There are a lot of "routes" around here (US-1 comes to ming) that have "State Highway Begins Here" that are marked 45mph and sometimes 55mph. I've been on a 1500cc cruiser on an interstate, don't plan on doing that again anytime soon Comes down to comfort level in the end.
In most states, its got to be 150cc or bigger. I agree about comfort level. My Buddy can do 80+ fairly easily, so its not like I'm topping out at 55.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll say this: Aside from whether it's safe or advisable, frequent riding WOT at freeway speeds will mean more parts wearing out much faster. You'll need more frequent maintenance and your tires will need replacement more often. Even though "capable" in some sense, it's not the kind of riding the Buddy (125, 150, kitted or not) is designed for. I'm not saying it's going to fall apart, but it's going to cost more and need more attention.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Legal or not, you have to understand what the thing was designed to do.

The Buddy's a perfect tool for commuting on main roads or anything in town, but the Freeway's a different story. It's not designed or intended for it. It will, of course do it, that's not the question. Quick bursts are OK (during non rush hour traffic), but you'd have to have a few screws loose to attempt a highway jaunt on a stock Buddy.

If you've got a heavily modified Buddy, then it'll probably more comfortable on the Freeway, just know that it's not what it was made for. What could be a minor or serious failure at regular road speeds could be catastrophic at highway speeds.

All I'm saying is weigh the risks.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

r0sa wrote:what i believe is if your scooter can keep up with traffic, why not?! the interstates around here are 70mph during the day, i wouldn't dare get on, people here drive FAST.
Have to be capable of more than keeping up to be safe.
Need to be able to outrun.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Beamster wrote:
r0sa wrote:what i believe is if your scooter can keep up with traffic, why not?! the interstates around here are 70mph during the day, i wouldn't dare get on, people here drive FAST.
I disagree, I've been on the Buddy many many times on the freeway, never once have I been in a situation I needed to outrun anything. Several times I've needed to slow down fast, which the Buddy is very good at.

I'm not saying that the Buddy on the freeway is a GOOD idea. Just that it can be done, and I do it regularly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
Beamster wrote:
I disagree, I've been on the Buddy many many times on the freeway, never once have I been in a situation I needed to outrun anything. Several times I've needed to slow down fast, which the Buddy is very good at.

I'm not saying that the Buddy on the freeway is a GOOD idea. Just that it can be done, and I do it regularly.
Would you do it regularly on a stock 150?

On the freeways around here, a stock Buddy 150 isn't able to keep up and maintain the same speeds as surrounding traffic. I'm also of the opinion that being able to keep up isn't enough. Slowing down or braking poses another problem. The CVT slows you down quite a bit when you let off the throttle. If you have to release it fully and brake, it may be difficult to regain highway speeds.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Beamster wrote: Have to be capable of more than keeping up to be safe.

Would you do it regularly on a stock 150?

On the freeways around here, a stock Buddy 150 isn't able to keep up and maintain the same speeds as surrounding traffic. I'm also of the opinion that being able to keep up isn't enough. Slowing down or braking poses another problem. The CVT slows you down quite a bit when you let off the throttle. If you have to release it fully and brake, it may be difficult to regain highway speeds.
No, I likely wouldn't do it on a stock 150. Though the freeways around here are quite tame compared to California, they can JUST hold speed on a flat, hills will get you down below the speed of traffic.

I also agree about the CVT dragging you down. I can get back up to speed fairly easily, but not as instantly as I'd like, and if it takes a sec on my bike, it'll take quite a bit longer on a stock bike.
cmac

Post by cmac »

Who cares if its legal or not. Think about safety! I don't go on ANY roads that have above 55mph speed limits with my Stella. Even on 55mph roads, I only venture out on them when there is no traffic. Cars riding your ass is not a fun thing to experience.