Still Riding in 100 degree Heat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

Still Riding in 100 degree Heat

Post by pcbikedude »

I went for a nice ride this afternoon in the heat. Feels good to go fast. Anyone else challenge the heat.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm a year round rider, I've ridden up to 98(Hottest its been so far this month) and down to 19(Coldest it was this last winter) How does it go?
Nor rain nor heat nor falling snow will keep me the hell off my two wheeled demon scoot?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:I'm a year round rider, I've ridden up to 98(Hottest its been so far this month) and down to 19(Coldest it was this last winter) How does it go?
Nor rain nor heat nor falling snow will keep me the hell off my two wheeled demon scoot?
I think I did a 104 day last year. The alternative was the Cherokee (with non-working AC). Now that I have a Ford Ranger (with freaky cold air when the AC is set to off!) I might be tempted to drive that... but I tend to scoot unless I need the other vehicle. That reminds me, I need to start my truck to keep the seals wet!

Kaos, I'm neck and neck with you for cold, I accidentally rode one morning when it was 19... I thought it was going to be warmer, lol. You're more hard-core than I - my commute's only 10 miles; you're clockin about 50 miles, right?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
Kaos wrote:I'm a year round rider, I've ridden up to 98(Hottest its been so far this month) and down to 19(Coldest it was this last winter) How does it go?
I think I did a 104 day last year. The alternative was the Cherokee (with non-working AC). Now that I have a Ford Ranger (with freaky cold air when the AC is set to off!) I might be tempted to drive that... but I tend to scoot unless I need the other vehicle. That reminds me, I need to start my truck to keep the seals wet!

Kaos, I'm neck and neck with you for cold, I accidentally rode one morning when it was 19... I thought it was going to be warmer, lol. You're more hard-core than I - my commute's only 10 miles; you're clockin about 50 miles, right?
Yep, 50 miles round trip. No matter the weather... We'll we did have a huge windstorm that I drove one of my hotrods in instead.

Is there something wrong with me when the hotrods only go out in bad weather? :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote: Yep, 50 miles round trip. No matter the weather... We'll we did have a huge windstorm that I drove one of my hotrods in instead.

Is there something wrong with me when the hotrods only go out in bad weather? :)
Yes and no... There's something right with you, but in all the wrong ways.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

I went out today for a quick scoot run. Partly functional (grocery store), partly because I wanted to get out before the next wave of storms hit...

Low to mid-90s today with humidity somewhere in the 60% range in this Southern summer heat...

All told, it wasn't but 20-25 minutes of scooting... as long as I was going more than 20mph (yes, that speed IS in fact attainable on my Metropolitan), the mesh jacket kept air moving just fine! I sucked in only one bug today, into my helmet... :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

It was 113 in Phx today. It's been 110+ all this last week. Normally, I wish I lived further from work, but this last week...

Only 106 tomorrow. WooHoo!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah, it was over 100 for most of last month. With the humidity it was really gross, but I rode anyway...
Stop lights are torturous, but once you start going again your dripping sweat cools you off pretty good.
brush pick

Post by brush pick »

I wasn't particularly enjoying myself in the heat today. I was actually
feeling envious of the cagers and their air conditioned cars. I don't wear
a jacket but I do wear long sleeves to protect my skin from the sun.
It was in the low 90s today in Denver and I was miserably uncomfortable. But then it clouded up in the afternoon as it always
does, and I jumped on my Buddy and enjoyed about 30 minutes
of tearing around with no particular purpose in mind.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

I ride yearound myself but slack off in the summer months... my hands and arms look funny,,, Hands white from wearing cloves,,, arms very dark... I get a better ride when I can put on some protection... I do have a mesh net riding jacket with removeable pads and liner but it still hot... I do my running around in the AM as much as possable...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

the heat is just torture!!! im not very fond of riding in the summer months with the exception of cloudy days and riding either in the morning or afternoon after 7 pm, when its much cooler.

i love riding in the cold though. no matter how cold it is, i can always layer up :D
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

For anyone who is interested, here is a motorcycle windchill chart. Windchill charts are usually for 40 degrees ambient and below. But this one takes it all the way up to 100 degrees. It was published by one of the motorcycle companies a while back. I think it was Harley Davidson. Probably so since it is in degrees fahrenheit and miles per hour. As you can see windchill is there until you get up to 90 degrees, where it is essentially flat. Above that it starts going the other way and makes you feel warmer. Kind of interesting.
Attachments
Motorcycle Windchill 3.gif
Motorcycle Windchill 3.gif (41.76 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We did a group ride for a couple of hours out and back yesterday. I believe the high was around 101 or 102. I ride year round, with the exception of bad weather (rain, snow, high winds). I usually have to stop riding in the winter due more to the wind on my hands than the temperature. I'm planning on getting "Hippo Hands" this winter and see how well they knock the wind off my fingers....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
TVB

Post by TVB »

kmtscoot wrote:As you can see windchill is there until you get up to 90 degrees, where it is essentially flat. Above that it starts going the other way and makes you feel warmer. Kind of interesting.
The "tipping point" is just below your body temperature. Below that the wind is lowering your temperature, above that it's raising it.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I'm still riding. My wife's car doesn't have A/C so I'm usually pretty stoked about riding the Buddy.

It was reasonably hot this weekend, but so far our temps really haven't been that high. So I guess it's not so bad for me.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

TVB wrote:
kmtscoot wrote:As you can see windchill is there until you get up to 90 degrees, where it is essentially flat. Above that it starts going the other way and makes you feel warmer. Kind of interesting.
The "tipping point" is just below your body temperature. Below that the wind is lowering your temperature, above that it's raising it.
That makes sense. I wonder if the reason their chart tips at a little lower temp is that they're assuming a certain amount of gear is being worn. If so, they can't really know how much any given person is going to be wearing.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Koas, the is nothing wrong with only taking the rods out in bad weather. Just shows that you are hard core thru and thru. :wink:
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

PC - our meetup went from Kearney Mesa to the Stone Brewery in Escondido on Saturday. I was traumatized already since it was my first ride back since the accident but I was a little shocked at how many riders were in tank tops, shorts and flips. I was full geared and really getting hot once we were out East. All the vents in the world don't help if the air blowing through in hot. GAH!

Yesterday was worse, it got muggy, too. I'm think I'm staying coastal until October. I wear a white coat and helmet, too!!

It's everyone's individual choice, I don't feel safe going 60mph without an abrasion proof coat. I'm going to get ankle boots as my knee-highs are just unbearable.

But yeah, scooting isn't as much fun when your blood is boiling under your skin. :(
Last edited by jijifer on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've been having a great time time scooting here in Tucson. It's not as hot as Phoenix, but still pretty warm. Out of respect for my wife, I still wear all my gear. Plus, I figure if I do wind up on the road, my jacket will keep from frying in my own juices on the asphalt.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Howardr wrote:I've been having a great time time scooting here in Tucson. It's not as hot as Phoenix, but still pretty warm. Out of respect for my wife, I still wear all my gear. Plus, I figure if I do wind up on the road, my jacket will keep from frying in my own juices on the asphalt.

Howard
That's one thing I never considered until Angela told me how hot she was laying on the pavement waiting for the ambulance to arrive after our accident.

My skin is so paper thin, it's see-through and I hate to think of any of it left on the road. I usually where leggings under shorts and skirts (who am I kidding, I don't even wear shorts, just skirts) and I know they aren't as strong as denim or leather but at least it's SOMETHING. I do where capri's and the day I was in my accident I was in capris and tennis shoes. My shins were bloody, my ankle twisted and my toes sprained and one broken.

Like the undisciplined letch I am, I'm in sandels and capris today -like I'm taunting the fates to have me lose my leg from the knee down. I just couldn't imagine zipping up my leather boots all the way to my knee this morning. I will get short boots my next pay day.

Again, to each their own. I know if I see a rider go down in shorts, tank and flips and all their skin is on the road, I will likely never ride again with others. I can’t watch that gore on tv let alone see a friend suffer from gravel and dirt in open wounds even if it was their choice to take that chance.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Get youself one of the evaporative vests. I'm seriously thinking about one myself again. A friend at work uses one for his (considerably longer than my) commute, and recommends them.

I'll bet under a mesh, they'd work even better.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
brush pick

Post by brush pick »

I wonder if I would be arrested for scootering in my under shorts
TVB

Post by TVB »

brush pick wrote:I wonder if I would be arrested for scootering in my under shorts
I've never been arrested for scootering without them. :)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I was full geared and really getting hot once we were out East. All the vents in the world don't help if the air blowing through in hot. GAH!
For our ride (100+ temps) this past weekend, I was in jeans, armored mesh jacket, gloves, and 3/4 helmet with a face shield. I found that if I left the wrists of the jacket unzipped, I got a breeze to cool my forearms and that helped keep me cool-er during the ride. However, after a while, hot air is hot air and it did get a bit warm!
Get youself one of the evaporative vests.
We talked about those and one guy said they work quite well....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
laxer

Post by laxer »

Careful in those hot temperatures, ya'll, Keys just lost his engine by riding it too hot and too long (double entendre?).
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Lostmycage wrote:........Kaos, I'm neck and neck with you for cold, I accidentally rode one morning when it was 19... I thought it was going to be warmer, lol......
I accidently rode one morning when it was 7 ...... my ride is only a couple miles thou. It was still kind of painfull .... realy made me wish I had a full face helmet (or a hemet period for that matter)

I think it has only made it into the mid 90's here so far this year.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:........Kaos, I'm neck and neck with you for cold, I accidentally rode one morning when it was 19... I thought it was going to be warmer, lol......
I accidently rode one morning when it was 7 ...... my ride is only a couple miles thou. It was still kind of painfull .... realy made me wish I had a full face helmet (or a hemet period for that matter)

I think it has only made it into the mid 90's here so far this year.
Yikes! I wouldn't do that without a full face. I'm seriously geared up at 19!
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Did not make it out to ride today. Last couple of days thou I have. 100+ degree heat in full gear (Black) not so much fun. Still better the the cage with no air con. (Dumb compresser die with no warning.) But I say moving and pack water so it not killer heat.
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

I rode most of the summer in 110-114 heat (Phoenix in July and August) Buddy 150 purred right along. When it gets down to 100 here, I put a jacket on!