buddy 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

john

buddy 150

Post by john »

hi every one. for the past 30 years i have owned a 1979 vespa p200e. that i bought brand new in 79.
after 2 top end rebuilds, tires, brakes, shocks, etc a trip from conn. to colorado in 79, and 80,000 miles later. its time for a new scooter.

i have researched, vespa, piaggio, aprilia, 250s and the biggest thing that keeps popping up on the net is the parts supply problems, plus to expenseive. i was all set to get a kymco poeples or grandvista 250, but the five dealers with in 70 mile of me only have in stock up to 125CC and want me to put money down to order a 250 sight unseen. not! :x

now i have located a dealer that handles the whole piagio group and genuine scooters. the stella is basicly a p-series vespa,but a 150, i like the looks of the buddy 150.

i don't know anything about these new automatic four stroke scooters.
i need a scooter that will maintain 50 mph and at least 40 on most resonable hills. i would be the only passenger as my wife can not ride any more. but i would be carrying 30 to 40 lbs of camping gear plus i am 220 lbs. would either of these scooters fit this bill? my old vespa did just that 50 all day 35 to 40 on the long hills of course i was lighter 30 yrs ago and the old vespa did get a little slower as she got older and igot heavier.
like i said i do not know much about these new scooters. so i am calling on all you 150 buddy and stella owners for your in put. thank you and safe rideing.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Welcome to the forum John. The Stella is almost exactly a P series Vespa. It's actually made by LML in India, the same company that made the P series for Vespa in the late 70's or so. I know plenty of happy Stella owners and it certainly is a bike you would know based on your experience.

The Buddy is faster and lighter, and with a few mods can be even faster still. It is a very reliable ride. It has a CVT automatic transmission so it is twist and go. You can't really go wrong with either IMO.

Good luck on finding your new ride. Keep hanging around this forum, i't's full of some good info and some pretty nice folks.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Opps, looks like LML was making the P series in the early 80's but from 72-83 or so PGO (the maker of the Buddy) was producing parts and bikes for Vespa. I love how inbred scooters have become.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:Opps, looks like LML was making the P series in the early 80's but from 72-83 or so PGO (the maker of the Buddy) was producing parts and bikes for Vespa. I love how inbred scooters have become.
Yeah, and to make it worse, PGO had a P series clone as well. So you could swap parts between all three!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Hi John... I can't tell you technical specifics, but I can tell you I LOVE my St. Tropez (150cc). I'm 6'1, 195lbs and it does everything I need a scooter to do. I have cruised at 60-65 mph sustained with no engine strain whatsoever. I live in an area with very long, steep hills and it maintains uphill speed without issue. It handles great, is fuel efficient, dependable, comfortable... and chicks dig it! :) What more can I say. I would buy one again without hesitation.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rayk

Post by rayk »

:+!: Need I say more?
MB #2932
Ride safe.
MDMason

Post by MDMason »

Wow, substained 60-65mph up long steep hills. I need to trade my Blackjack for one of those!
Buddy_wannabe

Re: buddy 150

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

john wrote:.... i was all set to get a kymco poeples or grandvista 250, but the five dealers with in 70 mile of me only have in stock up to 125CC and want me to put money down to order a 250 sight unseen. not! :x
I work with a person with a Grandvista 250. I realy didnt care for it much at 1st but it kind of grew on me. I never drove it but I did sit on it seems like it would be a comfortable scoot. BIG under seat storage.

Still prefer vintage/retro look scooters .
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

MDMason wrote:Wow, substained 60-65mph up long steep hills. I need to trade my Blackjack for one of those!
Or you could break it in like everyone told you and be just fine :wink:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

MDMason wrote:Wow, substained 60-65mph up long steep hills...
Not what I said...

Obviously the degree of slope has some effect, as it does with a car, motorcycle, taxiing airplane... but I have on numerous occasions cruised up a local 35º incline about 1.5+ miles long at about 50-55 mph without any issue or loosing any speed... infact, I'd have to say my St. Tropez enjoys the workout :) 60-65 on your basic typical flat street (75 is my record but that was slightly downhill) is an everyday occurrence. And I have no performance mods.

For the record, I could not achieve these speeds prior to fully breaking in the engine which on my scooter felt complete at about 1500 miles.

Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I, too, have a St Tropez. I'm 6'1" 240+ lbs and my scoot does everything I need it to do. Me have serious mountains here in southern AZ. My scoot doesn't start to bog down until over about 7500-8000 feet. She'll do 55 mph (indicated) all day in everything from 25 to 115 degrees. I have a top case and through all kinds of stuff in it and haven't had a single problem, so far.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
MDMason

Post by MDMason »

Ok guys! If I keep this (because no one wants to buy it) and I put 1000 miles on it chasing cows. If it doesn't cruise (requardless of terrain) at a actual 60 mph. I'm gong to--------well----I'm just going to!!!!! Buy a Ducati!!
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Took a ride with my friend who had bought my '91 750cc Nighthawk. We were on a 50MPH posted two-lane country blacktop,
and perhaps did 10MPH above the speed limit occasionally, as some of us riders are known to do... :wink:

He was throughly amazed at how easily I was keeping right with him on my 125cc '07 Buddy! :twisted:
(I weigh about 210lbs...)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

I am 6'6" and weigh 250. I am most of the time carrying combinations of ATGATT, groceries and a laptop/work equipment.

I gotta 125 '07 buddy. I have no problem getting to about 60 indicated on the flats (though there are times, I would like to get there a little faster). It is broken in, but I have not done anything that sounds pretty simple to do (like a prima pipe, or messing with variator and/or rollers).

I do mostly stop and go, but on the few occasions of highway, I have no problem holding 50-60 indicated.

So you should be in fine shape with the 150, though most seem to say there is not that much actual difference.

PS, don't forget that Orange is the fastest color!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

MDMason wrote:Ok guys! If I keep this (because no one wants to buy it) and I put 1000 miles on it chasing cows. If it doesn't cruise (requardless of terrain) at a actual 60 mph. I'm gong to--------well----I'm just going to!!!!! Buy a Ducati!!
Seriously, hold your horses. :) A 125 can hold 60MPH quite easily once broken in, the 150's (Both the internationals AND the Blackjack) will do it too. AFTER THE BREAKIN! :)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hi john,

I have both a '79 P200e and an '08 St Tropez Buddy (a 150). While we both know the P would last you plenty more miles, I completely understand why you would want to consider a new twistie.

I find working on the Buddy very easy (not that I've done a lot of "work", but maintenance type stuff). It also can haul plenty of stuff with both a front and rear rack,a milkcrate and saddle bags. I actually find with my current set-up, I can haul a lot more stuff on the Buddy than the P because of the bonus space under the seat. (I mean really, what's in the glove box except all the tools you need in case of breakdown.)

I'm tall (5'11") and find the Buddy plenty comfortable. I weigh considerably less, but there's plenty on this board who are in your range and hit comfortable cruising speeds. I go on highways posted at 50 mph where cars are going 60-65 mph and I've been fine. It's not fun, but I can keep up with no problems. It definitely feels less substantial at those speeds than the P due to the weight difference in the bikes.

I also love the People 250 (I'd have one if I could snag a good deal) and the Grand Vista (I was just sitting on one on Thursday in JavaSpeed, my local shop), but it's much, much bigger and wouldn't be a good "in-town" scoot in my opinion because it doesn't feel very nimble.

I'm a big fan of both the P and the Buddy; I feel like the P is the Volvo of the scootering world and the Buddy is the Honda Fit of the scootering world. Cheap, made good enough with enough power, easy to work on but reliable enough, plenty of hauling capabilities, and it has a decent look about it.

And the Buddy has saved the day more than once when the P or another of our old bikes has crapped out.

By the way, what're you doing with the P? Keep or sell?

Best of luck in your decision!
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Skootz Kabootz wrote: Obviously the degree of slope has some effect, as it does with a car, motorcycle, taxiing airplane... but I have on numerous occasions cruised up a local 35º incline about 1.5+ miles long at about 50-55 mph without any issue or loosing any speed... infact, I'd have to say my St. Tropez enjoys the workout :)
Don't know what is more impressive, a road that gains 6,160 feet of elevation in just 1.5 miles or that a scooter, or for that matter, any vehicle, can even climb, let alone maintain speed on a 35 degree incline.

For frame of reference, Talladega Speedway in Alabama, a NASCAR superspeedway and the track with the steepest banking, is 33 degrees. And those cars are not climbing the banking. A 45 degree angle rises 100 feet for every 100 feet of horizontal distance. A 35 degree angle would rise approximately 78 feet for every 100 horizontal feet. Most "steep" roadways are maybe 6 or 7 degrees, and even then the grade tends not to be constant. For obvious safety reasons, roadway engineers prefer to build roads that wind, resulting in more gentle grades, especially when speeds are high.

Anyway, John, if a 150cc St. Tropez with a 195 lb rider can conquer a 1.5 mile long, 35 degree grade at 50-55 mph, even at 220 lbs plus 40 lbs of load, you should be able to maintain 40-50 mph with ease on a reasonable hill.
ScooterNews

Post by ScooterNews »

I've ridden both and while the Stella was nice, I liked the Buddy 150 better. It was faster (at least is stock form) and I really liked the CVT transmission. I come from a motorcycle background and I enjoy shifting, so I assumed I would like the Stella better but it turned out the Buddy won me over.
www.scooter-news.com

cheers,

Ryan Carden
Editor/Contributor - Scooter-News.com
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:...A 35 degree angle would rise approximately 78 feet for every 100 horizontal feet...
Jeeze, you freakin' left-brain math guys... what can I say, it's a very steep slope. :) I know what 90º's is, I know what 45º's is, I've ridden the road many times and my best guess was 35º's. If you're familiar with the Hollywood Hills you know how steep they can get. I wouldn't want to walk it.

JerryW

New Buddy 150 Owner

Post by JerryW »

I purchased my 2008 Buddy 150 Pamplona in March off of craigslist with 120 miles on it. After tax + fees I save about $1,000 from buying a new one from a dealer 22 miles away.
I quickly discovered that it had a vapor lock problem that I leaned should of been taken care of before it was initially sold in July 2008. I contacted Genuine and they took care of it through my local dealer by replacing the Emmissions Valve. That seemed to of taken care of the problem.

I'm a little confused on the warranty. I was under the impression when I purchased my scoot that the 2 yr. warranty carried with it. When I contacted Genuine I was told that the warranty was not transferrible. When I contacted the Cycle store that it was initially purchased I was told that the warranty ran with the VIN number, not the owner. Does anyone know which way it actually is.
I'm thinking that if it isn't under warranty that I may take it someplace else to get the initial service done.

From what I've been reading there is no Service Manual out yet for the Buddy 150. Can anyone tell me what services are done to the Buddy 150 on it's first visit. Also what is the best mileage to have the first service work done. And..... Is there any information available as to the amounts of fluids that are used. I understand that what is listed in the 125 service manual is not the same as for the 150.

One more question.... I have added the back rack and a top box. I would also like to add a windshield. Can anyone suggest when I can find a nice one. The guy at Scooterworks said they have one called the "Windscreen Prima-Medium -Buddy" for the 150 but didn't recommend it and said that they hope to have a nicer one coming out in late summer or fall.

I know, alot of questions, but I'm new at this. Thanks in Advance !!!!

Jerry
KABarash

Re: New Buddy 150 Owner

Post by KABarash »

JerryW wrote:I purchased my 2008 Buddy 150 Pamplona in March off of craigslist with 120 miles on it. After tax + fees I save about $1,000 from buying a new one from a dealer 22 miles away.
I quickly discovered that it had a vapor lock problem that I leaned should of been taken care of before it was initially sold in July 2008. I contacted Genuine and they took care of it through my local dealer by replacing the Emmissions Valve. That seemed to of taken care of the problem.

I'm a little confused on the warranty. I was under the impression when I purchased my scoot that the 2 yr. warranty carried with it. When I contacted Genuine I was told that the warranty was not transferrible. When I contacted the Cycle store that it was initially purchased I was told that the warranty ran with the VIN number, not the owner. Does anyone know which way it actually is.
I'm thinking that if it isn't under warranty that I may take it someplace else to get the initial service done.

From what I've been reading there is no Service Manual out yet for the Buddy 150. Can anyone tell me what services are done to the Buddy 150 on it's first visit. Also what is the best mileage to have the first service work done. And..... Is there any information available as to the amounts of fluids that are used. I understand that what is listed in the 125 service manual is not the same as for the 150.

One more question.... I have added the back rack and a top box. I would also like to add a windshield. Can anyone suggest when I can find a nice one. The guy at Scooterworks said they have one called the "Windscreen Prima-Medium -Buddy" for the 150 but didn't recommend it and said that they hope to have a nicer one coming out in late summer or fall.

Jerry
Mazeltov on the Buddy purchase, where in SC Pa. are you? I'm near E-town. I do have/had some of the same questions, I've put 800 miles on mine since March when I got mine. What dealer are you near? Carlsile is the closest to me about 40 miles.
JerryW

Post by JerryW »

KABarash wrote:
JerryW wrote: Jerry
Mazeltov on the Buddy purchase, where in SC Pa. are you? I'm near E-town. I do have/had some of the same questions, I've put 800 miles on mine since March when I got mine. What dealer are you near? Carlsile is the closest to me about 40 miles.
KABarash,
I hope I did this quote correctly. I live in Shippensburg. Exit 29 off I-81 south of Carlisle. You are right about Carlisle being the closest dealer. I work in Carlisle and I was checking out the Buddy's at that cycle shop when mine came up on Craigslist. I bought it privately in Mechanicsburg. It had a brother or sister (2008 St. Tropez). You didn't buy that one did you.
I felt a little guilty about taking it into them to replace the Emission Valve but it's only 22 miles away. They wanted $3,450 plus tax, title, etc. More than I wanted to spend for it. I was looking at a SYM HD 200 before mine came up.
I believe the Cumberland Cycle Center is probably pretty good. They didn't say anything to me about not buying it there but after dropping it off and returning 2 weeks later from a vacation they hadn't received the part and it took another 2 weeks before I got it back. They have been selling Genuine products for at least 4 yrs. and were unaware of the vapor lock problem the initial 2008 models had.
Almost forgot...... They did recommend that the initial service work be done around 600 miles. I'm sure they will appreciate the business in servicing your Buddy.
Jerry
Prairiedale

Post by Prairiedale »

Looking to Scoot-
:lol:
You might also say a Buddy can go 200 mph :rofl:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JerryW wrote:
KABarash wrote:
JerryW wrote: Jerry
KABarash,
I live in Shippensburg. I bought it privately in Mechanicsburg. It had a brother or sister (2008 St. Tropez). You didn't buy that one did you. I'm sure they will appreciate the business in servicing your Buddy.
Jerry
Yes Jerry, I did purchase it's sibling :D I'm LOVING it although I was at first looking at the Pamp! Oh well HUH??? :wink: :wink:
I'm glad you're happy with the service from the guys in Carlisle, I wasn't too impressed with them from their responces over the phone, they didn't seem to want to help. But I will be taking it there for service, hopefully they're different in person as apposed to over the phone.
firecat

Post by firecat »

JerryW wrote:I purchased my 2008 Buddy 150 Pamplona in March off of craigslist with 120 miles on it. After tax + fees I save about $1,000 from buying a new one from a dealer 22 miles away.

Jerry
I also have the Buddy Pamplona, and have the Prima windscreen. I really like it a lot.
Scooting, it's good for your mental health!
JerryW

Post by JerryW »

KABarash wrote:
JerryW wrote:
KABarash wrote: Mazeltov on the Buddy purchase, where in SC Pa. are you? I'm near E-town. I do have/had some of the same questions, I've put 800 miles on mine since March when I got mine. What dealer are you near? Carlsile is the closest to me about 40 miles.
KABarash,
I live in Shippensburg. I bought it privately in Mechanicsburg. It had a brother or sister (2008 St. Tropez). You didn't buy that one did you. I'm sure they will appreciate the business in servicing your Buddy.
Jerry
Yes Jerry, I did purchase it's sibling :D I'm LOVING it although I was at first looking at the Pamp! Oh well HUH??? :wink: :wink:
I'm glad you're happy with the service from the guys in Carlisle, I wasn't too impressed with them from their responces over the phone, they didn't seem to want to help. But I will be taking it there for service, hopefully they're different in person as apposed to over the phone.
KaBarash,
I sort of thought it was possible that you bought the sibling. My email address is tennis1004 at embarqmail dot com. Could you send me an email.
As for the cycle shop their probably not too happy that two people just all the sudden have two buddies that they didn't sell. They have at least 3 Buddy 150 and one Buddy 125 on their floor. Given the current economy their probably not selling many bikes and I know they are not making much on the Buddies and they have been setting there since last fall.
Glad you like the sibling. Chat with you later.
Jerry
JerryW

Post by JerryW »

firecat wrote:

Jerry
I also have the Buddy Pamplona, and have the Prima windscreen. I really like it a lot.
Firecat,
There are a couple Prima Windscreen's. Most do not mention for the Buddy 150. Can you tell me where you got it and the model no.
Jerry