50 + prima ....worth it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy_wannabe

50 + prima ....worth it?

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I am kind of looking at doing the Prima pipe/kit on a 50. I hear you have to repack it now and then or it gets pretty loud (how loud that is Im not sure) anyway that doesnt seem like a big deal. ..... I also hear that the Prima makes it more tempramentel(sp) to temp changes .... meaning you have to rejet for different seasons? What kind of temp range would the jets cover? I ride in winter when ever roads are clear. ..... so I ride in temp range from 10 - 100. How many different jettings? Is there any other tuning besides jets that needs to be done?

Dont know what to do.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I too am getting the stage 1 performance kit for my 50. My dealer didn't mention anything about it being more tempromental with respect to temperature after the stage 1 kit install, although when I was considering studded tires so that I could ride it reguardless of snow my dealer did tell me that if I was going to ride regularly during the winter hear in michigan I would probably want to have bigger jets put on it for the winter. Basicaly, mine hates to idle when its very cold out and I havn't even started to change out the stock parts yet. I figure I'll stick to riding my bicycle during the winter and then I don't have to worry about rejetting the scoot.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I have the stage 1 kit on my 50. The pipe and jet didn't do to much by themselves. It wasn't until the comp spring and rollers were added that I felt the difference. I still need to fine tune the rollers (went to light, jumps off the line but did not increase top end). The pipe is not that loud.
I don't know about having to swap jets when the weather changes. I have not gotten the chance to put many miles on her since the install.

If you do decide on getting the pipe....go with the kit. You need the rollers to get you in the right RPM range.
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I have the Prima pipe and I am not sure who said it isn't loud, but it is. I've re-packed mine once already and could probably do it again. My friends do not like riding on the exhaust side, and usually I ride curbside because of this. But the Prima pipe on a Buddy 50 is LOUD. Doesn't start off too loud, but the more you ride, the louder it gets.
I did an initial re-jet but do not change it for the difference in temps. I also have the Malossi 70 kit on it, so that may make a difference.
Buddy_wannabe

Re: 50 + prima ....worth it?

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Buddy_wannabe wrote: ..... I also hear that the Prima makes it more tempramentel(sp) to temp changes .... meaning you have to rejet for different seasons? What kind of temp range would the jets cover? ....... How many different jettings?
Any thoughts? ... Anyone?
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I don't re-jet and I ride from March to December and don't have a problem.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

BuddyLove wrote:I don't re-jet and I ride from March to December and don't have a problem.

THANX alot .... I kind of had myself talked out of it ... but now Im leaning the other way AGAIN :?
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I enjoy it and am glad I did it. (well along with the 70 kit) Now my buddy can fly!
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

i see blackjack has silver muff, where the silver muffer can i find?
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

The silver one you see on the black jack is only available for the 125 and 150. The Prima pipe on the buddy 50 is black