someone please warn me

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hyuuu

someone please warn me

Post by hyuuu »

I am currently working ( I AM PRODUCTIIIIVE). Really tempted to ride out and grab a lunch, but too lazy to wear my gloves + jacket like usual (will wear the helmet no matter what though).

Can someone convince me not to do this? Or are you riding regularly with this level of protection anyway?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You're gonna do what you're gonna do. I think you're asking to be lectured... which seems like a bad idea...

If you want convincing, there's no one that can do it better than yourself. Leave the gear behind and jump off at 15mph (no, really don't.). Imagine how much better it'd be with gear on? Need more convincing? Try 30mph (seriously, don't.).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i would wear the gloves and helmet :roll:
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Whatever you're comfortable with. I live in Oklahoma and it gets a bit hot and humid here. Last summer I spent a lot time riding in my flip-flops, a tank top and capris. Dangerous? Not to anyone else, and far safer than heat stroke.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Wait, sorry, I totally misunderstood. You should skip lunch, it'll just ruin your dinner.
bigcanoe

Post by bigcanoe »

I used to drive a 650cc bike, I always wore a helmet, boots, jeans, motorcycle jacket and gloves...I hated bundling up in the middle of summer! When/if I get my scooter, I will be wearing about the same stuff I think, maybe not the jacket and boots :)
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Or put on your helmet jacket and gloves and sit at your desk and make vroom vroom noises.
Last edited by LisaLisa on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

it is rather hot here too in San Jose, currently it is: 86°F it was around 90s yesterday, maybe I should get a mesh jacket. Corrazo can turn into an oven
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

oh my you NEEEEEEED that mesh jacket and you can get them on sale...

http://www.hondaeastsuperstore.com/Shop ... rid/127056
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Mesh makes summer possible, lol. that reminds me, I should bump mine, lol.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

This is a loaded question, so please remember the Modern Buddy posting guidelines before responding:
This is especially true in discussions of helmet and gear use. It's okay to share facts and personal anecdotes, but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric ("I wear a full face because I like my face," etc.) in the forum. This type of language does little to sway others who decide to assume the additional risks of wearing less gear. Though Modern Buddy encourages use of proper riding gear and helmets, we have no official policy other than not condemning others for their decisions they make regarding what they wear.
Don't thank me for this reminder, thank Eric.
EBee

Post by EBee »

Just read the posting, Very Sad Story. Enuf said. :atgatt:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

r0sa wrote:i would wear the gloves and helmet :roll:
Keep ypur gloves in your helmet, tthat way when you put the helmet on you NEED somewhere to put your gloves, your hands!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You're just looking for someone to back up your wish to ignore what inside you know is best...

Ain't gonna happen.

It's gonna be hot all summer. Dress appropriately.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:This is a loaded question, so please remember the Modern Buddy posting guidelines before responding:
This is especially true in discussions of helmet and gear use. It's okay to share facts and personal anecdotes, but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric ("I wear a full face because I like my face," etc.) in the forum. This type of language does little to sway others who decide to assume the additional risks of wearing less gear. Though Modern Buddy encourages use of proper riding gear and helmets, we have no official policy other than not condemning others for their decisions they make regarding what they wear.
Thanks very much, Lookin' To Scoot! You saved me the trouble.
ModBud #442
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I always wear my helmet, jacket (mesh for summer), good foot gear (boots or enclosed shoes - i.e. no flip-flops) and gloves.

My hands always perspire (even as I sit here and type) so my summer gloves absorb the moisture and keep my sweaty hands from slipping off. 'Cause that would REALLY ssssuuuucccckkkkk
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

had record temps here lately, so i went with helmet only. mind you, only went on slow speed neighborhood runs. just don't eat the lunch on the ride back to the office. :)
Angela

Post by Angela »

I have a problem riding with gloves. I almost had a accident due to my glove getting caught. Since I have ordered gloves specific to my weird hand size. Too bad it will take 4 weeks to get them.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Sometimes I won't wear my jacket, but I always wear my gloves, I feel naked w/o them.
-Justin-
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Just make sure you use a condom. :twisted:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Since you asked, check these out:
http://scootcrash.com/
topic635.html

http://www.1010wins.com/Man-on-Scooter- ... ns/4228961
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... ndex=85960
http://www.10news.com/news/19227966/detail.html
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward ... 96599.html

Many of these crashes involved a car or SUV hitting the scooterist. Those drivers don't really care how hot it is outside or how much of a hurry you're in.

Crash reports are probably the third most effective impetus for gearing up or changing to more protective gear. Everyone will come to these decisions themselves, in their own time, though.

Second most effective? Witnessing a crash. Several months ago, a member of our scooter group crashed in a turn and slid into an embankment. The faceshield popped right off her Shoei 3/4 helmet. She was lucky that she only needed 7 stitches in her forehead. After she was carted off in an ambulance, several of the riders who had 3/4 helmets said they planned to upgrade to a FF.

Most effective? Being in a crash. Crashing was the final straw for me. I didn't upgrade all my gear immediately, but I made the commitment to do so at that moment. Pain is a great motivator, and sometimes you just have to experience if firsthand to get that final push.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:This is a loaded question, so please remember the Modern Buddy posting guidelines before responding:
You're welcome! I really do all I can to make this as friendly, welcoming and informative a forum as possible. Guidelines like these help us avoid much of the BS many of us have experienced on other forums: pushy know-it-alls, hostility towards newbies, crappy attitudes, and having to deal with those who have nothing better to do with their time than troll around on forums and act like smartasses.

The moderators and I don't ask for your thanks. Having a forum that's as fun and helpful as this one—the kind of place we'd want to hang out if we weren't running it—is reward enough. So it's extra special when someone takes the time to show some appreciation for our endeavors.

I know I already said it, but it bears repeating: You're welcome!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Although these discussions do come up with surprisign regularity, my only problem is when people become judgmental. It's a free country, and people are going to do what they want. Lead by example.

Toward that end, I'm gonna pull on my flip-flops and go for ride...

Actually, Full-face, gloves always. Jacket unless it's just too hot. Jeans unless it's too hot and I'm on a short ride or wearing work slacks. Boots about 50 percent of the time. (I'm probably most guilty of wearing tennis shoes out of comfort). Oh, and my previous post in this thread still applies. :D
PeterC

Someone please warn me

Post by PeterC »

I just bought a mesh jacket and found, to my surprise, that even here in the desert southwest, with temperatures now hitting 90, that the mesh actually is cooler than a T-shirt or no shirt. I wear lightweight gloves, and I'll probably switch from Levis to shorts once the weather gets hot (like in the triple digits), and of course I'll continue to wear a 3/4 helmet.
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

whoa i did not realize that this topic is against the forum posting rules,
sorry if I offended anyone, I ended up microwaving chicken nuggets in the company kitchen :o
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

hyuuu wrote:whoa i did not realize that this topic is against the forum posting rules,
sorry if I offended anyone, I ended up microwaving chicken nuggets in the company kitchen :o
Your question isn't at all against posting rules. Gear topics can get a little nuts so we like to keep them factual and to the point.

I personally liked Lostmycage's suggestion to skip lunch so as to not spoil dinner!!
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Guidelines like these help us avoid much of the BS many of us have experienced on other forums: pushy know-it-alls, hostility towards newbies, crappy attitudes, and having to deal with those who have nothing better to do with their time than troll around on forums and act like smartasses.
WOW, you just summed me up on the s10forum!
-Justin-
Tenchi

Been there, done that...won't post photos, but...

Post by Tenchi »

Flipped my bike down a 30 degree grade when I locked up the twin disc brakes, and flew over the handlebars, slid 100 feet over gravel. Helmet save my noggin, jacket was shredded, jacket sleeves pulled up since I slid backwards and got some nice road rash on both forearms, but wasn't wearing GLOVES, and my palms looked like the 99 cent special ground round. Scars healed up okay, was wearing SLACKS, both knees ground down to the patellas (sticking out, nice and white under the bright lights of the emergency room, took along time to heal, wife was not amused) and I swore off being stupid. Iron Man was right...wear the right duds at all times. Never know when they will come in handy. Wife just added that I should wear knee pads...I'm married, those come with the territory. :lol:
Tenchi

Hey, Hyuuu....I live in San Jose....

Post by Tenchi »

Come take a ride up Sierra Road to Ed Levin Park. Nice ride....that's where I had my incident......alot of wild turkeys, and deer to see.
Skootz Kabootz

Re: Been there, done that...won't post photos, but...

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Tenchi wrote:... Wife just added that I should wear knee pads...I'm married, those come with the territory. :lol:
:lol: Too funny...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Re: Been there, done that...won't post photos, but...

Post by TVB »

Tenchi wrote:Wife just added that I should wear knee pads...I'm married, those come with the territory. :lol:
Odd... becoming a couple was when I stopped wearing those. ;)
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'm probably the wrong guy to warn you. I'm a SOTHGSOTHT kinda guy...Some Of The Gear, Some Of The Time...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I'm a some of the gear, some of the time guy myself...
Attachments
005.JPG
005.JPG (114.64 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

^^^ OUCH!!! ^^^

did your face shield break?!
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

One more for "Some of the gear"
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Vic

Post by Vic »

A friend of mine is still healing up from a fall he took at WKRP. He noticed his turn just as he buzzed by and turned around in a parking lot that had some gravel. Unfortunately, he lost it, he estimates his speed was roughly that of a little old lady whose wheeled walker has a flat. His denim patch jacket did not do much to protect him.

After the ride he went on home. His wife had to help him out of his jacket and shirt and they found that he had a pretty nasty bruise. An x-ray revealed he had broken his elbow. He has confirmed that an armored jacket would have prevented the injury-very likely completely.

Personally, the protection from the slide is secondary to my more immediate problem-a serious lack of melanin and the fact that most of my scooter adventures happen during hours that the UV index is high (relatively speaking-for me just about anything measurable is enough to leave me looking terminally embarrassed). Riding jackets, gloves, long pants and a ff helmet provide super-excellent sun protection! :roll:

But, it is a personal choice because in the end, you are the one that has to live with, and answer to your loved ones for, the consequences.

-v