A moderator and a n00b

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

polianarchy

A moderator and a n00b

Post by polianarchy »

Yay for financing! I put my down payment yesterday and pick her up next week. Introducing:

Leather Tuscadero (Pinky's sister, but y'all knew that)!

So, what would y'all recommend a n00b who's never shifted a scooter (just a car or three, heh) study before she starts riding? I've perused The Gentle Art of Shifting and plan on purchasing the P-series Haynes Manual. I'm already covered for gear, and I've been promised a good riding lesson & intro to maintenance by a dude at Philadelphia Scooters (best shop EVERRR!). I've been lurking the Stellaspeed forums for um, years. :oops: Anything I'm missing?
Last edited by polianarchy on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

If you have smaller hands, I highly recommend a dog lever. It's super easy to let off too quickly and the sense of awe and wonder at your first wheelie is quickly overwhelmed by the feel of hard, cold pavement. :oops:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I have VERY small hands (I wear either an XS or S glove). Thank you VERY much, lmyers! What a valuable tip.
ModBud #442
hackett

Post by hackett »

Congrats! I'm quite jealous. The Buddy is the first vehicle I've owned that is automatic... I miss shifting.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Yes, the dog leg levers are nice.

Just be gentle, be prepared for the fun.

I didn't wheelie mine my first time, but I did have my feet down and ready and I eased the clutch out super gentle like.

Sadly, another lady who purchased hers the same time as me, picked hers up on the day of the rally and dumped it in front of 30+ scooterists. We felt bad for her.

Don't do that.

Oh, yeah, make sure to get your kit together. 2T oil, extra cables, that sort of thing. Never know when you might need it.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats, poli! Please allow me to thinly conceal my jealousy.

Oh, 4T Stella… come to California soon!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Thanks for the advice, alienmeatsack! I've been promised a riding lesson by one of the amazing dudes from Philadelphia Scooters, and I'm definitely going to stock up on cables & 2T oil. My friend uvulic also clued me in to buying a tire stand. I mean, I'll have Roadside Assistance for two years, but there are mos def areas of Philly I do not want to be stranded.

Keep those n00b tips coming! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's following this thread.

ericalm, why don't you buy a used Stella? I've seen plenty of lovely CA ones on scoot.net
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

When you do your preride checks on tire pressure and such, don't forget to check the spare's pressure too.
Some folks like to keep a small fuel bottle along with their 2T bottle on hand. (Something like this: http://www.tylertool.com/fuel60.html?ut ... googlebase)

If you do a lot of commuting, a rear rack and some bungie cords are a must obviously.

To make maximum use of your glove box, get some velcro and stick it to the back and inside of the glove box door. You can stick stuff there like your insurance card, small tools, etc so they are easier to find. Digging in the glovebox sucks.

Tool wise, the stuff that comes with it is OK, but I also keep
  • a decent flathead screwdriver (better than the one it comes with)
    pair of needle nose pliers
    zip ties
    some electrical tape
    duct tape
Invest in some ziplocks and put everything in those to keep them dry and make it easier to find things.
  • Toss in an extra pair of gloves and a pair of extra sunglasses
    $5-10 for emergency gas
If you are super organized, you could put some kind of pouch with pockets on the inside of the door to help hold stuff too.
  • Keep extra spark plugs on hand
    A few tail/brake bulbs (LED = good)
    A waterproofed copy of your roadside assistance and other emergency numbers
There are some great "lists" for kits on Stella Speed. Let me see if I can find some and list them here. Everyone has different needs and such, but it's good to see a list you can then pick thru and make your personal list from.

r
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:ericalm, why don't you buy a used Stella? I've seen plenty of lovely CA ones on scoot.net
Well… here's how this goes… If I want a Stella, it's all about convincing the wife that "we" need one to ride. She's convinced already, but for whatever reason she doesn't want a used scooter. Even when we replaced her totaled Buddy, she said it wasn't the same as the first one and her enthusiasm for riding diminished. This may make the wife seem overly particular or fussy, but she's usually not. She has a few idiosyncrasies, as we all do, and this is one of them. Maybe it started after she bought her first new car. I don't know. But since she has few other peculiarities, many of which are somehow endearing, I'm quite willing to indulge this one.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I have the perfect solution, ericalm. You buy a new Stella, I'll tag it here in Oklahoma and ride the hell out of it for 7500 miles and then you can move it to CA and tag it in 2 months. I'd even buy the gas and change the gear oil :)
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Thats a great deal, you should totally take that offer! :D

And while you are at it, buy me a new scooter too D:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Luckyyyyyyyyyyy... that is awesome, I love me some Stella. A friend of mine is going
to teach me to shift later this week on a Stella, but his has a side car which might be
a bit different, but I least I won't do a wheelie and fall over! :lol:

In reality he has done a wheelie with the sidecar on, but I think it will take a lot more oomph.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lmyers wrote:I have the perfect solution, ericalm. You buy a new Stella, I'll tag it here in Oklahoma and ride the hell out of it for 7500 miles and then you can move it to CA and tag it in 2 months. I'd even buy the gas and change the gear oil :)
That's no different from a used one. Are you trying to trick me?
How about: I buy a new Stella, bring it to CA, borrow a speedo with 7500 miles+ on the odo and swap it out, register it and go!

Actually, if I had the scratch right now I know someone selling a CA-registered PX150 Serie America limited (to 500) edition with under 600 miles on it. ::drool::
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
Actually, if I had the scratch right now I know someone selling a CA-registered PX150 Serie America limited (to 500) edition with under 600 miles on it. ::drool::
I see a PX150 for sale on the San Diego craigslist, CA registered.

I want a Stella, I've been looking around for one to purchase. I've been looking in AZ and Nevada. I want to shift.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Angela wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I see a PX150 for sale on the San Diego craigslist, CA registered.

I want a Stella, I've been looking around for one to purchase. I've been looking in AZ and Nevada. I want to shift.
They're very similar scooters (both shift), just built in different places by different companies. The Stella's origin, though, is as a clone of the PX's predecessor, the P150. The paint's nicer on the PX (IMHO), and the Serie America has a beautiful leather seat.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Oh polianarchy! Are you getting the windscreen with your Stella? If you are, great. If you aren't, you're going to have to do something with the mirrors if you want to see anything other than your shoulders in them. And when you figure out what to do, let me know :)
Angela

Post by Angela »

If I was able to get a Stella in CA I would have gotten that instead of my Buddy. Now I can't imagine life without my Buddy.

I still would like to add a Stella to the family as well as a Vespa or 2.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Yes, I'm getting a windscreen. I told my dealer I wanted the "medium" one, but I think they're only available in small & large. Let's see what he comes up with! Also, lmyers: are you certain those dog levers work on the Stella? I was told that dog levers wouldn't work on the Stella...something about disc brake cables.

alienmeatsack, I'm printing out your list. Thank you so much for the tips! :D
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Both lmeyers and myself have the dog leg clutch lever and they work great. I have somewhat short fingers and it helps keep the reach shorter.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

So you kept the brake lever stock? Hmm. Doesn't that get confusing?
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Not at all.

There is a distinct difference in how each works and feels.

Clutch is usually a 4 finger, full pull (aka to the grip).
FBrake is usually 2-4 fingers (i do 3, keeping my pointer on the grip), part pull (aka until it grips, about half way in)

Holding the FBrake in is much different than holding the clutch. It makes more sense when you are sitting in traffing clutching in and out as you putter along.

If that makes sense?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Angela wrote:If I was able to get a Stella in CA I would have gotten that instead of my Buddy. Now I can't imagine life without my Buddy.

I probably would have bought one instead of my Vespa, which was bought before the Buddy was available. Woulda coulda… now I want one!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

alien dude, thanks again for the useful explanation. I think I got it, and I'm certain it will make more sense after I actually start riding. I hope I get her sometime this week! *fingers crossed*

Fair Warning: I AM GOING TO BUY ALL THE SCOOTERS MUA HA HA...just not now, and not all at once. :wink: If I turn out to not totally suck at learning how to operate and maintain my Stella, then I intend to (eventually) purchase some sort of old Vespa to "restore." Of course, this will require me to actually live somewhere (Austin) with my own garage. BABY STEPS.
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Glad to help.

Just remember that a Stella is a living being and needs love, hugs, and attention. This includes keeping your fuel lever turned off when not riding, keeping the 2T oil full, breaking the motor in properly, and not blowing it up in 3 months. 0:D

The lever thing will make sense when you ride the first time. Have the shop walk you thru everything, from shifting/clutching, accessing the spare and how to change the spare, what the tools are for, etc.

Then hug them and thank them and sputter away happy. :D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Can do. I <3 hugging my shop! :D
ModBud #442
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
Angela wrote:If I was able to get a Stella in CA I would have gotten that instead of my Buddy. Now I can't imagine life without my Buddy.

I probably would have bought one instead of my Vespa, which was bought before the Buddy was available. Woulda coulda… now I want one!
The boyfriend, who really wanted a Blackjack (until he test rode one and didn't care for it) not really wants a Stella and/or vintage Vespa. I want a Vespa GTS 250. I think the 4 scooters would be nice.

All this Stella info is way helpful. Gives me a lot to think about. I am learning to shift on my little brothers '68 Vespa VBB. Its a whole different animal than my Buddy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:Fair Warning: I AM GOING TO BUY ALL THE SCOOTERS MUA HA HA...
Just got an idea! Must make t-shirts:

ALL YOUR SCOOTS ARE BELONG TO US.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

PATENT PENDING!!! (j/k)
ModBud #442
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote: ALL YOUR SCOOTS ARE BELONG TO US.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Doing a quick search, I found that expression used several times in the past. As far back as 93. Sorry. :D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

O RLY? I thought it was ALL UR BASE R BELONG TO US.

Dang, and now I just lost the game. Sigh.
ModBud #442
Angela

Post by Angela »

alienmeatsack wrote:Doing a quick search, I found that expression used several times in the past. As far back as 93. Sorry. :D
Its an old internet joke thing from a badly translated video game.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Yes, I know. But I was pointing out after a mention of patenting or trademarking or whatever was made jokingly, that someone had in fact used that same expression quite a few years ago. Thus bursting the bubble and profit that would be gained from t-shirt and such.

My evil plan worked too.

Muwhahaahahha ha haaha ha h... a.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

And now I lost the game AGAIN! Ugh, you people. :sigh:
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I could still profit from t-shirt sales. I doubt Namco (or whoever) gets a nickel for every use of "ALL YOUR BASE."

I will PWN this.

(Did I just LEVEL UP? I think I may have. What does it feel like?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cilLKufYOhE
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

polianarchy wrote:Image
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

oh no you di-int!
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

In case you are an info freak, here are links to the Owners Manual and the Shop Manual.

Genuine Stella Owners Manual

Genuine Stella Shop Manual

Genuine Criminal Manuel:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Verdad! :shock:
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

So, did you get the Stella or what?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Ya dude. It rules! Now, if only I can stop stalling at stoplights. Practice, practice, practice!
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

So all the hype, then no post after you got it? What, you don't love us enough to share? :D

:pPPp

yea! for you! Does the clutch/brake stuff I talked about make sense now? Is your left wrist sore as crap yet? :D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Hype? There was hype?! Can *I* have some hype, please? :bat:

Okeh, here:

My left wrist, hand, and heck, my entire left forearm cramped up so hard after my first hour of riding. I live in South Philadelphia, which is a very urban part of the world. It's all stoplights and heavy traffic, especially on the weekends.

I'd be chugging along happily in 2nd Gear towards the vacant parking lot behind the IKEA, when I'd hit a red light. I'd successfully stop, downshift into Neutral, and prepare for the green. Then, green means go, but I don't. I stall, and the five soufi'deffya yobbos behind me start leaning on their horns and yelling obscenities at me. I choke. I hop off, roll her over to the side of the road, and try, try again, all the while waving the sportsfans past and eating their sh!t. Sigh.

I've had two days like that, where I practice once in the morning, and then again for an hour at dusk, giving my arm (and my pride, sheesh!) a chance to heal. We experienced ten days of incessant rain, and then I got really sick this weekend. :cry: Yeah, now I haven't ridden my brand new scooter in nearly a month. I made myself a promise that I'd ride her to work every day this week, but my sinuses are standing in my way. So yeah dude, there's been no news because there's been NO NEWS, other than my complete and utter FAIL. :oops:
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

alienmeatsack wrote:yea! for you! Does the clutch/brake stuff I talked about make sense now?
Also, YES, it totally does now. Between your awesome pointers, the riding lesson I got from Larry from Philadelphia Scooters (best dealer ever!) the diagram Sean from Philadelphia Scooters (best dealer, ever!!!) drew for me, and the website Dan from Philadelphia Scooters (BEST DEALER EVARRR, did ya know?) pointed me to http://bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20of%20shifting.htm , I've totally got it down. Except, ya know, I need to give it more gas when coming out of a red light... :roll:
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

The not riding due to rain thing I can understand. We are on I think day 17 of rain here and I've had maybe 4 hours of riding in the last 3 weeks.

Stop being sick.

Your arm and wrist/hand will be sore for a bit. I had problems with the inside of the thumb where it held the back of the grip getting super mega sore too.

Starting from a stop is not so hard, once you get used to the clutch and the gas needed vs the angle you are at. I tend to stop using my f/r brakes, then use the rear at the light to hold me still. Then that way when I take off, my throttle hand is free to throttle and the foot down there can release the brake as I am taking off.

I still occasionally kill it at lights on this new motor, so dont worry, be happy.

It will get easier to shift as you wear it in too, that helps.

Woot, go scooter Stella go! :D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:D You rule, dude. I've been a bit down about my lack of 'progress.' I've got a lot going on right now, so I'm not 100% scooter-minded like I was when I got the Buddy. My scooter pals think I'm being too hard on myself. And I quote: "You haven't popped a wheelie or dropped the bike, so you're doing great!"
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:And I quote: "You haven't popped a wheelie or dropped the bike, so you're doing great!"
:+!: fwiw, I think staying vertical is way more impressive than stalling is embarrassing.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Image on the wheelie/drop thing. A lot of peeps do that in their first days of riding it.

I think since you have scooter experience that helps a lot. It's just a completely different beast from a Buddy or similar, so it requires a little rethinking of "how it goes" and its personality is all. :)
Angela

Post by Angela »

I am working up towards a Stella whether I wait for the CA legal or register one at my mom's house in AZ. I plan on getting one.

My little bro lets me practice on his 1968 Vespa VBB, how does the Stella compare? If I can ride the VBB will I have issues with a Stella?

Also, I know with a car the clutch has to be broken in, is this the same with a scooter?

Excuse my naivete but I am not very mechanical at all.

Sorry to hijack the thread.