Buddy Inventories

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

V4V

Buddy Inventories

Post by V4V »

Hello everyone. This is my first post with a question, and I would first like to say hello. I believe that after much back and forth thought, that I have decided that the Buddy is for me. As much as I would love one right now, I would really rather wait for the buying hysteria to calm down a bit. So that brings be to my question. Does anyone know if the inventories will be improving say around October-ish or do you think it will be longer?

I am really enjoying lurking around here.....so much activity and info. :D
This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it.
satyr2k2

Post by satyr2k2 »

I have no proof to back this up, but my guess is that the warmer weather and fair season is really what has propelled scooter-dom into such ravenous popularity... that and the gas prices.

I can't imagine that come later in the year, when it's not so warm out anymore, that people will still be snatching up every small-engine vehicle they can find.

I know that when I looked earlier this year, maybe in March, there were TONS to choose from. I could have walked out of the dealership with any one of the Int'l series and any color of the regular Buddys that I wanted. I'd say you'd have an easier time in October, but hey- if you don't have to wait until October, I'd say just get your name on a list now!
Member #: 2657

<a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/casey.hunt/ ... directlink"> Pictures of Gino</a>
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Buddys are trickling in right now. However, I don't think you'll see a very good selection until late September to late October.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think it depends on a couple things. Cooler/rainy weather would suggest slower sales, but I think it is offset by gas prices. The boom in scooter sales is directly related to the price of gas. The explosion occured when gas hit the $4.00/gallon threshold. If gas were to fall back to $3.00/gallon, I think scooter sales will slow a bit. But sales won't fall off completely, because everyone knows any lull in gas prices will be short-lived. In addition, I think there will be a big boom in sales for Christmas presents. So I think sales will remain brisk regardless of summer being over. I think it will be easier to get one, but not to the point where scooter shops will have lots of inventory sitting around. October is probably the sweet spot.
maribell

Post by maribell »

I'd say October would be a good bet. And depending on what part of the country you live in, you could try waiting until the winter to see if any of the people that bought one over the summer pussy out when it comes to the cold weather and sell their scooters.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Where are you from. The best dealer in the Northeast is due to get a handful more in later this month from what the rumor mill reports.

If you're somewhere else, you're SOL until October. I might wait for the Buddy 200.

WHAT? Did he say 200cc on a Buddy? Why, yes. Yes he did.

Search the threads for it. You'll be surprised.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

satyr2k2 wrote:... I'd say just get your name on a list now!
+1
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

sotied...

200cc Genuine is what you mean? You will probably need a 200cc either way it goes huh?
gt1000

Re: Buddy Inventories

Post by gt1000 »

V4V wrote:Hello everyone. This is my first post with a question, and I would first like to say hello. I believe that after much back and forth thought, that I have decided that the Buddy is for me. As much as I would love one right now, I would really rather wait for the buying hysteria to calm down a bit. So that brings be to my question. Does anyone know if the inventories will be improving say around October-ish or do you think it will be longer?

I am really enjoying lurking around here.....so much activity and info. :D
Welcome to MB. You're asking one of those questions without any one correct answer. The bike market is seasonal, if you live in a place with seasons. Once that first frost hits, traffic in the shops slows down, service slots open up and any demo bikes on the lot go up for sale, typically at a nice discount. Shops usually switch over to "winter hours" too.

Now, depending on your location and the number of dealers you have, you might be able to find a better selection of colors or work a better deal in September or October than you would now. On the other hand, you'd be missing out on the best three months of the riding season. If it's me in this situation, I'd do whatever it takes to find the bike I want right away so I can break it in and enjoy a couple of months of truly magnificent riding weather.

A lot of shops will charge MSRP plus fees no matter what season. Some might shave off a few bucks or work a deal on some accessories, but face it, you're not going to make a killing on a sub $3000 scoot by waiting.

Definitely get on a waiting list if one exists. I'm starting to see new Buds on one of the local lots so you might be pleasantly surprised.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

Scoot Richmond just posted this photo tonight:

So I'd say they're doing okay for inventory...
Scottiver

Post by Scottiver »

What a great picture. Look at all those Buddy's!
V4V

Post by V4V »

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Guess I need to fill out my profile. I'm in Florida, and I am looking for the 125 Buddy, any color really, but it sounds like October-November may just be right time. I would go ahead and get on the list but I'm not quite ready to let go of the deposit money :wink: just yet. As for the price, I am not really looking for a "deal" I just like the idea of being able to walk around a few and pick the one I want. I'm odd that way. I just want to make sure that my new friend doesn't have a blemish :D
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

V4V,
I am in MN, so to me FL has perfect scooting weather all year round, so I am not rure in FL demand will decrease much. Additionally, once the heating season starts, gas prices will probably go up again which might keep the demand in fair weather states (such as FL) going 12 months a year.

In any case, it will be interresting to see if in areas such as the midwest cooler temps bring back cooler minds and the buying frenzy slows down.

Good luck and welcom aboard !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I heard a rumour that Genuine is catching up with demand. Unless you are still waiting for a black or red scoot, you should be able to get them pretty soon.
Attachments
img028.jpg
img028.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
V4V

Post by V4V »

EP, I hope 7eregrine is right, then I will be a happy Buddy owner. :D
As for the color, I think I really don't mind what color, I like them all and each has its own appeal. As for the FL weather you are correct, 12 months of scooting is definitely doable, so the buying may continue.

So here's to hoping they are ramping up production.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Just got back from vacation and my local dealer has inventory again. Buddys, Stellas and Roughhouses in stock again. De Pere (Green Bay) is probably a bit to far to drive from Florida but if you're in the area and looking..........
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

A week ago I was at Metro Scooter in Cincinnati, and they had a parking lot full of newly arrived Buddys and Stellas.

One might think that meant they're readily available.

Then I noticed they all had "SOLD" stickers on them.

I expect once the temperature drops below 70 during the day sales will drop off some, but I know Metro Scooter was even selling Buddys in March this year, so who knows?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Benihana

Post by Benihana »

Greetings from windy Texas! Long time lurker, first time poster here. It seems like many people reference the fact that shipments are "speeding up". It looks like the July shipments just arrived at dealers, any word on the August and September shipments? I'm waiting on a Pamplona in the September shipment. Thanks for all the info on here, y'all rock!
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

They aren't doing 'monthly shipments' at this point. They are sending scooters out whenever they can get their hands on them. As far as I can tell, the shop near me gets a shipment roughly every 2 weeks.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Benihana

Post by Benihana »

That's interesting... The dealers around here refer to their shipments like they come in on a monthly basis. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding my dealer; I would love to have my Buddy sooner!
Xena

Post by Xena »

I am not so confident that cooler weather will quell this scooter craze...I think Buddy, Stella, etc. have such a rgeat name now, people will want to get one whenever they can in preparation for the upcoming riding season, depending on where they live.

I bought mine in March and there were plenty of scoots being sold in the winter months here...