windscreen?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sestark

windscreen?

Post by sestark »

For those of you Buddy owners, do you have a windscreen? Trying to decide if I should have one or not.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Yes, No, and Yes. I had a small Cupuini and didn't like it and sold it. Currently do not have a windscreen, but have bought a Medium Prima. I tried the med. and it covers me better. I like using windscreens in the Spring and Fall when the temp is down, but when Summer hits, I plan on running without one.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I dont have one.

$0.02

I dont really like the look of them.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Great for rain. If designed right, you should be able to look over it and the wind will still be diverted over your head. No buffeting. You can still duck behind it when the rain is beating you to death. Stops rocks, great big bugs and small parts that fly off of vehicles in front of you.

But you really don't have to have one. I just like them because of the above.

Dennis
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A mid-sized windshield will give you modest improvements in top speed, hill climbing power, acceleration and MPGs. By modest, I mean maybe an extra 2-3mph when you need it, depending on a lot of factors.

I like the way some of them look.. For the Buddy, I liked the older ones for the '06 Buddys that came down around the headlight and the Cuppini style screens. The Prima ones and "universal" windscreens that sit over the light, not so much.

As the pics I posted in this thread show, a windshield also adds to some of that classic mod scooter flavor if you care about such things.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I personally hate to ride without one. It's so nice to NOT be beaten to death by a high wind an pounded by bugs when I'm scooting like a rocket down the highway!

I honestly HATE riding without a windshield. With the shield, the wind is no factor to me (unless it is very windy); without it, I just don't enjoy riding at all. I hate the constant buffetting and the wind hits off my chest up into my helmet, which can make for a dangerous situation.

I had a medium Prima windshield which covered me well enough even if it was a little square. I now have a small Genuine windshield which gives about the same cover (a little wind on the shoulders is the only difference) and works as well IMHO.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I prefer riding with one, keeps the bugs and wind off of you. I purchased the large windscreen and cut about 9" inches out of the top. The small was just too small to do any good for my large body.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Winter, Fall, I use the Buddy screen to keep the cold off my chest. Spring and summers I find more fun riding w/o it.... 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

I'm looking forward to pickin one up before the winter month's![/code]
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I hate windscreens, but i just bought one for the Blur because it was too cheap to pass up. We'll see. : )

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

My Medium Prima arrived today. I will mount it tomorrow night and then give you all my opinions of it. It took a while to get it from Scooterworks as it was on backorder.
www.twincitiesrider.com
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I mounted my Prima Medium windscreen. It comes without directions, but easy to figure out. It is very windy today so it was a good 1st test.
I seem to have lost about 5 mph top end and may loose a little MPG's too.
Side winds didn't make any difference than without a windscreen.
Covered my face a lot better then the Cupuini Short did and I can now ride without a face shield.
Due to the straight cut off bottom, I did get more up draft that blew up my coat, but protected my chest area.
Overall it did most of what I wanted a windscreen to do and it is a keeper for me and for $70 a lot cheaper than the short screen.
I'm 5'9" tall. I may try and redesign something to stop the up draft and I may remove it during the warm summer months and use it mostly during the cold spring and fall seasons. Well that's it...happy riding folks. Dibber
www.twincitiesrider.com