Scooter stalls when stopped after 30 minutes of driving

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ItalianBoy

Scooter stalls when stopped after 30 minutes of driving

Post by ItalianBoy »

Hey all, I could use a little help.

I have a 2006 125 Buddy that I had let sit over a couple winters with bad gas. Rather than doing a full rebuild of the carb, I opted to just purchase a new "Genuine Buddy 125 Stock Carburetor w/adjustable mix" from Scooterworks.

Everything is installed, and it runs great...for about 30 minutes. After that when I stop at a light the scooter will stall out and die. Sometimes it will immediately restart, other times it may require a small wait.

I have tested the vacuum petcock and it seems to be functioning. Does anyone else have any ideas? This is rather frustrating.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Might be the stator.
tenders

Post by tenders »

When were the valves last adjusted? Difficult warm starts are a hallmark symptom of the need for an adjustment.

Is the idle speed (the adjustment on the carb with a thumbwheel) simply set a little too low for current temperature conditions?

Stator: deep into the second order list of symptoms. Easy to troubleshoot with a 12V voltmeter/USB accessory plugged into the lighter jack.
ItalianBoy

Post by ItalianBoy »

1) I don't think ever
2) I adjusted it up a little. My understanding is that you turn it up just to the point that the rear wheel is turning on its own and stop
3) I can Google, but is there a recommended video explaining this? I have a voltmeter
tenders wrote:When were the valves last adjusted? Difficult warm starts are a hallmark symptom of the need for an adjustment.

Is the idle speed (the adjustment on the carb with a thumbwheel) simply set a little too low for current temperature conditions?

Stator: deep into the second order list of symptoms. Easy to troubleshoot with a 12V voltmeter/USB accessory plugged into the lighter jack.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Monitor the voltage to make sure it's reasonably steady over a range of RPMs with the engine cold and warm, and that it's between about 12.5-12.8V and 14.1V.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

This is a common tell for a stator (or rather the pickup coil) being out of spec, and due for replacement. Happens now and again with all bikes. Bet money a new stator will fix the problem.