Fuel Gauge and Horn Won't Work on Buddy 125 - 2nd Fuse?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

runtotorun121

Fuel Gauge and Horn Won't Work on Buddy 125 - 2nd Fuse?

Post by runtotorun121 »

All right, so I found and bought my 10 amp fuse to put in down in the battery compartment. Hooked up battery tender last night, and this morning he started right up after two years of sitting. :)

So on to part two. Since I moved here 6 yeara ago, when I started it up the first time after he's been sitting the first couple of years I noticed the corn and the fuel gauge were not working. Just in case I'm unaware of something simple, I'm wondering if there is a hidden second fuse somewhere that might be controlling both of those things? :-)

Thanks in advance for your time and reply. If that's not the issue and you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Kristie
~Celebrate~
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I can't help you, but I'm glad you found your fuse! Did you find it at NAPA as I suggested?
buzzvert

Re: Fuel Gauge and Horn Won't Work on Buddy 125 - 2nd Fuse?

Post by buzzvert »

runtotorun121 wrote:All right, so I found and bought my 10 amp fuse to put in down in the battery compartment. Hooked up battery tender last night, and this morning he started right up after two years of sitting. :)

So on to part two. Since I moved here 6 yeara ago, when I started it up the first time after he's been sitting the first couple of years I noticed the corn and the fuel gauge were not working. Just in case I'm unaware of something simple, I'm wondering if there is a hidden second fuse somewhere that might be controlling both of those things? :-)

Thanks in advance for your time and reply. If that's not the issue and you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Kristie
Corn is delicious.

That said, I suspect there is a likely wiring harness or ground issue in your instrument cluster. Speedo would still work because it's mechanical. There are only two fuses on the Buddy- the main barrel fuse at the battery and a 1A (or slightly larger on older models) fuse at the accessory port. Neither would cause your condition. I would pull the front cover and headlight assembly cover, tighten all couplings, look for pinched wires and attack it with a multimeter. IF I had to put money on anything, I'd suspect a grounding issue- in which case there's nothing wrong with adding an additional ground wire to the frame (this will make some purists cringe).