A $10 trunk?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eggsalad

A $10 trunk?

Post by eggsalad »

Since my Buddy came with the Prima rack, I've contemplated owning a trunk. There are a lot of nice trunks for big money, but I wasn't sure how useful I'd find one, so I didn't want to spend that.

Poked around some classifieds for used trunks. but people don't have the keys, or the locks, or the hardware and by the time you pay for all that stuff, might as well get a new one.

Then a dealer of Chinese scooters, etc. posted a FB ad for new scooter trunks for $10. Well, what the heck?!? So I went today and looked. Okay, it's cheap and flimsy, but it's TEN frikkin bucks!!

Since it's universal, took some finagling to mount, but I like a challenge. So now I have a $10 trunk.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does it fit on the back of your Buddy? General terminology for those are top boxes (topboxes).

Hope you like it!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I'd call it a top box, or a top case, but the ad was for a scooter trunk, and that's what I bought.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Snytax shaming not allowed. Can't we all just get along?
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

DeeDee wrote:Snytax shaming not allowed. Can't we all just get along?
The correct term is, "vocabulary shaming."

:P
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

What is Syntax shaming???
tenders

Post by tenders »

It’s making fun of somebody whose computer code is unnecessarily complex.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

tenders wrote:It’s making fun of somebody whose computer code is unnecessarily complex.
:lol:
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Oh, what a shame! LOL!
BayStateScooterist

Re: A $10 trunk?

eggsalad wrote:Since my Buddy came with the Prima rack, I've contemplated owning a trunk. There are a lot of nice trunks for big money, but I wasn't sure how useful I'd find one, so I didn't want to spend that.

Poked around some classifieds for used trunks. but people don't have the keys, or the locks, or the hardware and by the time you pay for all that stuff, might as well get a new one.

Then a dealer of Chinese scooters, etc. posted a FB ad for new scooter trunks for $10. Well, what the heck?!? So I went today and looked. Okay, it's cheap and flimsy, but it's TEN frikkin bucks!!

Since it's universal, took some finagling to mount, but I like a challenge. So now I have a $10 trunk.
My Buddy 150 came with an over sized top case. Still a 10 lb max rating.
Attachments
smallBuddy09TopCase.jpg
smallBuddy09TopCase.jpg (156.42 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
tenders

Post by tenders »

Load and drive carefully with that nice big case. My friend has one of similar size and the previous owner apparently loaded it up and drove it hard. The extra torque cracked the top of the forward left tube into which the rack is screwed, so the case wobbled. This wasn't particularly noticeable with an empty case, but over time this wobble slightly bent the rack and took a bite out of the seat vinyl on both sides before the problem was identified.

The fix was to sink an extra-long bolt into the top of the tube, into a tapped replacement plug made of glass-reinforced epoxy. It seems to be holding...for now.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

It would be nice to have a case that big for storing my 3/4 helmet when parked. It barely crams into the underseat storage, but when I do that, the helmet can be uncomfortably warm when I get out of the store.

Unfortunately, my 3/4 helmet doesn't fit into my $10 trunk (or top box, for the pedants)
tenders

Post by tenders »

That big top box/case/trunk might be 40 liters or more in size.

But a 30 liter size is adequate for a full-face helmet.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Who's shaming?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BayStateScooterist

tenders wrote:That big top box/case/trunk might be 40 liters or more in size.

But a 30 liter size is adequate for a full-face helmet.
It is a Saddlemen 48 liter top case. I have been careful not to put too much weight in it.

Check out this link: https://saddlemen.com/hc2900-hard-case- ... -universal
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I have a Givi topcase for my Buddy. It's kinda big (not sure of the size) but it sure holds a lot and I can put my medium size modular helmet inside with ease. Same helmet won't fit under the seat. Looks a little ridiculous in my eyes. I've routinely carried 20-25 lbs of stuff in it without issue. Well, other than the rear rack breaking once, but I've fixed that. I have a Givi mount on my Blur too so I can transfer the case from one scoot to the other.
Attachments
Buddy with topcase 2.jpg
Buddy with topcase 2.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Buddy with topcase 1.jpg
Buddy with topcase 1.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

eggsalad wrote:It would be nice to have a case that big for storing my 3/4 helmet when parked. It barely crams into the underseat storage, but when I do that, the helmet can be uncomfortably warm when I get out of the store.

Unfortunately, my 3/4 helmet doesn't fit into my $10 trunk (or top box, for the pedants)
Update: Boy, I can be a real jamoke sometimes. I was still sad because my helmet didn't fit. I was 2cm from closing the top. I thought about trying to heat the plastic to stretch that 2cm bubble into the top.

And then I turned my helmet around the other way. Now, I really don't know what this changed, because the box is symmetrical. But now the box was within 5mm of closing. So I adjusted the latch and the catch to their maximum end of travel. Now the lid is 2mm shy of closing, and since it's so flimsy, I've got enough give to squeeze the box closed with my helmet inside.
BayStateScooterist

Re: A $10 trunk?

BayStateScooterist wrote:
eggsalad wrote:Since my Buddy came with the Prima rack, I've contemplated owning a trunk. There are a lot of nice trunks for big money, but I wasn't sure how useful I'd find one, so I didn't want to spend that.

My Buddy 150 came with an over sized top case. Still a 10 lb max rating.
Unfortunately the oversized case anchor mount broke. All well, kinda looked ugly. Replaced it with a color coordinated K Max 30 top case. Looks great �.