Restricting a 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Paul Meyer

Restricting a 150

Post by Paul Meyer »

Can I restrict my Buddy 150 by inserting one or more shims to limit it to 30 MPH?
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I know this is a smart-arse answer, but you could always start dating large women. Speed problem solved.

We normally want our machines modified to go faster so they keep up with traffic. I have to ask... Why slower?

Why not just trade in for a 49cc instead of experimenting with the variator to limit the ratio?
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Why not just keep the speed below 30 mph if that is what you want? I would have said that there was never anyone who complained that their scooter wouldn't go slow enough - but it looks like I would be wrong.

(and for what it's worth, I know Roseburg fairly well - where do you plan to go that you would never want or need to exceed 30 mph?)
tenders

Post by tenders »

Dooglas wrote:Where do you plan to go that you would never want or need to exceed 30 mph?)
Just a guess on my part but maybe everywhere, if one lacks a motorcycle endorsement on one's license, and one's DMV is closed indefinitely for permit and road tests.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Swap in a carb from a 50cc 4t Buddy.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Restricted or not, 150cc will never be legal without insurance or a cycle endorsement.

If you want to limit top speed for a child rider on private property, why not restrict throttle travel?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tenders wrote:Just a guess on my part but maybe everywhere, if one lacks a motorcycle endorsement on one's license, and one's DMV is closed indefinitely for permit and road tests.
And one's local LEOs are extremely nearsighted so they can't make out the 150 prominently displayed on the front and sides of the scooter? :wink:
Paul Meyer

Post by Paul Meyer »

Thanks everyone. I guess it was a dumb question.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Not a dumb question. I may one day restrict my old 125 for my grandson to ride off road. He doesn't need to go 50mph.
I would probably do that by just limiting throttle movement.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Quickest way would be to poke a hole in the diaphragm in carb. That will easily get your top speed under 40. Should take you 5 minutes to do.

Another possible way would be to seal the air intake with duct tape then poke a small hole in the duct tape. Test ride to see how fast it goes, if it is slower than 30 make the hole bigger, if it is faster than 30 make the hole smaller.

Or you could weld a piece of metal onto the end of the exhaust pipe to seal it up. Then drill a small hole in the end. Test to see how fast it goes, if less than 30 make hole bigger, if faster than 30 make hole smaller.

In addition to the ways above you could also experiment with really light weight rollers in the variator. I don't know how light you would need to go but my guess would be under 8 grams each to start.

Or wear one of these while you ride -

*I'm not responsible for any damage these mods might cause you or your scooter.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

ScootERIK's idea of puncturing the upper diaphragm sounds like the best way, to me.
- my buddy 125 would only do 25-30mph when I had a bad seal on the upper diaphram.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Take an X-acto knife and cut the 1 off the three 150 emblems so they say 50. That's what the previous owner of my 150 Italia did. I had to buy new 150 emblems when I restored it last year. Whether you restrict or not, it is still going to be a 150 cc scooter..

To second Alzero's comment: "Restricted or not, 150cc will never be legal without insurance or a cycle endorsement. " In Florida, the insurance requirement doesn't apply, but the rest does..
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:Swap in a carb from a 50cc 4t Buddy.
Has there ever been a 50cc 4T Buddy?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Paul Meyer wrote:Thanks everyone. I guess it was a dumb question.
No Paul, it isn't a dumb question, but it is one that may deserve thought about other ways of solving the problem you need solved. BTW you never did answer my question about where you intend to ride in the Roseburg area where you would want your scooter's top speed permanently restricted to 30 mph.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Dooglas wrote:
tenders wrote:Just a guess on my part but maybe everywhere, if one lacks a motorcycle endorsement on one's license, and one's DMV is closed indefinitely for permit and road tests.
And one's local LEOs are extremely nearsighted so they can't make out the 150 prominently displayed on the front and sides of the scooter? :wink:
One can remove the '1' from "150".
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Dooglas wrote:
wheelbender6 wrote:Swap in a carb from a 50cc 4t Buddy.
Has there ever been a 50cc 4T Buddy?
Exactly.

This whole discussion is weird to me. Are there places where a cop would pull you over and make you prove your bike can't go over 30 mph? And couldn't they just look at the engine to realize it's a 150cc class engine?

At least 'round here, the BMV is partially closed, and even really, really expired temp tags can be used with impunity.
tenders

Post by tenders »

JettaKnight wrote:Are there places where a cop would pull you over and make you prove your bike can't go over 30 mph? And couldn't they just look at the engine to realize it's a 150cc class engine?

At least 'round here, the BMV is partially closed, and even really, really expired temp tags can be used with impunity.
If you are going 45 in a 30 zone, or 35 in a 20 zone, or in a school zone (when school is in session), you will absolutely get pulled over in my town no matter what you're driving. Some cops are very familiar with M licensing requirements, and if you show them your non-M license after being clocked going well above 30, and they're in a bad mood, you are absolutely going to get nailed for riding dirty regardless of what the sticker on your plastics says.

Right now? Not clear. You can probably get away with anything registration-wise. But municipalities around the country are really hurting for the money they used to make from sales tax, and at some point are going to be squeezing cash from every single possible avenue they can find.