Buddy 50 only kick starts with key off

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Turtleface

Buddy 50 only kick starts with key off

Post by Turtleface »

Hello everybody! I have an 09 buddy 50cc scooter with some weird issues that i cant figure out and cant find someone with a similar issue on google or forum searches.

Got the scooter from a friend who lost the key and replaced the ignition switch with a new one. She couldnt get it started after replacing it so she took it to her friend who then replaced the spark plug, battery, and cdi and still could not got it to start. It wouldnt even turn over or make a spark so it sat for awhile until i got ahold of it. They had no clue what the heck was wrong with it

It took me 2 seconds to realize you have to hold a brake lever in for the starter button to work. Now it attempts to start but just wont. I tried to kick start it and it wont start that way either.

I figured maybe it was bad gas so i cleaned out the carb and fuel filter as well as the tank and got fresh fuel and tried to kick start it and it worked! But it only works with the key in the off position. If i then turn it back to on it dies out. I dont know enough to figure it out.

With the key set to “on� the appropriate lights come and it attempts to start with the starter button pressed but just wont.

With the key set to “off� it will kick start and run just fine but cuts off if i turn the key to “on�. The headlight turns on as well.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram i could use to make sure everythings going where it needs to go? Could it be as simple as the ignition switch being wired incorrectly?
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Yes
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »