Buddy 170i Riding 50-55 MPH for extended time?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

singletracker

Buddy 170i Riding 50-55 MPH for extended time?

Post by singletracker »

Recently purchased a 170i 18k miles seems to run great. Around town its nice but out on the highway it seems to be working a bit hard. Did an run through the highway at about 50 - 60 for about an hour and (other than using most of my gas) it seems just fine. But it sounds a bit abused. Of course that is the nature of the size. Just wondering if its really made for that or if I am asking for it to blow up. At some point I am going to get a proper 300-500 cc Motorcycle but its not quite the time for that yet.

I actually like it I just don't want to kill it.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I had a 170i for a while. One of the times I was on the freeway, it became overworked and went into limp mode. I had to wait 20 minutes for it to cool down, and continue on my way without the freeway. I moved up to a Vespa GT200. Solved all my issues on speed. The 170i is great scooter, but no really cut out for extended high speeds.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

It'll be fine.

My 125cc then 161cc has seen many extended highway trips.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have found the Buddy to be a very reliable and durable ride. I suspect it will do what you ask. On the other hand, I am with DeeDee. If long distances at near top speed is what you need done, liquid cooled scooters are probably a better choice.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

JettaKnight wrote:It'll be fine.

Do you have an oil cooler? I'm wondering if I should install one.

Also did you use the stock head or an aftermarket big valve head (and if so did it make a difference)?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

55-60MPH is not issue for a 170i on flat roads with no headwind. All day is easy on this scoot'.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

PNWbuddy wrote:

Also did you use the stock head or an aftermarket big valve head (and if so did it make a difference)?
Big valve head.

No oil cooler, but I rotated (90 deg counterclockwise) the air intake on the right side to point forward to act as a cooling air scoop.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

JettaKnight wrote:
PNWbuddy wrote:

Big valve head.

No oil cooler, but I rotated (90 deg counterclockwise) the air intake on the right side to point forward to act as a cooling air scoop.
Thanks, I'm still trying to get an honest 60mph out of my 125 with 161 big bore. Lots of low end torque/power but very limited top speed. Tried jetting, bigger carb, windscreen, Dr Pulley sliders all with no improvement, still only 53-54mph (60 indicated) even down long hills. I have a NCY big valve head that I will eventually get to installing. Unfortunately will have to pull the cylinder because with the big valve head a thinner base gasket is used.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

PNWbuddy wrote: Thanks, I'm still trying to get an honest 60mph out of my 125 with 161 big bore. Lots of low end torque/power but very limited top speed. Tried jetting, bigger carb, windscreen, Dr Pulley sliders all with no improvement, still only 53-54mph (60 indicated) even down long hills. I have a NCY big valve head that I will eventually get to installing. Unfortunately will have to pull the cylinder because with the big valve head a thinner base gasket is used.
I have all that, and right now 60 bmph is about it on the flat. I think the CDI is choking at WOT.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Check final drive gear ratios for 125 vs. 170i.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Try running without the air box. Maybe the restriction is upstream of the carb?
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

FWIW I also tried a "performance" cdi, not restricted, no difference.

And bought final drive gears advertised to fit, they didn't.

When I get to installing the big valve head I'll try a pod filter but I doubt that intake modifications will help as the 125 already shares the same filter and box as larger 150 and 170i
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Well, there's only so much you can do when you start with a 125cc motor and 10" wheels...
skipper20

Re: Buddy 170i Riding 50-55 MPH for extended time?

Post by skipper20 »

singletracker wrote:Recently purchased a 170i 18k miles seems to run great. Around town its nice but out on the highway it seems to be working a bit hard. Did an run through the highway at about 50 - 60 for about an hour and (other than using most of my gas) it seems just fine. But it sounds a bit abused. Of course that is the nature of the size. Just wondering if its really made for that or if I am asking for it to blow up. At some point I am going to get a proper 300-500 cc Motorcycle but its not quite the time for that yet.

I actually like it I just don't want to kill it.
When riding on the highway for a long period of time at or near top speed, you need to vary your speed a bit. This was my experience with my Hooligan 170i on some of the back roads in southern Arizona.

Bill in Seattle
'84 NN50 Honda Gyro red
'86 TG50 Honda Gyro red
Point37

Post by Point37 »

if you are consistently doing long time periods at top speed on a highway i would be looking at a bigger bike that had a little extra top end...i wouldn't even think of taking a 125 out on the highway around here...even my tw200 i wouldn't take on the highway...i need to be able to top out at 90mph+ cause everyone here drives 80mph...i think the smallest bike i would take on the highway here would be a duke 390
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)