Royal Alloy GT 150 in the USA

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

johnk

Post by johnk »

"Manufactured to replace the Stella"?

I resent that remark!

(Go take a test drive, Point37!)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

johnk wrote: (Go take a test drive, Point37!)
but what if i like it?...buddy only cost me $1300...not spending $4k...plus i'm a used bike kind of person...let someone else take the initial hit...and can't see buying a new model that isn't proven yet with no aftermarket parts...plus i'm sure the performance is pretty similar...but it never hurt to take a ride :)
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just saw one of these Royal Alloys on the street today. I must say it looks pretty good. Still wouldn't buy one though, engine is too small.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Has anyone on Modern Buddy bought one yet?

If anyone has it would be great to get some reviews. Most of the reviews I have read/heard were after short test rides or from less experienced riders.
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

I took one out for a quick parking lot spin yesterday. My brief take: it’s heavier and feels more solid than my old Stella . Longer wheelbase makes it feel smoother, better tracking, but wider turning radius. After riding my Kick around, this felt like a tank. Engine is strong and smooth, but lacks the quick pickup of my Kick. Probably best for open road touring or suburban commuting. No under seat storage but does have a rear rack.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
dcarwin

Post by dcarwin »

I've got one of these, and happy to answer any questions I can. I'm in the middle of a big ramp-up myself, of trying to understand what I will and won't be able to modify on this scooter.

Engine model: 1P57QMJ
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dcarwin wrote:I've got one of these, and happy to answer any questions I can.
First impressions? Photos?
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Dooglas wrote:
dcarwin wrote:I've got one of these, and happy to answer any questions I can.
First impressions? Photos?
^^^what he said
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
johnk

Post by johnk »

dcarwin wrote:I've got one of these, and happy to answer any questions I can. I'm in the middle of a big ramp-up myself, of trying to understand what I will and won't be able to modify on this scooter.
What does it make you want to modify?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Real world MPGs and miles per tank?
jartist

Post by jartist »

I would love some updates as you put more miles on it.

I test drove one in S.F. And I really liked it. I like gy6 scooters but at 6’4� I don’t fit on any of them. I found the RA to be very comfortable. It feels a little slow off the line but I think they spec’d the roller weights a bit heavy to keep the gas mileage up. There’s a review on Scooterfile that mentions this. http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-revi ... er-review/

There is some extra weight it’s down low and it feels good- makes it feel solid and stable. It has a really quality ride feel to it.

I hope they sell a lot of these and I plan to buy one eventually but at $4500 out the door I don’t want to be the guinea pig if the engine doesn’t hold up. The engine pivot is on the bottom of the engine so engine swaps from other gy6’s would be very limited.
ranzchic

Post by ranzchic »

I tried getting a test ride at my local dealership and they are sold out. Won't be be back til February or March. They said that this scooter has been popular.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I just watched a youtube video from "Motors for the Masses" reviewing the Royal Alloy GP300. Now that's something I could get excited about if it ever makes it here to the USA.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Mr.FixIt wrote:I just watched a youtube video from "Motors for the Masses" reviewing the Royal Alloy GP300. Now that's something I could get excited about if it ever makes it here to the USA.
Have you looked at the 2020 Vespa 300 scooters with the updated "HPE" engine? It makes just about as much HP and Torque as the rear tire can stand and has a lot of sensible improvements over the previous models. Far be it from me to push any Piaggio product, but if you want more power (+12%) and torque (+20%) in a metal scooter that's a mature design, the 2020 Vespas look pretty interesting.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

hojoos wrote:I like that color but that seat color reminds me of 70's couch
Hey, supposed to look retro - and it does. :wink: