Stella 2t max speed and questions.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

artfull dodger

Stella 2t max speed and questions.

Post by artfull dodger »

I am looking at finally getting a 2t in the next few months. What is the safe max speed to run on at on road trips? I am used to Hondas that you can keep at WOT all day and the engine could care less due to the low stress design. I know about clutching the 2t when coasting down(ie no engine braking). The Stella gives me the style I want in the price point I can afford. Use is more around town and a backup to work if my Jeep goes down(about 23 miles each way) Anything unique I should be looking for when looking at a used model? Mike
Silly NT's....I have Asperger's!!!
johnk

Post by johnk »

I'm not a "max speed" kind of person, but the advice I've always heard is to let the bike cool down for five or ten minutes every hour. Probably more often if you're riding at wide-open throttle or if you have any performance modifications.

In shopping for a used 2T specifically, I would ask about—and look for evidence of—leaking gearbox oil (under the engine on the right side). When inspecting any Stella, I'd take off both cowls looking for any issues with the rubber parts or wiring.

I think this video is a great way to familiarize yourself with the mechanical aspects of the bike, and it will give you a sense of potential problems and normal wear.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I was just curious what a safe cruising speed was with a 2t? My old elite 250 will run nearly 70mph, but is comfortable running 55 to 60 all day. Great for back roads and exploring
milly

Post by milly »

My Stella 150 called a star over in U.K. cruises between 45-50mph Speedo reading, like John I don't thrash mine either and mines still fitted with all the emission stuff as well.
What some people do quite often is fit a trail tech temp gauge to keep an eye on cylinder temp so you don't seize it up. Plenty of info on net about them.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Once I do get one, a CHT gauge is top on the list. Had them on my air cooled snowmobile. Have to get my current scoot traded or sold. I cant swing the price of the local Stellas I find, 1100 to 2500, right now. The one at $2500 is in mint condition, 2009 in the color I really want. It would be next march/april before I could swing that as a straight cash price. Kind of hoping someone local has a non running 2t from sitting long term and wants to swap for a running scoot that just needs a new home. Mike