Stella 4t oil leak

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mfavata

Stella 4t oil leak

Post by mfavata »

I did my own oil change the other night, using AMSOIL 20W50 motorcycle oil and a HiFlo filter. The next day I rode to work and someone noticed an oil leak underneath my scooter. I put it up on a brick and pulled the rear wheel and checked all the nuts and bolts. One of the nuts holding on the oil filter cover had come loose, so I snugged it back up.

Rode the scooter home, topped off the oil and noticed there is still a small drip, about the size of a silver dollar or so. Still looks like it is dripping below where the oil filter cover is. I don't notice any dripping while running, it just seems to drip when I shut it off and its up on the stand.

If I run my finger around where the filter cover is, it doesn't feel wet now. Oil screen cover and drain bolt seem completely dry. Not sure where else I could be leaking oil around there. Should I completely pull the filter cover back off and re-seat it since that one nut came loose? Any other ideas?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

My 2010 did that too when i changed it myself first time.
Seemed to be seeping from the oil filter cover.
Still even after snugging the bolts.
Come to find out, i pulled the cover again, and the small 0-ring inbound on the oil filter had dropped out of its recess and therefore the filter was cocked.
pull your filter out and check that the 0-ring is seated correctly.
be careful, cause it can slip out when oily when putting it back in.
Once in right.. and cover back on... seepage stopped.
good luck, my experiences only
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Having the same issue going to give this a try.
G-Rod

Post by G-Rod »

Ditto what jimmbomb offered. Had exactly the same experience with my ‘12. Also, easy on those cover bolts. I’ve heard of several being overtightened and stripping out the case. Big problem fix. With o-ring in place, snuggled up is enough. Good luck.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Anyone know where to get different gaskets than the green ones? I think it is a gasket problem, tried a few different ones all green from LML that leak regardless of how tight or loose the filter cover is. Maybe i will try to double or triple them up. I had gotten some red ones that seemed to fit better in the past but cant seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Not the gasket, seems to be the bottom left screw is loose, the oil is coming from the housing above the oil filter between the seal there, think it is because the screw is not tight enough creating a loose seal, need to figure out how to tighten the screw properly without mangling it with a vice grip. Looks like per the service manual the screw does come out, but not sure how you get it back in properly. Will keep you guys posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdCmXPZ_jo
Last edited by srbbnd on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Well I think I got it fixed. Had to remove the screw completely, the screw had either become stripped or the nut had gotten stuck on it and was not tightening anymore but wouldn't come off as well, either way I had to dremel a slit and get it out. I replaced it with an exhaust screw after dremmeling a slit so I could screw it in. I would like to recommend Scooter West they were helpful in identifying the parts needed. During this process I cracked the oil filter cover yayyyyy, my second time doing this! Anyways those screws suck balls. If anyone has this problem here are the parts that I used during the process that seemed to work:

Exhaust Stud Genuine Stella 4T
GC-4770745

M6x1mm Nut (1106) (02006) (SF504-1043)

OIL FILTER COVER STELLA 4T
GSF513-0188