Battery Suggestion? (Cold Weather Issues)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HanShan

Battery Suggestion? (Cold Weather Issues)

Post by HanShan »

I have a 2013 Blur 220i and it seems the battery does not like the cold weather. Was last replaced last year with this battery:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/replaceme ... a20hlbsxta

I guess the Cold Cranking Amps: 310 is too low maybe?

It keeps dying on me after short rides and I need a jump.

I have a trickle charger but live in an apartment so it means taking the battery out which is a pain.

So I am wondering if there is a better battery I can buy that can handle the cold better or if I just need a new battery.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Just more info. I connected it to my NOCO Genius G750 smart charger and the red light was flashing so the battery was low.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

That battery has more than enough CCA for your scooter. You actually answered your question in your thread without knowing it. You stated that after several short rides, it needs a jump start. You are not riding long enough to recharge your battery. So, either take the long way to and from wherever you are going, or plug it in to a charger when done with these short rides to top it off.

The other option is that you got a bad battery or it has been damaged from not getting a full charge over the last year and it will need replacement. You would have to take the battery somewhere where they can tear it to see if it is putting out the power it is advertised to have.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Have it charged and tested, it's probably bad. A couple starts during the day shouldn't kill your battery unless there's something wrong with your scooter.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

I charged it with my smart charger and it is working fine. It just seems to discharge faster in the cold, I do not have issues with it when it is above 40. I really have not been riding it much either so...

On a side note, my idle RPMs evened out since I charged it as well. Whoo hoo!