Oil, when to fill up my Buddy 50?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kendoori

Oil, when to fill up my Buddy 50?

Post by kendoori »

I have my Buddy 50 at a 2nd home and ride it for a week a month. Right now I have ~350 miles on it and have yet to add any oil. When I start the scooter I briefly see the check oil light, but it does away quickly.

Apologies for the ignorance, but am a complete neophyte when it comes to scooters.
skipper20

Re: Oil, when to fill up my Buddy 50?

Post by skipper20 »

kendoori wrote:I have my Buddy 50 at a 2nd home and ride it for a week a month. Right now I have ~350 miles on it and have yet to add any oil. When I start the scooter I briefly see the check oil light, but it does away quickly.

Apologies for the ignorance, but am a complete neophyte when it comes to scooters.
At 350 miles it's most likely low on oil. I don't have a Buddy 50 but I do have a Roughhouse 50 and I'm pretty sure the oil tank access is the same. Look for an access panel just below the seat front. Remove that and you can see the plastic tank. You'll be able to see the oil level in the tank. Remove the filler cap and add oil till you get it up to the proper level. You'll need a funnel to avoid spilling as it's not easy to fill directly from the oil container. If you have the owner's manual for the scoot it's all covered in the manual. But, the manual doesn't mention the funnel. You'll definitely need one. I use a synthetic 2 stroke MC oil to reduce smoke but I'm sure others on this forum have their own favorites. Have fun and ride safe!

Bill in Seattle
kendoori

Will 20W-50 do the trick?

Post by kendoori »

Clydeo

Oil light

Post by Clydeo »

BTW, it is normal for the oil light to come on for a moment when you start your bike; I am guessing that is intended to re-assure you that the bulb is indeed working, and has not burned out.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yes to Clydeo. If you hold the key between OFF and RUN it will stay on for a test. Now, the oil in a full tank should last around 600 miles or so. When the oil light starts briefly flashing during slowing down and/or hitting bumps while riding then you are getting low. If possible DO NOT run it while its on full time very far-add oil asap. Also note that the oil tank will hold around a quart of oil when the light blips on while braking and/or hitting bumps. Hope this helps.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Be sure to use a good 2 stroke oil intended for scooters, not the stuff for outboard motors , chainsaws, ect.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

No synthetic oil until the engine is fully broken-in, say 500-600 miles.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

The 2T oil tank is directly below the seat in a Buddy (in roughly the same location as on a Roughhouse) but is not as easily accessed to view the oil level as it is on a Roughhouse. It requires the removal of 4 screws, I believe (one near the top of the panel and 3 around the base of the panel) vice one screw on remaining knob. However, the oil fill port is underneath the seat directly to the right of the gas cap, so adding oil is easier to do than on a Roughhouse.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Not to hijack- but is it ok to top off with a different brand of oil? I dont know what kind is in there now.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Should not be a problem to use a different brand of oil as long as it is specifically for a 2-stroke (2T) motor. I would stay away from really cheap stuff, however (what brand you should use is an entirely different thread). Also, it is advisable to stay away from synthetic oil if you are still in your break-in period of the first 500-600 miles since synthetic oils don't let your engine parts seat properly.
Meis

Post by Meis »

The oil light should come on when the key is turned to the on position and the start switch on. after it fires up the light should go off unless it detects that the tank is low on oil. If the light comes on while the scooter is running it does not mean that the tank is out, it just means that the system is 1 qt low.

Bear in mind that the sensor is on the left side of the tank so the light is more prone to coming on momentarily as you turn right. Also, when the light does come on, you have a good amount of oil left in the tank.

I know that a quart lasts me about 700 miles on my 50cc with 1500 miles