Honda self balancing motorcycle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

Honda self balancing motorcycle

Post by Tocsik »

Hi guys! Haven't been around in a while and thought I'd check in.
Hope everyone had a Happy and safe Holiday season.

Just wondering about this new tech. Did they fix a problem,.. or suck all the life out of riding?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeszAterN3M
Last edited by Tocsik on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Kinda cool...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Weird but neat!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not for me - like self driving cars, it takes the enjoyment out of riding/driving. It would be like eating pre-digested food, yuk.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I always thought a self driving car was the city bus! Guess the bus picks up other people and does not go straight to your destination so it cant count as a car. Now the self balancing motorcycle is interesting, but they will eventually make it ride itself also. I think the MP3 scooter is the coolest thing ever, and as long as you press the lock button you dont have to put your feet down. I just read to much about expen$ive up keep and fragile build quality.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Does Honda intend to replace trikes with these self-balancing machines? They offer the advantages of a trike without taking up as much room in the garage.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Possibly the most boring thing I have ever seen. No offense, but just drive the car then.

Besides, as a mechanic? I AM NOT touching that mess. no way.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I can see it for the same demographic as those who ride trikes for medical/physical/age issues.

As to that BMW concept shown in some of the other videos, I cringe at their statement that it'll be so safe that it'll eliminate the need for helmets. Of course, wearing one is a personal choice (except where mandated by law), but you can be perfectly balanced and still get sideswiped, rear-ended, whacked by debris, etc.

And viney's spot-on. That Honda's probably gonna be plastered with "no user serviceable parts inside" stickers.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't think Honda is showing off a self riding motorcycle.

I think what they're trying to show is a motorcycle that won't fall over during extremely slow maneuvers. That's when the vast majority of bikes are dropped and damaged.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Most large motorcycles once started are almost self balancing due to the engines gyroscopic force, but since normal motors were not balanced to be gyroscopes, they don't self balance. Look like Honda finally made a engine with a balance flywheel that generates centrifugal force artificial gravity just like a spinning top.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I would not mind at all if its self balancing AND automatic. Had hip replacement last April. I am riding my buddy fine but it would be nice to have extra stability at stops
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur