Valve Adjustment Issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

Valve Adjustment Issue

Post by wheelbender6 »

Adjusted the valves on my Buddy 125 and it went well. When reinstalling the valve cover, there was a rubber piece on top of the cylinder that would fall into the space between the valve cover and head.
-I reinstalled that troublesome piece of rubber a few times. It stretches across a pair of pegs. It would fall again and interfere with valve cover installation again and again.
-I finally just removed that crazy piece of rubber and stashed it in my tool bag. I don't think it served any important purpose.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Syd

Post by Syd »

Are you talking about the head cover gasket? Did it fit between the cover and the head? You really want that on if that's what it was.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Here is a pic of the rubber piece that I did not reinstall, Syd. It is not the gasket that seals the valve cover to the head. It has some other purpose.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I trashed that piece a long time ago. About the third valve adjustment and it wouldn't stay in place anymore
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

that isn't a gasket and im confused......done several valve adjustments on a 150 and never saw that
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I believe thats one of the seals (not a gasket) that goes on the edge of the plastic cooling shroud to seal the gap between the shroud and the head in order to prevent cooling air from the fan from escaping there rather than flowing around the head and cylinder barrel.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Makes sense. If you know of any tricks for re-installing this rubber piece after the vent hose has been re-connected, please let me know.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The rubber piece stays in place by being captured between the shroud and the head, but you can always use a small amount of weather strip adhesive or silicone sealant to attach it to the shroud.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.