New Pair of Roughhouses

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Benney

New Pair of Roughhouses

Post by Benney »

Hey gang,

After selling my motorcycle a few years ago, I've been itching to get back on two wheels. I found myself turning my head every time I saw a scooter go by. So the week before last, after a lot of internet searching, I went on a scooter hunt. As luck would have it I wound up meeting Tom at Ez bikes and scooters in Exeter NH. He, his wife and crew were awesome to deal with.

I explained to him that I was looking for a larger engine scooter given my size (abt 250) He pointed to a Roughhouse and said "take that one for a ride". I did and I was sold! I wound buying 1 for me and 1 for s/o. Now after my first 200 miles I am still impressed.

I'm starting my commute to work tomorrow with it. 23 miles each way taking mostly twisty/curvy back roads :D . I'm also looking forward to a few mods with the help from the group.

Cheers, Benney
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Well done! After break-in, you can de-restrict the Roughhouses to gain more speed.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Gee, a 23 mile each way commute on a 50cc scooter every working day? That meets your needs? Your call, of course, but I am surprised.
skipper20

Re: New Pair of Roughhouses

Post by skipper20 »

Benney wrote:Hey gang,

After selling my motorcycle a few years ago, I've been itching to get back on two wheels. I found myself turning my head every time I saw a scooter go by. So the week before last, after a lot of internet searching, I went on a scooter hunt. As luck would have it I wound up meeting Tom at Ez bikes and scooters in Exeter NH. He, his wife and crew were awesome to deal with.

I explained to him that I was looking for a larger engine scooter given my size (abt 250) He pointed to a Roughhouse and said "take that one for a ride". I did and I was sold! I wound buying 1 for me and 1 for s/o. Now after my first 200 miles I am still impressed.

I'm starting my commute to work tomorrow with it. 23 miles each way taking mostly twisty/curvy back roads :D . I'm also looking forward to a few mods with the help from the group.

Cheers, Benney
First off, welcome aboard. The MB forum is the best of the best. Just out of curiousity, what sort of top speed have you experienced so far? I'm guessing that with your 250 lb. weight, the scooter's weight of 200 lbs all being pushed by a 49cc engine, it's probably around 35 mph, Right? Assuming so, this will get better with break-in and a windscreen should also give you a 1 - 2 mph increase. Again, welcome aboard. The RH 50 was a great choice,

Bill in Seattle
KooK

Post by KooK »

i gotta say, 23 miles is a pretty long commute for a RH. my commute is 6 1/2 miles and it is a joy, as is drive through the french quarter. my top speed is shy of 40 mph, and on a long, back road, i would probably want a little more. the RH is a GREAT scooter, done get me wrong. but a little more might be desired, but If you think this is what you need. Welcome aboard!! I do love my RH, even though I have had two mishaps on it, I thoroughly enjoy my RH. I wish I had bought it years before i did.

enjoy the hell out of it, and keep us updated!
Benney

Post by Benney »

Thanks for all the welcomes and kind words.

My RH was derestricted by the dealer when I bought it. Going by the speedo, I can do 35 all day long, 40 uphill, 45 on the flats, 50 down hill. I know the speedos tend to overstate and I haven't checked actual with a GPS.

I didn't start the commute today due to heavy rains this morning. It's actually 20 miles by google maps. I'm fortunate that the route I will take is 90% over back country roads mostly 35 mph speed limit. I wear Carhartts, hoodies and workboots and carry my lunch and a thermos in a backpack every day anyway so dressing for the commute is not a prob.

The RH is no Cadillac but it sure is a lot of fun. I just got back from a 30 mile jaunt after supper down to the beach and back. I am very impressed with what this 50cc machine can do.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

KooK wrote:i gotta say, 23 miles is a pretty long commute for a RH. my commute is 6 1/2 miles and it is a joy, as is drive through the french quarter. my top speed is shy of 40 mph, and on a long, back road, i would probably want a little more. the RH is a GREAT scooter, done get me wrong. but a little more might be desired, but If you think this is what you need. Welcome aboard!! I do love my RH, even though I have had two mishaps on it, I thoroughly enjoy my RH. I wish I had bought it years before i did.

enjoy the hell out of it, and keep us updated!
6 New Orleans miles equates to about 50 country miles :lol:
Clydeo

Commuting

Post by Clydeo »

I commute to work on a Buddy 50 at times, utilizing back roads and urban streets. My commute is 23 miles each way. The Buddy does fine. I was surprised that my commute was only 5-7 minutes shorter when I ride my motorcycle. But route selection is very important.
Whimscootie

Awesome!

Post by Whimscootie »

The Roughhouse is an awesome 50cc. I got to test ride one a few months ago.
50s can do so much more than some give them credit for. And they are a blast to ride!
The RH is a little spitfire!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com