I Had My First Crash Today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lavish_Squalor

I Had My First Crash Today

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

I'm sitting here licking my wounds. After three years of riding almost every day I had my first wreck today. It had begun to rain as I was leaving work and the roads were slick. A car in front of me slammed on his brakes, and I had to brake quickly to avoid hitting him and my my back wheel locked up, I guess. My bike slid out from underneath me to the left and I fell over it and then slid about fifteen to twenty feet, according to two folks who stopped to help. It's the oddest sensation to be sliding down the road. One minute you're on your bike and then the next minute your sliding uncontrollably across the blacktop, wondering if you're ever going to stop. My entire right side is eaten up with road-rash and pretty nasty cuts. It shredded the pants I was wearing and my short sleeve shirt. Remarkably, my Buddy 125 started right back up. Well, it took one or two tries, but then it ran fine.

So my question is . . . should I take my bike to have it looked over? I see absolutely no damage to it whatsoever except the mirrors need readjusting. What damage do you look for after a crash like this one? Is there anything I should do? I have about four thousand miles on my Buddy and I'm looking to a whole lot more. What I'm not looking forward to is tomorrow because I know I'm going to be sore as heck.

Thanks for any input or insight you guys might have.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Sorry to hear that you went down and that you suffered some injuries. Amazed that your scooter survived with little or no damage. It would be good if you posted on the "Who's crashed?" thread.

viewtopic.php?t=635&highlight=accident
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

I'll do that now.

This site was so helpful when I was researching scooters.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Id say yes, get it checked over, you may have unnoticeable damage like a bent fork or frame. Glad your ok though!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

doh! Glad you're basically OK!

It's these memories that make me gear up regardless of weather. Well, sometimes I ride in a tee during rallies, but all other gear is worn. I paid a lot for the ink on my body, it'd be a shame to mess it up!

Hopefully no real damage to the buddy. It's pretty amazing how resilient they are if you don't ram it into anything.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

The first thing I did was order a Kevlar hoodie with inserts for elbow pads, etc. I always wear a helmet with a face shield but I'm purchasing a full face helmet this weekend. I'm still nursing the incredibly painful road rash down my entire right arm and leg, and I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened if I'd hit the pavement face first. With my current helmet my chin and jaw aren't protected and after my wreck I'm not comfortable with that.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes and concerns. I'm not embarrassed to say that this was scary as heck, so I appreciate the good wishes.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Lavish_Squalor wrote:I always wear a helmet with a face shield but I'm purchasing a full face helmet this weekend. I'm still nursing the incredibly painful road rash down my entire right arm and leg, and I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened if I'd hit the pavement face first.
I agree. I suggest that you give a look at the Nolan N43e or N44 as you consider helmet choices. This design uses a chin bar and has better vision and ventilation than most full face helmets in my experience. Definitely my favorite.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Dooglas wrote:
Lavish_Squalor wrote:I always wear a helmet with a face shield but I'm purchasing a full face helmet this weekend. I'm still nursing the incredibly painful road rash down my entire right arm and leg, and I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened if I'd hit the pavement face first.
I agree. I suggest that you give a look at the Nolan N43e or N44 as you consider helmet choices. This design uses a chin bar and has better vision and ventilation than most full face helmets in my experience. Definitely my favorite.
+1 for the Nolan N43 or N44.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

Never tipped, never crashed.

I have never laid my bike on its side.

8)
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.