Just bought a used 2016 RH, has two problems, hoping for hel

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Turby3pots

Just bought a used 2016 RH, has two problems, hoping for hel

Post by Turby3pots »

So my neighbor is suddenly leaving the country and had to fire sale his r50.. I paid $1100 for a 2016 with 1143 miles.. Seems like a really good deal based on similar Craigslist postings in my area ($1800-2000).
The dealer sells them deresricted (not sure if Trans has been deresricted as well tho) and he's already put some sort of exhaust on it. And done the maintenence. And put a sparkplug in it.

The problems:

It runs up to 20mph real well, but if I stay full throttle it shifts way too deep and bogs, so it's a slug from 20-30. But then picks back up. Opinion on that? I'm new here but it seems like a weak spring is allowing the rear pulley to drop the belt too low to fast. (sorry for the technical terms here but I'm new and not up on the nomenclature yet.)

Problem two is a bit more of a problem. It shimmies at speed. It just gets to humping. Seems worse when riding 2 up. Like an unbalanced tire in the front. But I doubt it's that. It's not terrible, but certainly noticeable. I don't think it's soft seizing as it doesn't do it in first gear. What's that about?

Also, where are getting parts? Scooter works?

Suggest a simple build with good acceleration and a lower (42mph?) top speed. I don't need the full 50mph, and I'm willing to trade acceleration for it.

NCY Super Trans Kit?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The exhaust is the problem. Reinstall the stock one and the stock jets for the carb.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

I suspect you mean to say that the exhaust is peaky and causes the bad performance between 20-30? I actually don't have the stock exhaust come to think of it, so do you have an idea of how to work with what I got?

What about the shaking?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The shaking, I dunno. Bring it to a dealer and let them ride it and get their opinion.

That exhaust is a pain to tune especially on a RH with it's taller tires. You really need a bigger carb and experience tuning a 2 stroke.

This one works fine on a stock setup (as long as it has the bigger main jet installed).

http://www.scooterworks.com/performance ... waJo-bNuWM
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

let me ask a question in ignorance:

is it possible to adjust the CVT in such a way it says in the powerband of the 2stroke?
Because if i'm gonna pay money, I'd like to pay money to go forward instead of backwards (as i don't have the stock exhaust.)

if not, is it gonna foul plugs or be subject to any other ''side of the road emergencies''? cause if i cannot avoid it sans a stock exhaust, i'll probably just deal with it.. it's not the worst.

I seemed to have bought the bike at a considerable deal, so I'll probably flip it after the summer is over, and fixing this issue won't necessarily increase the value of the bike.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Turby3pots wrote: fixing this issue won't necessarily increase the value of the bike.
If the bike runs the way it should, and it has the correct equipment on it, not only will it sell for more, it will sell quicker.
Coathanger it together and pass the problem on to someone else is your other option.

You can probably get the correct exhaust used, sell your performance exhaust and come out ahead. The stock airbox / exhaust system on these is pretty well engineered. You can fine tune the variator and get some solid performance gains for about $50.00 in parts.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

I'm not understanding why the dealer would put a pipe on it that wasn't right..? The original owner did say "He gave me a good deal on the pipe if i gave a good review on google" ... but i don't think he'd put an inferior pipe on it, causing it to run bad, in hopes the guy would turn around and give a rave review.

I'm headed to the shop that's done the work, Boca Scooters, tomorrow morning to see what they have to say about it (They did the work, did they test drive it afterward?) and to see if they have a stock one laying around they'd be willing to bolt up and see what happens. Maybe buy this one back?

I'll update.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Most people don't know much about 2 strokes. They are a dying breed and are typically treated as such by people other than tuners.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

DeeDee wrote: You can fine tune the variator and get some solid performance gains for about $50.00 in parts.
Which variatior? Dr pulley or NCY? Where to buy?

I went to Boca scooters. But they were busy and not very friendly, so I didn't stick around. And their toolbox sizes indicated they are making audi lead tech pay on scooter repair.. I'll pass.

After completing 70 miles 2-up yesterday I've come to the realization the scooter is probably operating as designed with that pipe.. Probably that second burst of power wouldn't exist without it, or wouldn't stretch as far into the speedo.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

dasscooter wrote:The exhaust is the problem. Reinstall the stock one and the stock jets for the carb.

I will never understand why someone buys a great new scooter and messes with it before it's broken in. SMH...........
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Just make sure it's been rejetted correctly for that exhaust.. or you'll be going 45mph and it'll seize up and that'll be that. Actually, go ahead and get a trail tech temp gauge anyway.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

dasscooter wrote:Just make sure it's been rejetted correctly for that exhaust.
how will i know what jet is in it?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Hopefully by asking the previous owner, or it'll have to be taken apart.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

dasscooter wrote:Hopefully by asking the previous owner, or it'll have to be taken apart.
He has no idea. I'll have to get in contact with BocaScooters and hopefully they will know.
boyjeenyus

Pull the plug and read it?

Post by boyjeenyus »

If you're considering messing with the exhaust or carb, you'll probably want to go ahead and do some basic research on reading spark plugs and learn to do some modest tuning yourself. Remove the spark plug and look at the color of it...Google "reading spark plugs 2-stroke", and you'll get lots of charts to show you what it should look like. If it's rich or lean, you can change jets in the carb. To get to the main jet, you'll need to remove the carb and pull the fuel bowl (which is the bottom part of the carb)...should just be a few phillips screws to get it off of there. Then round "jet" in the middle is the main...it'll have a number on it. Higher numbers are richer, lower are leaner. Once again, you shouldn't have much trouble with Google figuring out how to change out and order jets. (jetsrus.com is what I usually use).

You may want to start with different roller weights or sliders first, as that's pretty cheap, and directly affects how cruising speeds interact with the power-band of the engine.
Hope that helps!
Good Luck!
Stephen
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

dasscooter wrote:Just make sure it's been rejetted correctly for that exhaust.. or you'll be going 45mph and it'll seize up and that'll be that. Actually, go ahead and get a trail tech temp gauge anyway.

I called boca scooters and they said because it's not a real racing exhaust - it doesn't have an expansion pipe, etc - that the bike didn't need to be rejetted.
How does that make you feel?

The variator restricter had be removed tho.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

Come back...
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Regardless of which exhaust it is, it requires rejetting or it'll overheat and seize. Post a picture of the exhaust
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Okay, that's the sport pipe and not the Prima pipe. You still need an 80 main jet.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

dasscooter wrote:Okay, that's the sport pipe and not the Prima pipe. You still need an 80 main jet.
And what's the stock jet?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

My memory is foggy but it should be a 75. It's setup lean with the stock muffler and is worse with the sport muffler with the catalytic converter removed.

Lean jetting makes more heat and heat melts things. Melting things isn't good.
Terescenko

Post by Terescenko »

As soon as you wrote "they said they would give me a good price if I wrote a good review" I knew you were talking about Boca Scooters. CROOKS...Unbelievable...I highly recommend not to go there. I am in the Boynton beach area, a local works in a garage off federal and hypoluxo. Shoot me a DM i'll send you his number.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

Terescenko wrote:As soon as you wrote "they said they would give me a good price if I wrote a good review" I knew you were talking about Boca Scooters. CROOKS...Unbelievable...I highly recommend not to go there. I am in the Boynton beach area, a local works in a garage off federal and hypoluxo. Shoot me a DM i'll send you his number.
Thank you for that.