extra exhaust gasket anyone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

87PGOSTAR50GUY

extra exhaust gasket anyone?

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

Anyone have an extra NB50 gasket for the exhaust? Not sure if genuine scooters 50 models share the same exhaust ring like my pgo.

Free used gasket wanted.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Buddy 50 is likely too big. I think the one you want is about 30mm outer diameter, like a Spree, Elite E and Elite 80.

Get some measurements like inner diameter (mm), outer diameter (mm) and thickness (mm) so we can figure out what a suitable replacement part would be.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

az_slynch wrote:Buddy 50 is likely too big. I think the one you want is about 30mm outer diameter, like a Spree, Elite E and Elite 80.

Get some measurements like inner diameter (mm), outer diameter (mm) and thickness mso we can figure out what a suitable replacement part would be.

Good thing. Im parked

I got it in my safe spot and my froend has a manual micrometer both of us cant read it for crud but atleast it was read correct which is how i got the new carb right..

What about paper gaskets high temp but thick i also saw scooter works sells a quick slip gasket which crosses between buddy and star models. The old one is missing (this genius here lost it) kids kicked it off my scoot seat last year never found it again.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Was the original a paper type gasket that the two muffler bolts went thru or was it a copper or silver colored ring that kinda fits inside the exhaust? There are technically only 2 different kinds that I listed above, and they do come in size "variations" if you will. We use the paper type, that the muffler bolts go thru on all our builds. The paper ones will last a long time, but will blow apart if you let the exhaust come loose on a motor that is reving at 13,000 RPM's really fast. We got keeping exhaust bolts tight on hi-rev cylinders down to a science now! I would assume that any 50cc paper type gasket should work, just muffler stud spacing may be a issue. We know Minarelli motors only. I could measure the exhaust stud spacing and compare it to what you get. No gasket will kill back pressure causing all sorts of stupid problems. I have a good assortment of gaskets, they are cheap and we keep them in stock. I have Hyosung 50cc, Minarelli 50cc, cheap China scooter 50cc 4 stroke and some "mistakes" that vendors sent in the wrong size and told us to keep after fixing their mistake. Let me know. Racing Planet not only have them in stock I bet, but I believe they list the sizes also. Measure and let me know.
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:Was the original a paper type gasket that the two muffler bolts went thru or was it a copper or silver colored ring that kinda fits inside the exhaust? There are technically only 2 different kinds that I listed above, and they do come in size "variations" if you will. We use the paper type, that the muffler bolts go thru on all our builds. The paper ones will last a long time, but will blow apart if you let the exhaust come loose on a motor that is reving at 13,000 RPM's really fast. We got keeping exhaust bolts tight on hi-rev cylinders down to a science now! I would assume that any 50cc paper type gasket should work, just muffler stud spacing may be a issue. We know Minarelli motors only. I could measure the exhaust stud spacing and compare it to what you get. No gasket will kill back pressure causing all sorts of stupid problems. I have a good assortment of gaskets, they are cheap and we keep them in stock. I have Hyosung 50cc, Minarelli 50cc, cheap China scooter 50cc 4 stroke and some "mistakes" that vendors sent in the wrong size and told us to keep after fixing their mistake. Let me know. Racing Planet not only have them in stock I bet, but I believe they list the sizes also. Measure and let me know.

Silverish gold color, running paper sounds theoretically better materials get pretty thick.

Just cause it has ft lbs doesnt mean material isnt substitutable tore is based off cruck at the end of the day subtract or add on given material thin sheet steel is no more then 20 ft lbs.

Head gaskets fine 0 percent chance of leakage at 9 ft lbs.

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

On a stock set up the ring is all good. Wonder what diameter the stock one was? The torque is usually 10-15 Nm for the exhaust bolts. We put Loc Tite on ours because of the silly revs that rattle/vibrate everything loose. The paper style can be bought in sheets from a auto parts store but is a PITA to cut! Only resort to that option in a pinch.
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:On a stock set up the ring is all good. Wonder what diameter the stock one was? The torque is usually 10-15 Nm for the exhaust bolts. We put Loc Tite on ours because of the silly revs that rattle/vibrate everything loose. The paper style can be bought in sheets from a auto parts store but is a PITA to cut! Only resort to that option in a pinch.

Let me check the aero manual.

87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

87PGOSTAR50GUY wrote:
sc00ter wrote:On a stock set up the ring is all good. Wonder what diameter the stock one was? The torque is usually 10-15 Nm for the exhaust bolts. We put Loc Tite on ours because of the silly revs that rattle/vibrate everything loose. The paper style can be bought in sheets from a auto parts store but is a PITA to cut! Only resort to that option in a pinch.

Let me check the aero manual.

Looks like if the manual to nb in my phone was paper id throw it but its not X.o

Paper it is i need to get double adhesive back paper.

Manual said nothing about ring lol piece of crap at the local motor cycle shop they want 5 for a new gasket.

Thats a trip to auburn, wa paper is more suitable in this app.

Says on flea bay 30mm ive got one stuck stud and one that comes right out. All comes off but one stud. Stays in the jug.

A freebe would be like finding a needle in a hay stack my book also says ignition timing is 18 degrees bftdc so should be like 17.5 - 17 degrees due to negitive.1 on stroke height. Not sure about the calculation but it also says should be at f at 2000rpm at idle then adjusted by idle down to 100rpm.

Weighing in at the con for dome tops they give fuzzy port timing thus explaining the 17.5 -17 degree theory.

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

$5 is fair. Pick up a extra one also, just in case. Now we have never messed with the port timing. We match our parts to the performance we are chasing. Just run the correct gaskets and it should be fine. Also, have never messed with the ignition timing. Do TONS OF RESEARCH if you even think you want to alter the ignition timing, as the smallest mistake will kill the top end in no time at all! Have seen it happen, and it happens with NO warning=just boom, now you need a whole new top end and possibly a crank with main bearings if any chunks go into the motor from behind the piston.
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:$5 is fair. Pick up a extra one also, just in case. Now we have never messed with the port timing. We match our parts to the performance we are chasing. Just run the correct gaskets and it should be fine. Also, have never messed with the ignition timing. Do TONS OF RESEARCH if you even think you want to alter the ignition timing, as the smallest mistake will kill the top end in no time at all! Have seen it happen, and it happens with NO warning=just boom, now you need a whole new top end and possibly a crank with main bearings if any chunks go into the motor from behind the piston.

Oh trust me, im well over on research im running double base gaskets to prevent the piston slapping the head its also milled if there is 1 base gasket expect hitting but leveled with bore edges. Two still at the top of bore but enough clearance to turn over by hand at 9ft lbs.

30 for a piston + 30 shipping + another 30 for rings helllll NAH got a whole minarelli dome top i like the aspect of minarelli/yamaha vs honda them spree boyz lit fire under my ear so f they product. Cv50 nb50 all the same and simular. The final result is exhaust port shape or if you want ya carb and reeds on the back of its kneck.

.1 isnt a big differance after looking at the net and getting hounded on by the misses damn right im holding my grounds. Runs woth high compression top.

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

A roll of solder and a decent pair of calipers are worth having when you set the squish. We use whatever the manufacturer suggest in the specs for the squish setting. A good cylinder kit comes with a spec sheet and IF it does not we default back to the factory manual. You should be running 1 thicker base gasket and a thick head gasket. I see no reason why you would have to run 2 base gaskets unless someone took too much when they milled it, or you are not using a head gasket. Double base gaskets have a habit of leaking (we have a friend who over milled his head), so again, do a leak down test!
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:A roll of solder and a decent pair of calipers are worth having when you set the squish. We use whatever the manufacturer suggest in the specs for the squish setting. A good cylinder kit comes with a spec sheet and IF it does not we default back to the factory manual. You should be running 1 thicker base gasket and a thick head gasket. I see no reason why you would have to run 2 base gaskets unless someone took too much when they milled it, or you are not using a head gasket. Double base gaskets have a habit of leaking (we have a friend who over milled his head), so again, do a leak down test!

Its all adhiesive based gasket no leaks hense steady idle, the oem nb50 gaskets are thicker for the cylinder head. Only took one.