CLUTCH UPGRADE, EXHAUST MUFFLER SWAP UPGRADE, AND FINAL CARB

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

87PGOSTAR50GUY

CLUTCH UPGRADE, EXHAUST MUFFLER SWAP UPGRADE, AND FINAL CARB

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

Are all PGO/ genuine Scooter clutches interchangeable? I'm interested in swapping to a performance clutch from mallosi vs my stock 87 clutch in theory wont a preformance clutch improve up hill take off for those fancy what nots?

As for the muffler if anyone has owned one of these:

Tecnigas silent Pro race exhaust: Please inform me about your experience with this muffler I would love a stage 2 version like this.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... _te0307300

My stock muffler looks like sheet and probably is molded like sheet too from 18-28 years useage.

Next, does the genuine buddy 50 carb have a fuel mixture screw? I have yet to touch my second screw toward the back runs though fine but sploogy at idle rpm is set to highest as possible.

Thanks.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Your clutch will be a 105 or 107mm. 2 or 3 shoe. If you are not going to extreme, I would just replace the clutch shoe springs and the torque spring. That exhaust is really no better than a stock exhaust, hence it is a stock replacement. Technigas makes both a R and RS expansion exhaust that is good value vs. performance. The chromed wersion is worth the extra money too. Not sure what screw does what on the carb. A service manual will have all that listed. I would go Stage 1 and start learning the ropes, then build to your ultimate goals as money and skill permit.
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:Your clutch will be a 105 or 107mm. 2 or 3 shoe. If you are not going to extreme, I would just replace the clutch shoe springs and the torque spring. That exhaust is really no better than a stock exhaust, hence it is a stock replacement. Technigas makes both a R and RS expansion exhaust that is good value vs. performance. The chromed wersion is worth the extra money too. Not sure what screw does what on the carb. A service manual will have all that listed. I would go Stage 1 and start learning the ropes, then build to your ultimate goals as money and skill permit.

sc00ter wrote:Your clutch will be a 105 or 107mm. 2 or 3 shoe. If you are not going to extreme, I would just replace the clutch shoe springs and the torque spring. That exhaust is really no better than a stock exhaust, hence it is a stock replacement. Technigas makes both a R and RS expansion exhaust that is good value vs. performance. The chromed wersion is worth the extra money too. Not sure what screw does what on the carb. A service manual will have all that listed. I would go Stage 1 and start learning the ropes, then build to your ultimate goals as money and skill permit.

My mind is advanced to stage 2 (spent too much time together) but if im buying a pipe set may as well swap on the low low or sounds easier to gut my current exhaust buy a graded gauged tin over and lightly repack the muffler.

As for that screw leftus of the right screw it is my gas idle screw and right screw is said to be my air fuel screw.

It has no needle but is a a screwable cap.

this expains my richness/spittle at idle lack of air but runs strong the clutch idea isnt acceptable I rather replace the whole clutch with a preformance clutch. Bearly on 900 miles but thats 18 years a sleep checked, retested, and rebuilt oem top end -.1 on the stroke for a dome top.

I dont wish to do a visual expansion chamber unless its a dipped clean blacked out old bucket expansion chamber NO COP HEAT. if I delete rev limit it drives 52 mph. Stock pipes or not im shitting on the new products restricted or not.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

To get real power a expansion type exhaust is the only way to go. I had my raw finish Yasuni R matte blacked and it was kinda quiet overall, and it didnt draw much "unwanted" attention in matte black. Was tricky removing the restriction cone in the cylinder end but it made great power for the price. Im pretty sure the carb has a needle in it, and the sputter is jet related-as is partially clogged from sitting. Old scoot/bike plus low millage equals gummed up carb. You seem to have gotten it running, so that is good. Oh, and make sure that 52mph is not 52kph. Some of the early imports did not have mph gearing in the drive. The dash will say MPH but its really KPH. I had a Elite 250 get stuck in KPH, learned how to calculate on the fly after awhile.
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:To get real power a expansion type exhaust is the only way to go. I had my raw finish Yasuni R matte blacked and it was kinda quiet overall, and it didnt draw much "unwanted" attention in matte black. Was tricky removing the restriction cone in the cylinder end but it made great power for the price. Im pretty sure the carb has a needle in it, and the sputter is jet related-as is partially clogged from sitting. Old scoot/bike plus low millage equals gummed up carb. You seem to have gotten it running, so that is good. Oh, and make sure that 52mph is not 52kph. Some of the early imports did not have mph gearing in the drive. The dash will say MPH but its really KPH. I had a Elite 250 get stuck in KPH, learned how to calculate on the fly after awhile.

My carbs brand new, all new lines, fresh oil, pretty much the whole 9 yards, done by me as for spittle I mean sploogee its is mph trust me and my fuel systems driven by gravity feed.

It dislikes high octane like 92 R+M /2 but loves 87, 92 makes her run hot which I really don't want to put that on my new dome top piston and oem rehoned by hand + stone hone cylinder that was designed to run 92 on a dished piston.

in my specs change and findings adding too much octane leads to failure of head gasket systems unless it has a copper gasket.

Its all custom over here 40mm x 39.2 dome top vs Honda 40mm x 39.3 dished running on advanced timing.

No ones got a star on this form but me so I really went on a limb for this scooter + I just obtained the title after 4 months debating from the first and original owner.

I may also be running rich because its multi purpose 2 cycle oil from valvoline vs 2 stroke motorcycle oil.

Give me a list of good stage two pipe makers for the low low I'll put a $100.00 on a blacked out expansion chamber with chrome tip exhaust.

You made me laugh though when you said gum in the carb, (87 PGO STAR GUY) doesn't play about his vintage which is why I need muffler and clutch. BTW EX Virginian from Waverly, VA CLASS GRAD OF 2009 Sussex Central High.

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Wife works in Sussex, we live in Norfolk. She works in security and has to be at work no matter the weather. Have a slightly lifted Subaru Baja for her work runner. Carries a chainsaw during bad weather. Strange that you ended up on the other coast. You in the military? Only time I ever left VA was when I moved to PA for 3 years. Now Im back in VA. Truck driving was not for me!
87PGOSTAR50GUY

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

sc00ter wrote:Wife works in Sussex, we live in Norfolk. She works in security and has to be at work no matter the weather. Have a slightly lifted Subaru Baja for her work runner. Carries a chainsaw during bad weather. Strange that you ended up on the other coast. You in the military? Only time I ever left VA was when I moved to PA for 3 years. Now Im back in VA. Truck driving was not for me!

I just left for the work 5-6 years I've been here, Also dislike 1/4 of my grad class members won't getting no where with them suckas bringing ya down.

I've been all around the map in my younger days but find it pleasant here, so other then technigaswhat mufflers can I use? Sip scooter shop and scooter attack are the only two that sell my king BTW on that muffler thing its better if I don't use expansion chamber nothing worse then a sheriff with a stick up his butt about some stuff I did not do.

I'd just like a stage 2 exhaust that appears stock,