Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wilmette john

Post by Wilmette john »

Last edited by Wilmette john on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Interestingly, the Chicago Scooter Company has the same address as ScooterWorks.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

I feel like I missed something...
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:I feel like I missed something...
This was the story that got pulled:

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.co ... o-scooter/

Not sure why the OP pulled it. I hope my comment wasn't perceived as derogatory, I just found it interesting that the relationship wasn't mentioned in the article. Maybe Genuine is diversifying its product lines like some automakers have, like Nissan/Infinity or Toyota/Lexus. It would make sense with respect other recent market moves (e.g. Genuine Motorcycles). Locally, Buddy sales have been stagnant with more affordable alternatives from Kymco. If Genuine had a value brand, they could compete more effectively against bikes such as the Kymco Agility, Super 8 and Like, or the SYM/Lance offerings such as the PCH, Cabo and Cali Classic.
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

az_slynch wrote:Interestingly, the Chicago Scooter Company has the same address as ScooterWorks.
The Scooterworks website is also advertising the "Go" scooter for sale. Interesting that, so far, a relationship with Scooterworks is being acknowledged, but not a relationship with the Genuine Scooter Company.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

As a dealer, Scooterworks is always good to deal with for parts and a parts only warranty means no money lost on the service side of the deal. I'm in.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
az_slynch wrote:Interestingly, the Chicago Scooter Company has the same address as ScooterWorks.
The Scooterworks website is also advertising the "Go" scooter for sale. Interesting that, so far, a relationship with Scooterworks is being acknowledged, but not a relationship with the Genuine Scooter Company.
There is no relationship with Genuine. Sort of. I think this is Scooterworks Chicago, which is not Scooterworks USA, but the local dealer there. They're all connected, but very loosely at this point, with independent management. Genuine and Scooterworks USA (parts supplier) no longer based next door on Damen, even.

So. There's money to be made in cheap scooters. But… hm.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Went by my dealer to pick up the Yager on Wednesday and they have a pair of Chicago Scooter Company Go! 50s on display. One in grey and one in green. A bit surprising, as they've historically avoided selling 50s due to the difficulty those small motors have in coping with Tucson traffic.

Fit and finish looks surprisingly good for the price point. The dashboard is spartan at best, but again, price point! Hydraulic disc up front is a nice touch, though servicing the reservoir will require removal of the cowling. The one odd bit that stood out was the EGR valve in the exhaust downpipe; the recirculation hose arcs right around over the dipstick access, so it might be a nuisance when checking the oil.

I may try to finagle a ride at some point, out of curiousity. Since my local dealer initially had not interest in them, I had considered buying one in Las Cruces before I got clued in on the K-Pipe. Been wanting to put together something like a timed 50cc poker run around town using the secondary streets for funsies and to promote the small motor riders. Heck, between John K. and myself, we have about ten 50cc scoots!
Attachments
Chicago Scooter Company Go! 50cc scooters at ScootOver.
Chicago Scooter Company Go! 50cc scooters at ScootOver.
ChicagoScooterGo.jpg (154.62 KiB) Viewed 961 times