Highsiding more with shorter shock

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Argee

Highsiding more with shorter shock

Post by Argee »

I put a 9.625" rear shock on, and have been dragging the center stand more often in left turns. I don't get it, since the stand stays snug against the tranny case and that has not changed height above ground. The only other thing I noticed is that the rubber bumper sometimes gets squished behind the tranny case protrusion that it normally touches,obviously from the modified geometry. Ideas? The only thing I can think, is that the Green Vomit handles much better with the increased trail, and I may be unconsciously taking the turns faster...
Attachments
highsiding & stand bumper squishing.jpg
highsiding & stand bumper squishing.jpg (90.68 KiB) Viewed 377 times
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Have you measured the height of the center stand from the ground with the scooter off of the stand(balanced on two wheels straight up and down) and compared that to a Buddy with a regular length shock? My guess is the stand will be closer to the ground with the short shock.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

If you did new tires around the same time they cold be causing the lower center stand dragging. I have the lowered rear shock and have never noticed the center stand dragging any worse until I did the tires. Same size as stock, its just the Vee Rubber tires have a weird profile.
Argee

I made it better

Post by Argee »

Good idea on the tires. I didn't change them, but decided to check the pressure. No flats.

The swingarm-tranny angle is still below horizontal, so no matter how much lower the oil cooler or side stand might be, since the center stand rests against the tranny case it literally cannot get closer to the ground. Note also that most people get a 9.25" shock, and this one is 9.625".

So, I went ahead and removed the 5/8" tall rubber stop and replaced it with a flattened piece of rubber hose. A short ride around the house seems to confirm it's better. Note that the RIGHT HAND stand leg now touches the oil drain flange, so I put a piece of hose on that for now. I might bend out the leg in the future, since it's only about 1/8" overlap.
Attachments
ctr stand bumper mod.jpg
ctr stand bumper mod.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 355 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I scrape my sidestand on most left turns, and I still could flatten a penny like one of those boardwalk presses with my butt cheeks. The rear Vee Rubber is getting worn out, so S1's are going on next. All I know is I run the cheaper of the YSS rear shocks for the Buddy 125. No remote reservoir. Stock shock was crunchy from a few winter seasons, and this was a bit cheaper and in stock. Mine has the white spring, have also seen black and red springs. I think its just whatever color the factory has on hand. Glad you found a solution that makes you less likely to flat press pennies! I thought of just removing the center stand but I know the scoot will roll of the side stand while warming up in the winter.