Thoughs on the Hooligan and Upgrades

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Trimmedout15

Thoughs on the Hooligan and Upgrades

Post by Trimmedout15 »

I curently have a Zuma 50 with all the mods. Looking to upgrade and came across the Hooligan. How do you guys like them? Any issues I need to be aware of? I ride mostly around town and will use it just for fun, not a commuter. I like that it does "60" but also want to accelerate hard, what kind of mods are available for me? One last question, what is everyone paying for them, any less then sticker price? How much for frieght and prep?

Thank you for your expert opinions
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The Hooligan already comes with the lighter rollers from the Buddy 125 for nice acceleration. If you find yourself cruising at higher speeds more often you can always get them changed out for the heavier Buddy 170i rollers. It's usually a little sluggish at first before the engine gets broken in so keep that in mind if you test ride a brand new bike.

We charge $225 for shipping and $225 for dealer prep. Dealer prep on a Hooligan will be a few bucks more than a lesser model because there's a bit of assembly.
skipper20

Re: Thoughs on the Hooligan and Upgrades

Post by skipper20 »

Trimmedout15 wrote:I curently have a Zuma 50 with all the mods. Looking to upgrade and came across the Hooligan. How do you guys like them? Any issues I need to be aware of? I ride mostly around town and will use it just for fun, not a commuter. I like that it does "60" but also want to accelerate hard, what kind of mods are available for me? One last question, what is everyone paying for them, any less then sticker price? How much for frieght and prep?

Thank you for your expert opinions
Forget the mods. With the Hooligan you'll have everything you want and then some. On the way to the Buddy dealer for my 500 mile service I hit 70 mph indicated which would be about 65 actual. And, the acceleration from a stop puts me a block ahead of 4 wheel traffic. I paid sticker price plus dealer prep and shipping but they gave me a free windshield and a nice discount on rear rack and matching top case. Again, don't worry about "modding". You'll be wasting your money with the Hooligan and decreasing its reliability as well.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
'14 170i Matte Green Hooligan
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Do they (Hooligans) still have the hot weather power cut to "protect" the engine from overheating?
Trimmedout15

Post by Trimmedout15 »

I dont like the sound of power cut out. Also im not into things being stock, are there aftermarket pipes or other upgrades available for this scooter?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Trimmedout15 wrote:I dont like the sound of power cut out. Also im not into things being stock, are there aftermarket pipes or other upgrades available for this scooter?
OK, it's a free world and if you've got $ to burn, go for it. But at least wait until the 2 year warranty is over or you'll be invalidating it with all the non-approved by Genuine modifications.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Matte Green Hooligan
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Its that hot weather power cut issue that makes me not want one. Shame as I think they are very nice scooters otherwise. Personally I have no urge to mod anymore, as I will just buy something bigger if I need to go faster. My Buddy 125 is my main trans right now, and all I wish for is more space for a passenger. With my no Yamaha policy (Zuma 125 falling apart after 1 winter) and no SYM policy (Got Parts?) my options are becoming limited in the 125-200cc category.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

I haven't heard of any issues with the Hooligan going into a limp mode (I don't even think they have that capability). That was just the Blur for a while.

The Hooligan is fitted with an oil cooler like the Buddy 170, but no spin on oil filter. It should run highway longer than you can if you keep the oil changed.
Trimmedout15

Post by Trimmedout15 »

No oil filter? Just dump the oil and put fresh?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Well, not exactly. You have your small oil screen still there like a standard GY6 engine. The downside is that you don't get to enjoy the longer oil change interval a spin-on filter gives you although I still change my Buddy's oil every 1200 and just change the filter every other change.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Dont worry about the simple oil screen, alot of scoots and bikes still use it.Works as intended. I to am still considering a Hooligan. My semi-local dealership is very upfront about issues and things they have seen fail. Every time I go there they try to get me on one. A Burgman 200 is also very tempting, just for the extra power and liquid cooling. Will always keep the Buddy 125. It was my wife's first scoot/bike and is still fun to ride. Oh, and Trimm, why did you get out of 2t Zuma tuning? I had one soft seize on the way to work on a 22degree day, along with other tuning break-downs, so I put it back to stock and sold it. Finally got rid of all the tuning parts to a friend that still messes with them. Fun while it lasted, just dont have the love for 2t tuning anymore.
Trimmedout15

Post by Trimmedout15 »

Still have and love my Zuma, never any issues and is pretty fast for what it is. Just want to go faster and like the idea of a 4 stroke. My friends and I all want the new ones and we are very competitive, thats why i ask about mods. We race boats and cars so why stop with scooters lol. Hopefully a dealer with give some kind of deal on 4 new scoots.
Trimmedout15

Post by Trimmedout15 »

Where would be the best place to sell my Zuma if I decide to let it go? Where I live you dont see many scooters.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I know you are a member of the "Zuma" Forums, as anyone who hot rods one ends up on that site. I put mine back to stock to get more money out of it, and sold all the high performance parts separate. Actually, I sorta sponsored someones build. Sold my Stage 6 quick spring change clutch, Stage 6 vent bell, Malossi Multivar 2000,TNT adjustable oil pump, 08 rear sheave, 15/50 gears, Delorto 19mil carb, unrestricted intake, Malossi reed cage, single cable comversion, oversized OEM airbox for a 100cc Zuma, new OEM belts-3 total, Yasuni R exhaust, TONS of reeds-roller sets-jets-risers for reed cage-gaskets-etc. and swapped my motor for his motor-I had a Doppler 15,000 RPM crank with Stage 6 mains and Polini seals-he still had the stock crank, and a extra set of motor cases w/stator etc. all for $20. Sold the stock 08 Zuma for $400 to a friends son. Had around 8000 miles of trouble free fun with the BBK (70cc Stage 6 aluminum), just the little things started to aggravate me! Still get to ride it on a regular basis.
Syd

Post by Syd »

sc00ter wrote:Its that hot weather power cut issue that makes me not want one. Shame as I think they are very nice scooters otherwise. Personally I have no urge to mod anymore, as I will just buy something bigger if I need to go faster. My Buddy 125 is my main trans right now, and all I wish for is more space for a passenger. With my no Yamaha policy (Zuma 125 falling apart after 1 winter) and no SYM policy (Got Parts?) my options are becoming limited in the 125-200cc category.
Do you know people unable to get parts for their SYMs?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:With my no Yamaha policy (Zuma 125 falling apart after 1 winter) and no SYM policy (Got Parts?) my options are becoming limited in the 125-200cc category.
Your call, but my experience is that Yamaha makes pretty solid bikes, plus Sym has taken care of their parts supply problem. More to the point, everybody in the scooter business makes models in the 125 -200 class. Take your pick - Vespa, Piaggio, Kymco, Honda, Suzuki, Sym, Yamaha, whatever.
Last edited by Dooglas on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I wait an eternity for SYM parts and half the time I get the WRONG parts, so I have first hand experience with Alliance and their "better" parts supply. And yes, Yamaha makes a great product, but after 1 winter/15,000 miles every fastener corroded PLUS a fun electrical problem (choke circuit shorted out) Im done with them also. Before you jump all over me, the 08 Buddy 125 has been thru MANY winters and still looks good AND I have never had any electrical issues. Lifan makes the Zuma 125 and the Smax FOR Yamaha-to a price point-that makes its price point known if you ride year round. Wife will have final call on the next run about since she will be passenger. It will be 1)Genuine Hooligan-known quality, I own a Buddy!. 2)Honda PCX-no flat flloor but still doable. 3)Burgman 200-no test rides anywhere sucks. 4)BV350-our wild card if we like the way it rides, waiting for one to be in stock. We average 10-15000 miles a year on the run about (beater if you will) and if we go far we take her Can-Am 2 up. She does not ride two wheels, only passenger.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

the Zuma 50 was my first scoot too. I liked it, but 50cc isn't as feasible for my riding (that, and people MUST go 45 between stoplights...). You'll probably take a loss on the sale, but such is life.

The Hooligan or Burgman would be excellent choices.

I'm a full time rider as well, we tend to rack up a lot on our bikes.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:BV350-our wild card if we like the way it rides, waiting for one to be in stock.
I admit to some prejudice here. I think the BV 350 is a great bike. Powerful motor, great brakes and suspension, best handling scooter I have ever ridden. Also, a far better choice for most 2-up riding than a 175-200 scooter. Will cruise at any legal speed you choose and can run all day if that is your desire.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The hooligan does have the limp mode sensor for heat in the valve cover. I know of no one activating it yet. Its gotta be a pretty hot day with a big hill to activate one.
There may be a pipe on the way :), and there are a few little things to do to hop one up. We have one as a "shop-bike" and its been fun so far. We did add the front running lights as running lights for more visibility. The nautilus air horn WILL fit with some tweeking under the headlight cowl.
We played around with the stock CVT and made it work a little better for not much money, its a fun bike, I really dig the 12" wheels.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Syd

Post by Syd »

sc00ter wrote:Before you jump all over me...
No jumping here. I'd just heard people complain about parts problems without any personal experience. Hell, my dealer was able to get parts after the Carter fire. Sorry you had troubles with Alliance.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Trimmedout15 wrote:Where would be the best place to sell my Zuma if I decide to let it go? Where I live you dont see many scooters.
As I mentioned earlier, the Hooligan would be an excellent choice for you but I haven't seen any come up on the used market, i.e. Craig's List so owners must be satisfied enough that they want to hang on to them. This leaves you buying new from a dealer. Depending on whether or not your state has sales tax, the new out the door selling price with dealer prep and shipping included is probably going to be $3500 - $4000. As an alternative to the Hooligan and basically the same engine size, 163cc vs. 169cc, think about paying about 1/2 of the Hoolie's new price and getting yourself a 2011 - 2013 used Kymco Like 200i. EFI like the Hooligan and the same dual disc brakes, same 12" wheel and tire size, same dual rear shocks and to make up for a bit less under the seat storage space, a rear rack and color matched 29L top case at no extra charge. Yes, it's made in China (where most scooter parts are now made) but unlike most China scoots, it has a strong network of Kymco dealers with service and spare parts readily available. However, if you're 5' 10" tall or taller, you're not going to like the Like 200i's stock seat as you'll be sitting right on top of the ridge or hump in the middle which separates driver from passenger. I had mine redone by a Seattle area custom MC seat maker using my old cover. Cost was $125 + sales tax. It's now a VERY comfortable ride.

For the money you save by buying a gently used and properly maintained Like 200i you'll be able to keep your Zuma 50 as a back-up scooter or maybe just for old time's sake.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan
'13 200i Kymco Like 200i :)
DeeDee

Friends don't let friends by a LIke

Post by DeeDee »

Friends don't let friends buy a Like. I owned one for 3,000 miles. It was the worse scooter I have ever owned. I bought it at 400 miles and by 3,000 the exhaust shield had rattled loose, the engine was seeping oil from the seam on the case. The ergonomics on that scooter is horrible. The seat is designed for a 5'2" person. IMO horrible, horrible scooter.
skipper20

Re: Friends don't let friends by a LIke

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:Friends don't let friends buy a Like. I owned one for 3,000 miles. It was the worse scooter I have ever owned. I bought it at 400 miles and by 3,000 the exhaust shield had rattled loose, the engine was seeping oil from the seam on the case. The ergonomics on that scooter is horrible. The seat is designed for a 5'2" person. IMO horrible, horrible scooter.
I took care of the seat so give me credit for that. Except for the stock seat (which is not a problem if you're under 5' 10"), it's one of the better scooters I've owned over the years. It's front and rear disk brakes, 12" wheels and tires and dual rear shocks put it ahead of my 170i Italia and on par with my Hooligan. At 3,800 miles it's 163cc EFI engine is leak free and running strong. I would definitely recommend it to a friend. You must have had a lemon.

Bill in Seattle
Trimmedout15

Post by Trimmedout15 »

viney266 wrote:The hooligan does have the limp mode sensor for heat in the valve cover. I know of no one activating it yet. Its gotta be a pretty hot day with a big hill to activate one.
There may be a pipe on the way :), and there are a few little things to do to hop one up. We have one as a "shop-bike" and its been fun so far. We did add the front running lights as running lights for more visibility. The nautilus air horn WILL fit with some tweeking under the headlight cowl.
We played around with the stock CVT and made it work a little better for not much money, its a fun bike, I really dig the 12" wheels.
Great info from everyone here, thank you guys very much. What did you do to the CVT? I appreciate all the tips and any advanages to stay in front of my friends 8)