Helmet to Helmet communicating

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

luckyscroller788

Helmet to Helmet communicating

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Admittedly, I know nothing on this. My wife and I have been wanting some sort of device for talking to each other ( mostly her hollering.... me listening, of course!!! :roll: ). We don't have smart phones, or anything fancy like that, so what are our options? We wear 3/4 helmets usually with face shields, and she has a windscreen on her Buddy. I saw this item and wondered if this is what might work for us http://www.leatherup.com/p/Bluetooth-He ... 31694.html . Its way more expensive than I anticipated something like this costing. Are there many of these types of devices out there, and any that you'd recommend, or warn me to stay away from? Thanks
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Go with something from Sena.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

+1 on Sena. Multi-party intercom, good range, multiple Bluetooth support if you should add a phone (smart or not), and some models offer FM radio. The hold a nice price point compared to Cardo.

You need two kits for two riders, but I've added the speaker/mic kit to both my helmets and can snap the control module on to whichever I wear for my solo jaunts.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I haven't much knowledge of things really, a two way radio is a two way radio to me. Smart phone, dumb phone I don't know either. I'm tyipcally a solo rider, I don't need a 'coms system' to talk to myself inside my helmet, (another story there for another time) but if you're looking 'inexpensive' look at this. http://click.m.cyclegear.com/?qs=5a35da ... 77006ff742
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Oh, in my case the FM radio gets the most use, and I've yet to use the intercom with anyone, but the Bluetooth link to my phone is there so that the Mrs. can reach me in an emergency while I'm out doing the solo-riding thing. :-)
luckyscroller788

Thanks. I was hoping more would chime in on this, but I do realize it is a specialty item. So far from what I've looked at and read online I am leaning toward the Sena SMH5-FM the dual kit.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

luckyscroller788 wrote:Thanks. I was hoping more would chime in on this, but I do realize it is a specialty item. So far from what I've looked at and read online I am leaning toward the Sena SMH5-FM the dual kit.
That's a very nice kit. I've got an SMH-10, and various riding buddies have various other Sena BT communicators. They all easily intercom with each other. The SMH-5FM doesn't have quite the distance of the SMH-10 or 20, but still very good. If the two of you typically ride within view of each other it will not be an issue. You do save some $$ compared to the 10 or 20 series, plus you can listen to the radio!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Since the more recent firmware upgrades, Sena now claims some cross-brand interoperability. I haven't had the opportunity to test this. It shouldn't really impact a purchase decision for a new pair of units, but it may be a factor if you ride with more folks on a trip or rally.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Sena all the way. All my regular riding buddies and GF have the SMH10. If you're using 3/4 helmets get the ones with the attached boom mic. Below is a link to the dual kit, includes everything plus a kitchen sink. Multiple mounting options, extra parts, optional microphone wind protectors, usb and accessories chargers, speaker spacers etc... you get a lot for the price. Battery life, distance and sound quality are all top notch, can't go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-10-Mo ... sena+smh10
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sena has a new version of the SMH10, the 10S, coming out soon. (I was hoping to see it before the holidays, but so far, nope.) It has expanded range, a slimmer profile, improved speakers and some other new features that should be worth the wait.

http://www.sena.com/product/10s/

I know several people who had the SMH10 and upgraded to the SMH20. A few regret having done the upgrade — said the extra features weren't worth the price for them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
luckyscroller788

Thanks everyone. Sena it will be for sure. Not 100% set yet on the model. that new 10 series one you mentioned Eric does sound great, and it is available according to their site, but only inmultiples of 20 :shock:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Bought my kit and 2nd-helmet rig from Amazon, no problem.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

luckyscroller788 wrote:Thanks everyone. Sena it will be for sure. Not 100% set yet on the model. that new 10 series one you mentioned Eric does sound great, and it is available according to their site, but only inmultiples of 20 :shock:
Group buy?
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

ericalm wrote:Sena has a new version of the SMH10, the 10S, coming out soon. (I was hoping to see it before the holidays, but so far, nope.) It has expanded range, a slimmer profile, improved speakers and some other new features that should be worth the wait.

http://www.sena.com/product/10s/

I know several people who had the SMH10 and upgraded to the SMH20. A few regret having done the upgrade — said the extra features weren't worth the price for them.
That's cool, my only gripe with the SMH10 is getting a group com going with 4 people when those people also connect to other people, you have to connect in a certain order or re-pair every time. I like this will use the smartphone app to set up pairs like the 20, hopefully the price point will be less so upgrading isn't such a pain in the wallet.
luckyscroller788

With the help from you all, my kids got us a sena SMH5-FM dual setup for Christmas! Thanks everyone for the advice
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

The 10S does nothing for me. I would buy the 10C if I were buying one now. I use a Scala Rider and thoroughly enjoy it. I go on rides 1-2 times a week with 4-5 other people and I have no desire to link to them.

I listen to my music and answer the phone when I ride. I use an Android app called Car Dashboard that I very much like. It automatically turns on my Bluetooth and connects to my Scala Rider. It also has a feature that will automatically read incoming text messages to me and autoresponds that I am riding and if it is important to call me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The 10S turns out to be priced very close to the 20S, only $60 less at $239. Kind of a disappointment. Instead of upping the specs and keeping the price point for their smaller product, they now have this unnecessarily large range of products at prices that don't quite make sense.

I might try to find a cheaper SMH10 or 10R first though I'd prefer one with more range. Oh well! I'm too cheap to keep buying the new products when they come out like some of my riding pals.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…