Eeeeeeelectrical Issue, UGH.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Post Reply
User avatar
ericalm
Site Admin
Posts: 17657
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Eeeeeeelectrical Issue, UGH.

Post by ericalm »

I was blowing fuses like crazy. Replaced the stock fuse with a 10A blade fuse. Did fine for a couple starts, then blew. Right handlebar switch was bad. Replaced it and the wiring. Works great. Fuse: blown. Loose ground on a signal rectified. Blown fuse.

So I decided to ignore it for a while and kickstart.

But the days are shorter and I want more headlight and I should probably fix that dang thing.

Charged the battery with the tender. Soon as I turned the ignition on, blew a fuse. Heh heh heh.

Replaced it, then was able to use electric start once before it blew.

So, before I start going through the annoying and arduous process of working my way around the wiring harness with my multimeter, I may try to test the regulator. BUUUUUUUT if anyone else has any ideas, I'm open. Because hunting for these things, if you couldn't tell, is not my favorite thing to do.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
User avatar
az_slynch
Member
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by az_slynch »

Check the harness where it passes between the chassis and the headset. The harness can get chafed there if not routed properly and you might have an intermittent short. A shorted power lead will blow a fuse post-haste.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
avescoots1134
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Post by avescoots1134 »

The problem area is usually where the headset meets the frame and your issue will certainly be a power wire.

If you have the time and space to work, I'd go for a full tune up to make the wiring chase seem worth it. Since you will have to pull the headset, install some new cables. Heck, go ahead and pull the tank and replace the Indian fuel line with some good stuff.

Everyone loathes wiring issues but when you get a bit of maintenance done at the same time you're yanking the harness out it sure feels easier.
User avatar
ericalm
Site Admin
Posts: 17657
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Post by ericalm »

Thanks, guys!
az_slynch wrote:Check the harness where it passes between the chassis and the headset. The harness can get chafed there if not routed properly and you might have an intermittent short. A shorted power lead will blow a fuse post-haste.
That's actually highly possible. The wires are pretty tight (of course) but I've done my share of fiddling around in there and cramming various other things through that opening while replacing some other wiring, etc.
avescoots1134 wrote:The problem area is usually where the headset meets the frame and your issue will certainly be a power wire.

If you have the time and space to work, I'd go for a full tune up to make the wiring chase seem worth it. Since you will have to pull the headset, install some new cables. Heck, go ahead and pull the tank and replace the Indian fuel line with some good stuff.

Everyone loathes wiring issues but when you get a bit of maintenance done at the same time you're yanking the harness out it sure feels easier.
I need to pull the headset and do a few other things anyways (loose speedo cable). Hopefully that's the spot!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
50CC Cape Cod
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Hi Eric,
If not fixed as of yet may try and check out the electric contacts may have pulled apart and grounding out the positive wire or if the wires are tight
the insulation worn through grounding out the wires as well.
I saw your review on the Stella from the past any updated impressions?
I am looking at a 2011 with only 60 miles with sidecar hardly used.
Anything to be aware of and any idea of price range?
Thanks
Lenny
User avatar
ericalm
Site Admin
Posts: 17657
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Post by ericalm »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:Hi Eric,
I saw your review on the Stella from the past any updated impressions?
I am looking at a 2011 with only 60 miles with sidecar hardly used.
Anything to be aware of and any idea of price range?
My impressions are largely the same! The historical issues with the Stella shifters have generally been in the electrics. But I've also been a bit careless with some of the work I've done on this one, which included some additional wiring and some incautious drilling… Heh. This particular issue could be wear or it could be me. I haven't had a chance to dive in and look.

My only other complaint is the stock exhaust. Too brittle. I replaced mine with the Tasso after a couple warranty replacements. Both failures occurred after some particularly hard riding — one when I may have escaped it while cornering and the other during a 150-mile trek.

It runs so much differently with a sidecar, though, that I may not be the best to judge it for that use. I have some friends who run sidecars with 4Ts and love them. Some even put some fairly high miles on theirs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
avescoots1134
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Post by avescoots1134 »

This reminds me of why I traded away my Stella. A couple weeks ago I picked up a P200, popped the horn cover off for a coat of paint ... . .

There are two wires underneath, for the horn. Ah, simplicity.

Also the headset cover drops right on with no fighting. :D
50CC Cape Cod
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Eric,
I have found that making the electrical connections using good connectors,
a crimping tool (picked up at Harbor Freight) and a little die-electric grease
followed with either shrink wrap or something else to insulate the connection has been beneficial. Also allows to take out the tightness in the
wiring so does not disconnect and short out or have a ground problem.

On the riders with the Stellas with sidecars have they been in use for a few
years and any idea of the miles they have clocked?
I am only looking to keep stock and if can go 40-45 mph without any mechanical out of the ordinary issues would be fine.
Lenny
avescoots1134
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Post by avescoots1134 »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:Eric,
I have found that making the electrical connections using good connectors,
a crimping tool (picked up at Harbor Freight) and a little die-electric grease
followed with either shrink wrap or something else to insulate the connection has been beneficial. Also allows to take out the tightness in the
wiring so does not disconnect and short out or have a ground problem.

On the riders with the Stellas with sidecars have they been in use for a few
years and any idea of the miles they have clocked?
I am only looking to keep stock and if can go 40-45 mph without any mechanical out of the ordinary issues would be fine.
Lenny
If you want reliability, attaching a sidecar to a Stella is definitely not the way to go.
User avatar
misplacedyank
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 pm
Location: Surprise, AZ

Post by misplacedyank »

I bought a 2012 with 34 miles on it in April. I put a sidecar on it and it now has 2100 trouble free miles in 7 months.
ImageImage
User avatar
ericalm
Site Admin
Posts: 17657
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Post by ericalm »

4-Step Electrical Repairs
Attachments
electrical1-sm.jpg
electrical1-sm.jpg (269.14 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
User avatar
az_slynch
Member
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by az_slynch »

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

:lol:

So, is your Stella merely stunned, or is it a *late* scooter?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
User avatar
EvilNerdLord
Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 pm
Location: Marysville, CA

Post by EvilNerdLord »

az_slynch wrote:Check the harness where it passes between the chassis and the headset. The harness can get chafed there if not routed properly and you might have an intermittent short. A shorted power lead will blow a fuse post-haste.
I had that happen with my horn wire going from the switch down through the head...it actually got pinched so bad I had to remove the bad section and re-route around the pinch point in the steering column (run it down along side the other wires and made sure there was plenty of free play not to get bound during full turn motion)....no problems since.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Post Reply