2004 Stella 2T Rear Wheel Knocking Sound

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike Zero

2004 Stella 2T Rear Wheel Knocking Sound

Post by Mike Zero »

When I rock the bike side to side it makes a knocking sound. I removed the cotter pin and castle cover and checked the hub nut. It didn't seem loose. I tried to give it a good snug just for good measure but that didn't seem to do much. So I put it all back together with a new cotter pin. It still makes the knocking noise. I've linked to a video of the knocking sound below.

Is this normal?

What else should I check that could be making the knocking noise?

Thanks!

http://youtu.be/ngFMFSWJuLc
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

I think mine did that. As long as it doesn't knock when you spin the wheel you're likely fine.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

If you grab the rear spring/damper assembly can you wiggle it? Is it loose at the upper mount?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

That is crazy. And when you stop wiggling the bike, the sound has to slowly slow down and get quieter and taper off even though the bike is still sitting still. That is weird.
Does it do the same thing if you just grab the wheel and wiggle it and not wiggle the entire bike? Put your stella up on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground grab the wheel and wiggle it slowly and see if you can get the same sound.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jimmbomb wrote:Put your stella up on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground grab the wheel and wiggle it slowly and see if you can get the same sound.
Yup, agree with this. Also, does it still make the noise if you step on the rear brake while wiggling the scoot?

Have you pulled the wheel all the way off? I'd remove it, check the rear drum/hub and brake shoes. I'd check the shaft and make sure that the drum fits properly and that nothing is stripped. Then slap it all back together and make sure to torque that rear axle nut to spec (93Nm/about 69 ft. lbs.).

But… hard to tell where the knock is coming from. Are you sure it's the wheel?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Sounds like a loose shock/shock with a brittle bushing.
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

I jacked the rear wheel up and gave it a wiggle. It doesn't make the same loud knocking sound but it does feel like something is ever so slightly loose...almost unnoticeable.

I will try it with the rear brake applied. If it does still make the sound will that be an indication that something is wrong with the brake?

I am picking up a torque wrench this week so I will remove the wheel and check everything out. While I'm at it I will check out the rear spring / shock too.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll post an update.
:D
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

After listening to the video - this sounds like a potential reason because there needs to be some significant flex & mass (like suspended scooter weight) that continues to cause the continued rocking back and forth like that - rather than just stopping.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mike Zero wrote:I will try it with the rear brake applied. If it does still make the sound will that be an indication that something is wrong with the brake?
It might just mean that the drum/hub isn't on right. More of a "easy to rule out" check than a "highly likely" check because you'd probably feel it while riding if this was the case.
fisher1 wrote:
After listening to the video - this sounds like a potential reason because there needs to be some significant flex & mass (like suspended scooter weight) that continues to cause the continued rocking back and forth like that - rather than just stopping.
You might be able to check this by moving the shock or holding it while rocking the scoot. It seems like it doesn't take much force to make the noise happen. The shock's easy to remove and check as well.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
OCStella

Post by OCStella »

That sounds like the hub is not properly tighten or the wheel bearing have play. The wheel brake hub will act as an amplifier even the slightest movement and a well greased axle might allow the rocking after you quit pushing. Old drum type brakes on cars routinely made this type of sound. The sound difference a metal on metal shock will sound sharper as a banging, this is giving almost a base drum sound with sound resonating through the tire and hub.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

its play in the hub mine dos the same thing and it only has 1800 miles on it
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella