How to remover the Cylinder Cover (?)

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike Zero

How to remover the Cylinder Cover (?)

Post by Mike Zero »

In order to properly install a cylinder temp gauge I need to remove the plastic cover, I think it's called the cylinder cover. I have removed the two bolts that secure it but on the back side there is a hose/tube that is hooked to it. What is the best way to fully remove the cover? I don't want to accidentally yank out whatever hose/tube that is.

Thanks!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

There are 3 bolts holding the shroud on. Two attach to the flywheel cover and the third is located on the "top" of the shroud. The one on "top" attaches to a cylinder stud spacer.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Yeah.. then you have to wiggle, twist, and finesse that dude off, (& back on), cause the fuel line is behind it.
You can do it, good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

I thought that may be the fuel line that's attached to the shroud. So I guess it's ok to try and lift the fuel line out of the clamp? I say "clamp" for lack of correct term. It's more like a wide hook that is attached to the back of the shroud that the fuel line rests in.

BTW I know I didn't clarify but this is on a 2004 Stella 2T.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The "clamp" holds the HT wire from the coil to the spark plug. You need to pull the connector off the spark plug. Just move it away from the shroud.

You may also have some other electrical wires in that "clamp". Don't yank on them but move them out of the way.

Looking at the flywheel the fuel line will be in back of the shroud.

Not meaning to be snarky....but if you don't know how to remove the shroud why are you installing a CHT?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

where are you getting your CHT??
and how much?
Where are you going to locate the display?
Did you order the longer extension wire?

good luck with your install.. maybe do a DIY on your success.
thanks
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

jimmbomb wrote:where are you getting your CHT??
and how much?
Where are you going to locate the display?
Did you order the longer extension wire?

good luck with your install.. maybe do a DIY on your success.
thanks
Thanks Jimmbomb. I got it from TrailTech with the long extension. I'm going to mount it on top of the glovebox. I need to find my Flickr password so I can post some pics.
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

[quote="BuddyRaton"]Not meaning to be snarky....but if you don't know how to remove the shroud why are you installing a CHT?[/quote

I'm installing the CHT on the advice from Fisher1 so that I can keep an eye on my temps and hopefully prevent anything major from happening to my scoot. There is no local shop or mechanic that I can take my Stella so I'm going to have to learn to work on it myself. It's not that I don't know how to remove the shroud, I was just trying to make sure I don't accidentally pull out a fuel line or something. I removed the plug cap and the screws but when I try to finesse the plastic shroud off there is what appears to be the fuel line hooked to the back of the shroud, preventing me from being able to take it all the way off. I was hoping there might be a trick to getting it unhooked.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

Please don't take any offense to this, but if you want to expand your knowledge base and plan on doing a lot of work in the future pick up a Haynes manual:

http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/501

This will cover 99% of what you are going to need to do. For less than 50 dollars you can be assured you are doing things correctly.

Also, to be kind of devils advocate here....let say you get a reading on your CHT that you believe is higher that normal, what now? What temperature is safe? What not? How does this vary with ambient temperature? I guess what I'm getting at is how do you intend to use and evaluate the data? Furthermore, if you spend your time staring at a temperature gauge, your not riding very safe.

I my line of work having the most data is a good thing but when you don't know what the data means or make decisions based on assumptions based upon spurious data, you've made a serious error before you've fixed a problem. I just caution you to know what you're doing.

If all 2T scooters needed a CHT indicator to prevent a catastrophic failure, don't you think the manufacturer might have made a dummy light? My point being, if the scoot isn't running right or you think something is wrong, don't keep riding, stop and figure out what to do.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:The "clamp" holds the HT wire from the coil to the spark plug. You need to pull the connector off the spark plug. Just move it away from the shroud.

You may also have some other electrical wires in that "clamp". Don't yank on them but move them out of the way.

Looking at the flywheel the fuel line will be in back of the shroud.
On 2T Vespas and Stellas, there's a "clip" on the top of the shroud near the junction of the shroud and the fan cover; this is the place where the HT lead and harness wires are retained. On the 2T Stella, there's an additional "clip" on the back of the shroud that holds the fuel line. It's open to the bottom, so the line can be push down and out to release the line.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I really appreciate it.
I've ordered my Haynes manual so I'll have that for future reference.