The Unintentional Absentee Landlord

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

The Unintentional Absentee Landlord

Post by ericalm »

Uh. Hi.

It should be obvious to those who have been members for some time that I've been absent from MB for quite a while. Some of the rest of you will wonder who the hell I am. I'm the guy who's been neglecting this site when I was supposed to be running it.

SO. First, I should profusely thank and praise jrsjr for carrying far more than he volunteered for as Moderator Emeritus. And, of course, I thank the MB community for being, well, you, and carrying on in the way that I've always been proud of.

Though there are reasons, none are sufficient. I both feel that I owe the community some type of explanation and that any attempt at explanation would be essentially making excuses for failing to bear my responsibilities here. Additionally, I don't want to just pop in after an absence and unload a heap of stuff in some kind of bizarre emo confessional/journal/"too much information" dump.

I also feel a bit ashamed and am not trying to play for sympathy.

SO. Uh…

I had a lot going on. Some non-life-threatening medical issues. A lot of pressure and changes at work. Taking on too many things. And other… stuff. And I got overwhelmed. All my focus and energy was going to day-to-day tasks such as work and life, and I started neglecting things. It kind of snowballed, and continued doing so until I realized that I'd been burying a lot of my responsibilities and that something was probably wrong. So I went to my doctor and I'm working on it.

Does that sound like I became a drug addict or had a nervous breakdown? Honestly, nothing like that. I haven't had to deal with any more than most of you do. It just got very hard for me to do it and as a result I kind of checked out. Checking out is not a good way to deal with things.

ANYWAYS, thanks for reading through this overly long bit of navel-gazing which I realize doesn't sound as much like an apology as I'd like it to.

I am here, and hoping to again be worthy of MB.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Always take care of yourself first. Everything else can wait.

I hope you have things squared away to the point where you can enjoy life again.

Welcome back.
Last edited by k1dude on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Eric,

Just glad to hear you're out there, alive and kicking! Sounds like you could use another Cannonball scale ride to unplug and give yourself some breathing room. I'd gotten ground down by work, but parking the truck and getting scooter time in has helped greatly. Now, if I can only manage some wrenching time.
Last edited by az_slynch on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks! And good to see you guys are still here and active.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

And the ghost of Christmas past returns to haunt us once again! JK Eric, life happens and we all do what we have to to survive and hopefully stay happy. I was gone myself for 4+ years doing non-scooter/motorcycle stuff. Welcome back to the family.:)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome back, Eric! jrsjr is a good mod and all, but you post more when you're around. :rofl:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Good to see you back. You were missed.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Good to see you back. Life is prone to get damn complicated sometimes. Hope you are still riding a bit. Be well and strong. R
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You were gone? huh...didn't notice... :mrgreen:

Life happens and as much as we love them...really...they are just scooters. Good to hear from ya!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Good to hear from you, Eric. Wish you the best of everything.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Glad to see you back, you were missed!!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

k1dude wrote:Always take care of yourself first. Everything else can wait.

I hope you have things squared away to the point where you can enjoy life again.

Welcome back.
What he said.

We'll be here.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Eric, we are glad to have you back among us. Play your cards right and you will reach the kind of mythical status Jess has attained over on MV. (though I'm not sure about an MB-Bot alter ego) :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Good to have you back!

Listen, is there any advantage to using premium gas in our scoots?

:wink:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I've been there and back, Eric. Usually pretty good at keeping a positive attitude and outlook but sometimes even the "usual" human collection of crap to deal with that's part of our modern society can weigh down really heavy and press you into the earth.
Glad you are working it out and thanks for checking in.

We've been OK under jrsjr's watchful eye but you are definitely the major voice of MB (second to the collective consciousness inherent to a group this large) and we will be patient while you get a point where the site can benefit from your presence without being a burden.

Peace.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

charlie55 wrote:Good to have you back!

Listen, is there any advantage to using premium gas in our scoots?

No, but be sure the Seafoam level doesn't get too low in the clutch filter.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

charlie55 wrote:Listen, is there any advantage to using premium gas in our scoots?
Oh, forget that gas talk. The important thing is how much better my Brand "M" oil is than the Brand "S" oil that you use!

(Yes, Eric, the honeymoon is definitely over)
ahorsewithnoname

To site admin

Post by ahorsewithnoname »

Thanks for all the hard work making this site such a success. We take volunteers for granted sometimes. I just took for granted that in your absence, not noticed my me, everything was just going smoothly. Or that maybe you had locked your keys somewhere unmentionable. Anyway, "Mr. Eric Landlord" please don't raise my rent. I promise to behave.
Sincerely, Greatgrandpop
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Dooglas wrote:
charlie55 wrote:Listen, is there any advantage to using premium gas in our scoots?
Oh, forget that gas talk. The important thing is how much better my Brand "M" oil is than the Brand "S" oil that you use!

Eric, Dooglas is picking on me again. Make him stop.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

charlie55 wrote:Eric, Dooglas is picking on me again. Make him stop.
Yeah...

Welcome back, Almendral. The Sweathogs missed you. :P
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:

Okay, I'm going to settle this once and for all.

Use oil. Use the correct amount and weight.

Use gasoline. Use the recommended octane, or the closest available. Don't get all hung up on ethanol, additives, seasonal blends, all that stuff unless you have significant changes in performance. If that happens, it's probably all in your head or due to some other cause.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

k1dude wrote:Always take care of yourself first. Everything else can wait.

Welcome back.
Plus 1

Glad to have you back.
Scooter Commuter
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

ericalm wrote: Okay, I'm going to settle this once and for all.

Use oil. Use the correct amount and weight.

Use gasoline. Use the recommended octane, or the closest available. Don't get all hung up on ethanol, additives, seasonal blends, all that stuff unless you have significant changes in performance. If that happens, it's probably all in your head or due to some other cause.
Welcome back Eric!