Buddy 125 - Plastidip Paint Project

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Which color scheme should I try next?

Black and Vintage Gold
29%
Black and Hi-Viz Yellow
71%

Total votes: 17

walke2jd
In Time Out

Buddy 125 - Plastidip Paint Project

Post by walke2jd »

So, after rocking the previous owner's surf and skate stickers for the last few years, I finally decided it was time to change it up. I have always loved the gray and orange paint scheme on the Blur 220s, so I decided to use some old gray and red plastidip cans to give the front a makeover. I love the plastidip results, but not loving the color scheme as much as I thought I would.

Below is the test dip in Gray and Red:
Attachments
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG (76.51 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Last edited by walke2jd on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

So the gray and red will be getting removed and replaced by either black/vintage gold or black/hi-viz yellow.

I am leaning towards the hi-viz, as it would match my helmet and jacket combo, plus add a bit of visibility. But..... the vintage gold is pretty slick looking from a purely cosmetic standpoint.

Let me know what you think via poll. I have attached some example pics of the two paint schemes I am considering.
Attachments
Black and Hi-viz Yellow paint scheme
Black and Hi-viz Yellow paint scheme
black_hiviz.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Black and Vintage Gold paint scheme
Black and Vintage Gold paint scheme
Black_Gold.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

I like the vintage gold. Looks classic. The issue is your example is in gloss black and gold, and your working in flats. Don't get me wrong. I've not heard of this plastidip paint. I think what you have in the red and black looks good.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Black and hi viz is really "in." If you want to be current and stylish, you have your answer.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

k1dude wrote:Black and hi viz is really "in." If you want to be current and stylish, you have your answer.
Well, its not everyday that style and safety align, so maybe I should take advantage...
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

ModernMike wrote:I like the vintage gold. Looks classic. The issue is your example is in gloss black and gold, and your working in flats. Don't get me wrong. I've not heard of this plastidip paint. I think what you have in the red and black looks good.
Yes, I was wondering if the flat would take away from the look of the vintage gold. I could try using their "Glossifier" product, but Ive always loved the simplicity of regular plastidip.

If you haven't used it before, definitely pick up a can or two and try it out. I am slightly addicted to the stuff and have plastidipped all kinds of things. Ill post a few photos when I pull the gray and red off to show how easy it is to remove, with the original paint left unharmed.

Check out the forums at DipYourCar.com for a lot of inspiration projects. Everything from cars, jet skis, laptops, and even bathroom sinks have been dipped successfully.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I voted black and Hi-Viz yellow, but I think the colors should be reversed; black accents on a Hi-Viz Yellow body. Go big or go home!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Syd wrote:I voted black and Hi-Viz yellow, but I think the colors should be reversed; black accents on a Hi-Viz Yellow body. Go big or go home!
Ha, I was actually considering that, but I don't know if I'm ready to be THAT BRIGHT. I already wear a Hi-viz helmet and Jacket, so I may blind the other drivers....

It could be worth trying though

:D
Rune

Post by Rune »

Would love some before, during, after pics... Oh, and hi-vis