Rollers and belt

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ZootownScoot

Rollers and belt

Post by ZootownScoot »

I am relatively new to the scooter world. Last August I bought a new 2012 170i and I put 20-30 miles a day on traveling to and from work.

Today, I brought it in to my local Genuine dealer with 2200 miles on it with a complaint about the clutch. Over the last two hundred miles I noticed that during acceleration from a stop, it felt like the scooter would lurch a bit and the problem began to become more and more pronounced. The dealer diagnosed the problem as worn rollers and replaced them, the belt and the gasket.

They covered it under warranty but nobody could seem to answer the question if this was a normal to replace these parts after 2000 miles. Seems very early to have to replace these parts. Anyone have any thoughts?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

That's not normal. The standard suggestion on here seems to be new belt at ~8,000 miles. Rollers ~4,000 and ~8,000 miles. Belts and rollers can last 12,000+ miles for some people.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if it happens again in a short period of time, I would wonder if there isn't something amiss in the variator.

Also, are you riding WOT for long periods of time? MAYBE that could cause flat spots, but they're generally pretty tough.

At least it was taken care of under warranty.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Mine, at 5200mi, had been lurching a bit from a stop as well - felt like the transmission was 'grabbing' a bit too early. I took it in for another issue (turned out my stock exhaust was cracked), but an inspection showed that fortunately the belt and rollers were wearing OK, and a simple blow-out of accumulated dust was enough to smooth things back out again.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I changed belt and rollers on my 125 at 8000 buddy miles and everthing that I replaced still looked good. Had no problems or noticible decrease in performance prior to change.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Nearly 17000 miles on my original belt and rollers, they're getting replaced now. My mechanic said they were defiantly 'used up' I noticed nothing different.... Ooops.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ZootownScoot

Post by ZootownScoot »

skully93 wrote:if it happens again in a short period of time, I would wonder if there isn't something amiss in the variator.

Also, are you riding WOT for long periods of time? MAYBE that could cause flat spots, but they're generally pretty tough.

At least it was taken care of under warranty.
Nope, Not riding WOT very often. Mostly riding on streets in town going 30 to 40 mph.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd go with the blow it out idea then.

The transmissions aren't overly complex, but there are little niggles in things that can make it a pain to troubleshoot simply.

for the more experienced:

could it be the clutch glazed already?
wick1027

hooligans belt, and roller weights

Post by wick1027 »

Does anyone know the hooligans belt size and roller weights size and gram weight. Have a service manual but can not find this information anywhere. I even e mailed genuine, but no response. Thank you for your time.
babblefish

Re: hooligans belt, and roller weights

Post by babblefish »

wick1027 wrote:Does anyone know the hooligans belt size and roller weights size and gram weight. Have a service manual but can not find this information anywhere. I even e mailed genuine, but no response. Thank you for your time.
Other than the FI, the Hooligans engine/transmission looks exactly like the Blur 150. If so, then the stock roller specs should be: size - 18x14mm, weight - 12 gm. The belt is: 812x20x28, Bando p/n CP125. Your belt should have these markings printed on it.

Of course, double check these specs with your Hooligan before ordering parts.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Lot's of stop-and-go will give you flat spots as the rollers are moving back and forth more.
Next time you need new ones, go with Dr. Pulley sliders. They last longer and have smoother acceleration. The shape is designed to slide back and forth without having to roll.
2K seems early. I would blow the belt dust out of my CVT every oil change and every-other oil change I used to take the variator off and clean all the parts with brake cleaner. I tried to avoid removing the clutch for cleaning since that flat nut is a PITA to deal with.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Tocsik wrote:Lot's of stop-and-go will give you flat spots as the rollers are moving back and forth more.
Next time you need new ones, go with Dr. Pulley sliders. They last longer and have smoother acceleration. The shape is designed to slide back and forth without having to roll.
2K seems early. I would blow the belt dust out of my CVT every oil change and every-other oil change I used to take the variator off and clean all the parts with brake cleaner. I tried to avoid removing the clutch for cleaning since that flat nut is a PITA to deal with.
You're right about that. I customized a socket for this job by grinding down a standard socket to eliminate the chamfer around the perimeter of the opening in order to maximize the contact area between the socket and nut. Works great and doesn't slip off of the nut.
WileE

Post by WileE »

Replace the belt at 8k mi or more? Wow. My old TN'G belts used to break promptly at 4k km intervals. I was getting nervous riding around on my Pamplona with 5200 mi. Guess I can wait another couple thousand miles. Good to know.
Syd

Post by Syd »

babblefish wrote:Other than the FI, the Hooligans engine/transmission looks exactly like the Blur 150.
Isn't the Hooligan a 170? Is it a Blur engine with bigger jugs?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rollers and belt

Post by jrsjr »

ZootownScoot wrote:The dealer diagnosed the problem as worn rollers and replaced them, the belt and the gasket.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Sometimes rollers develop a flat spot and stop "rolling." Instead they slide on the flat spot and wear out in a hurry. We've heard of that happening at much lower miles than what you report. It happened to my Vespa in 3000 miles. The rollers were completely worn flat, hadn't been rolling in 500 miles at least, so they were trashed at 2500 miles or less.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Will Dr. Pulley rollers/sliders fit the stock variator on a Buddy 125 or do you need to get a special variator?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yes-they will work in the stock vario, just get them in the same size (16x13 for example-NOT sure what is in the Buddy) and pay attention that you install them correct. My friend swears by them and thats all he uses, I tend to get a weird oscillation from them. Some came with the Buddy 125 that I bought used but I gave them to a friend for his Vino 125, so I cant easily verify the roller size. Give them a try, you may like them. Dr Pulley ones are the best, but you can get off brand copies (ScooterNinja) for far less $-just make sure to weigh them before installing the off brands just to make sure they are what they say gram wise on the box. I also us a torque spring bearing for the rear clutch from NCY and a kevlar drive belt from Scooter Works to reduce the wear and tear as we (wife and I) are hard on scooters.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Syd wrote:
babblefish wrote:Other than the FI, the Hooligans engine/transmission looks exactly like the Blur 150.
Isn't the Hooligan a 170? Is it a Blur engine with bigger jugs?
AFAIK, the 170 engine is just a 150 with a bigger bore. One jug, it's a single cylinder engine.