New member. Maintenance Suggestions for 2004 Stella 2T GB150

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike Zero

New member. Maintenance Suggestions for 2004 Stella 2T GB150

Post by Mike Zero »

Just wanted to say a quick "Hello" to the forum. I recently acquired my first shifty and I'm looking forward to learning all I can from this group. I have owned 2 scooters, a Yamaha Riva (back in '90) and a 2003 Vespa ET4, both of which were stolen from me :( Let's hope I can hang on to my Stella this time around. I have read a few threads about security and will definitely be implementing the suggestions. It's been about 5 years since I've had a scooter and I'm so ready to get back to riding. I've always wanted a Stella and was really stoked when I saw the GB150 on my local Craigslist. She seems to be running fine but I'm sure there are some things I should check out (gear oil, air filter, etc.)
What would you guys recommend for check-up maintenance on a used 2T? She has just under 3500 miles on her.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

With a 2T Stella the good news is there isn't a lot to do.

Use a quality 2T oil.

Put in a fresh plug, NGK is my preferred brand, Buy two and keep the other in the glovebox.

Change the gear oil if it's thin or dirty looking.

Check the air in the spare tire. Maybe rotate the tires to put some wear on the spare.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As well as checking the condition of the tires, I'd suggest looking at the date codes. I change out my tires at 5 years old, regardless of wear. Old rubber can especially be an issue with a used scooter that has been siting in storage for a while.
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

Thanks for tips. I've got a new battery on the way as well as 2T oil and gear oil. I will be picking up some new plugs this weekend and I will also be ordering some white walls very soon. I just put insurance on her today and hopefully get my tags in the morning so I can cruise around this weekend.

as far as the plugs are concerned I've read others who suggest the NGK brand as well. They say to get the B8ES... Is that what you guys would recommend?
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

far as the plugs are concerned I've read others who suggest the NGK brand as well. They say to get the B8ES... Is that what you guys would recommend?
I'd prefer a B7ES. It's not a cold as the 8, but in no way hot like a 5 or 6. Most of my riding is suburban, 30-50 mph.

I'd also buy a Cylinder Head Temp gauge (CHT) to keep an eye on things - they are cheap and easy to install - the sensor is just a ring that fits over the spark plug. DO you know if the PO changed the exhaust and if so if they re-jetted as needed?
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

As far as I know the exhaust is stock. The PO was the original owner and did no custom work except for cosmetic stuff like the seats and some chrome.
I installed a new flasher unit and battery. She starts right up and idles fine.
I took her for a cruise around the parking lot at my shop for an hour or so, working on my shifting skills.... :?

Can I buy the cylinder head temp gauge at most auto parts stores or do I need to order one?

Thanks!
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

This is inexpensive and easy easy to install. It "toggles" back and forth between showing your real-time Head-Temp and the Max Head-Temp of your current trip. The "Max" temp resets when the current head temp drops below @130 degrees - so it always shows the Max of the current trip, not past ones.

TTO Temp Meter - Silver - 14mm Spark Plug Sensor

http://www.trailtech.net/72-et3

Temp. sensor extension lead (24 inch long)

http://www.trailtech.net/temp-sensor-ex ... -inch-long

A stock Stella will usually show a max @ 295F-310F at extended wide open throttle. My CHT saved me when my scoot developed an air leak between the exhaust and the cylinder stub, max temps had shot up 40 degrees. I tightened the exhaust clamp before it got worse, and temps restored back to normal next time out.
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

Thanks for the links. Is the 24" extension long enough? How do you suggest to mount it?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I don't recall what extension I used on mine.

I used the included tape with the Trailtech to mount it above my speedometer. I've seen other people mount them on the top of the glovebox but I wanted it somewhere I'd see it.
Mike Zero

Post by Mike Zero »

JohnKiniston wrote:I don't recall what extension I used on mine.

I used the included tape with the Trailtech to mount it above my speedometer. I've seen other people mount them on the top of the glovebox but I wanted it somewhere I'd see it.
I received my Temp Gauge today and will be installing it this weekend. Thanks again for the tip!
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)