Wheel osillation

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scottramsam

Wheel osillation

Post by scottramsam »

I purchased a new Stella automatic two months ago and as soon as I took it for its first ride I noticed that the back wheel oscillated from side to side. So I decided to exchange the hard India tires with Zippy 1 tires and I also purchased a new split rim so that I would have a spare. My problem is that after this up grade I still notice that the back wheel oscillates side to side and has a little hop in it when rotating on the stand. I would like to know if this is normal with this new vintage style scooter? I also notice that the split rim does not appear to spin very true when rotating on the kick stand, what should I look for to be acceptable run out? Would a tubeless 10" x 3.5" rim help solve this problem?
az_slynch

Re: Wheel osillation

Post by az_slynch »

scottramsam wrote:I purchased a new Stella automatic two months ago and as soon as I took it for its first ride I noticed that the back wheel oscillated from side to side. So I decided to exchange the hard India tires with Zippy 1 tires and I also purchased a new split rim so that I would have a spare. My problem is that after this up grade I still notice that the back wheel oscillates side to side and has a little hop in it when rotating on the stand. I would like to know if this is normal with this new vintage style scooter? I also notice that the split rim does not appear to spin very true when rotating on the kick stand, what should I look for to be acceptable run out? Would a tubeless 10" x 3.5" rim help solve this problem?
Have you tried removing the wheel/tire and checking the brake drum for osciillation?

The "hop"could be caused by an uneven seating of the tire on the rim, or a bit of the tube slipping between the tire and rim, pushing them out of alignment.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Did you try rotating the wheels and see if it still happens? If you can't figure it out, take it back to the dealer.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

I am going to try the origin front tire on the back tomorrow and see if it acts the same while slowly rotating on the stand. Do scooter tires rotate perfectly true or is there a little room for deviation?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

It shouldn't be enough you can just look at it and see it.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Chino's 09 rear wheel and tire did the same thing. Wed ride behind him and watch the thing look wobbly. But riding it seemed fine. No one ever figured out why, though.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

It did it with 2 different wheels/tires.
It's new, I would take it to the dealer and let them
look at it.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

A brand new machine should run true. What you're describing sounds like hub run-out is bad. I'm not sure how that would work on the Auto, but on the 4T there is a big nut and cotter pin used to hold the hub on to the drive shaft. I'd guess the Auto is the same. I've never seen this so hopefully others can chime in. If the big nut loosens up the whole hub can wobble with the tire attached. The cotter pin just keeps the nut from falling off. If you are looking for an at home thing to try, I'd jack up the rear and check the run-out. What I mean is how much the actual rim wobbles. They make a special gauge for this, but you can hold a pencil or pen up to it as a visual reference and give the wheel a spin to visually see how much the rim is deflecting. If you have deflection of the rim, check your hub and nut. If that is all wacky your Dealer needs to help you.

Looks like a lot of issues with the Auto continue to arise. Good luck and keep us posted!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

It will be easy on the autos because the rear wheel sits off the ground when on the stand.
Then he could throttle up and watch it.
Im also wondering if it rides ok?
Can he feel the wobble when riding.
A few of us rode Chino's when his wheel appeard to wobble, but it felt fine..
Which led me to consider that it may have been possible an illusion. With the tire stripes or whatever, tricking the eye.
possible..
Anyways, he switched to chrome rims and white walls and it went away.
but the bike still felt smooth at all speeds before the switch
good luck.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

I brought home my dial indicator and set it up against each side of the rim to find that the runs out side to side around .030 of an inch. After checking both sides I kind of chalked this up to the fact that my rear rim is a Prima replacement rim and the two halves when bolted together do not line up perfectly. One side of the rim has slightly larger holes than the other, so it could be possible that the edge of the rim is not tracking true. The other thing I noticed is that this Prima rim fits a little sloppy on the drive hub of the scooter verses the factory rim that came with the scooter, so this could cause a little bit of the hop. I did reseat the tire with more soapy water and this seemed to help the way it tracks. Are the new tubeless rims a better way to go versus the split rim and I would like to know if the SIP rims from Germany work on a Stella?
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

The 2.10 SIP rims fit great as most of us here will attest. I don't know what tire fitment will work on the AUTO but some 100/90-10 tires will NOT fit the 4T.

I inquired SIP about this and they informed me the correct tire is the 3.50-10. I also have almost zero run out on my 4T. I investigated this in depth after I had some rubbing on my clutch cover. Lots of research found lots of others with this problem. Good luck and don't be afraid to inquire SIP about fitment. They replied to my questions within hours.
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

Went for a ride today and rear wheel feels better. Sometimes when I lean into a turn it feels as if the back tire is trying to roll off the rim, it is comparable to running a tire with low air pressure. I am currently running 30lbs of air in back tire is this what most people use?
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

I try to keep mine around 35, especially since I mostly ride with a passenger. I have noticed when the rear drops below 30 I get a big black streak on the the right side of the tire, I am assuming it is rubbing up against my oil filter, because it looks like it has been polished when I change the oil. That black streak is my biggest annoyance of my Stella.