What are the signs that valves need adjusting?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

What are the signs that valves need adjusting?

Post by schroeder »

How does a scooter let you know that you need to adjust the valves?
Me? I ride for the bugs!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Clicking sound. They should just be checked on a regular basis. Every time I get in there the exhaust valve it tight.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

KrispyKreme wrote:Clicking sound. They should just be checked on a regular basis. Every time I get in there the exhaust valve it tight.
Actually, that's a little counterintuitive. Noisy tappets are usually an indication of too big a gap between the adjuster and the valve. My old 4-cyl Honda used to do this. The rocker smacks against the valve, making more noise. It's possible one side can be too loose and one side too tight, meaning some noise from maybe the intake side and not enough clearance on the exhaust side.

Other folks have reported a performance decrease as a symptom, too, maybe with noise, maybe not. It's a good idea, though, to check the clearance every couple of months. With a STONE COLD engine (no, don't even start it up that day until you do the valves) and the reference mark on the sprocket centered up, you should have .08mm clearance on both tappets. Worth checking every couple-thousand miles or so.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

PeteH wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:Clicking sound. They should just be checked on a regular basis. Every time I get in there the exhaust valve it tight.
Actually, that's a little counterintuitive. Noisy tappets are usually an indication of too big a gap between the adjuster and the valve. My old 4-cyl Honda used to do this. The rocker smacks against the valve, making more noise. It's possible one side can be too loose and one side too tight, meaning some noise from maybe the intake side and not enough clearance on the exhaust side.

Other folks have reported a performance decrease as a symptom, too, maybe with noise, maybe not. It's a good idea, though, to check the clearance every couple of months. With a STONE COLD engine (no, don't even start it up that day until you do the valves) and the reference mark on the sprocket centered up, you should have .08mm clearance on both tappets. Worth checking every couple-thousand miles or so.
Excellent advice from Pete.
Having the valves adjusted just right is best. But too tight is much worse than too loose. Valves should make just a little bit of noise and loose valves make more noise.
Some guys will run 'em a little tight for a performance boost but you run a big risk of hurting the motor with 'em tight.
Adjusting the valves on the Buddy is really very easy. A little tip, pop the spark plug out and it makes it easier to rotate to TDC.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

As someone who has adjusted quite a few. They usually get hard to start. If replacing the sparkplug doesn't bring back its nature to start right up. I would have the valves checked. Easy to do, and a shop shouldn't charge too much.
As others have said, you will need to leave the bike overnight so its stone cold the next day.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?