Locking Up My Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JonesHotRock

Locking Up My Buddy

Post by JonesHotRock »

I am the proud new owner of a Buddy 125 and I live in an apartment building with no garage :( .

What is the best way to lock my buddy up other than the disc brake lock that kryptonite makes (I have one of those already but, it just doesn't make the scooter look like it's locked up tight enough to scare away thieves).

Thanks!!!!!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If you mean Oakland, CA, I'm afraid it's days may be numbered unless it's garaged.

Buy some recessed pan fittings and chip out some pavement or concrete and anchor them with concrete fasteners and concrete epoxy. Then buy a heavy duty hardened chain and the biggest baddest lock you can find. Use the chain and lock through the frame. Also buy a disc alarm.

Then keep your fingers crossed and sleep with one eye open.
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

There are some great locks and chains that don't have links that are harder to cut through. Also, does your disc lock have an alarm? The screechy ones tend to dissuade people more than the simply locking variety.
JonesHotRock

Post by JonesHotRock »

Update:

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and bought some nice thick cable wire and attached it to the 4x4 on my fence that is cemented into the ground. Got myself thick MasterLock and have my scooter pad locked to the fence next to my gf's car.

If you're like me and looking for an efficient way to lock up your Buddy, go to the hardware store and they can definitely help you with a permanent mount for your scooter!

Also, thanks for the responses!!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

JonesHotRock wrote:Update:

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and bought some nice thick cable wire and attached it to the 4x4 on my fence that is cemented into the ground. Got myself thick MasterLock and have my scooter pad locked to the fence next to my gf's car.

If you're like me and looking for an efficient way to lock up your Buddy, go to the hardware store and they can definitely help you with a permanent mount for your scooter!

Also, thanks for the responses!!

If you live on the first floor I would roll that sucker right in the apartment. I'm being serious. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing the best you can.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Second to the rolling in the apartment recommendation!

Usually both scooters are in my storage unit, but for riding season I keep at least one at my apartment.

I have my little C3 tethered to my car via a thick 15' cable and highly tamper-proof, heavy duty Masterlock.

I ran the cabling through the car's wheel well and looped it through the rear wheel of the scooter.

The scooter is covered in a black cover and actually looks motorcycle size.

Parked right up against the car it is kind of "not noticeable" at night in the dark. At least I'm hoping.

They'd have a tough time taking it, but then I also have insurance to cover theft.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
morganology

Post by morganology »

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller.

I bought my 2009 Buddy150 Italia a few days ago and am so excited to ride it after I've cleaned it up a little. However, I'm running into the same issue as the author of this thread -- what to do about securing it?

The sitch: I live in a relatively safe/crime-free neighborhood on the westside of Los Angeles. But still, I live in an apartment, where the scooter will be parked in a gate-free carport. Right now, I have it parked in front of my car, but I'm hoping that I can buy something that will attach it to the large pillar to the left of my car.

What's the best kind of locking situation/securing for me? Any links would be highly appreciated! :)

Thanks so much!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The cheapest secure lock you can get is the Kryptonite EVO chain. Don't cheap out, you'll instantly regret it when you walk out to no scooter and your Home Depot chain lying on the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Evolut ... B007ZU498M
morganology

Post by morganology »

Thank you so much! And this chain will fit through the back wheel of my scooter?

Definitely not interested in cheaping out, and don't need to! :) Thank you!
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

morganology wrote:Thank you so much! And this chain will fit through the back wheel of my scooter?

Definitely not interested in cheaping out, and don't need to! :) Thank you!
It may not fit through the rear wheel (the rims on the higher engine sized Buddys are different than that of a 50s), but I put mine around the shock. Yes, still technically removable, but then again so is the back wheel if you want it badly enough!
paracer

Post by paracer »

A cover will help as well. Out of sight, out of mind.

I will be picking up my 125 in a couple weeks and will be storing it outside in downtown Harrisburg, PA. My security plan is my OnGuard chain, Kryptonite lock, and cover. I will be locking my scoot up to the gas line coming into my building. The easy way to take the scooter will be to cut the gas line, but that presents its own challenges.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

paracer wrote:A cover will help as well. Out of sight, out of mind.

I will be picking up my 125 in a couple weeks and will be storing it outside in downtown Harrisburg, PA. My security plan is my OnGuard chain, Kryptonite lock, and cover. I will be locking my scoot up to the gas line coming into my building. The easy way to take the scooter will be to cut the gas line, but that presents its own challenges.
Be careful with that gas line-most apartment buildings will not allow items to be locked/attached to it due to safety issues.
paracer

Post by paracer »

I have thought about that and I have a backup plan. :)
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

paracer wrote:I have thought about that and I have a backup plan. :)
Excellent. :) Congrats on your new ride! I have a 125 and I LOVE it.