Possibly the first reinforced Buddy frame

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

avescoots1134

Possibly the first reinforced Buddy frame

Post by avescoots1134 »

And it begins, again!

I've been playing with a Buddy 125 theft recovery for a while, with the plan of it going to my better half. The poor guy was completely trashed, missing body panels, a slightly tweaked frame and a bent fork leg.

After an overhaul I started riding it. I forgot how buttery the frames are on 10'' wheels! Unsatisfied, I tore it back down and planned on starting with a new frame. Alas, Genuine is fresh out. Then came plan b - welding in a frame brace or "drag brace" if you're from Thailand. I'm pretty excited to feel the difference this makes with NCY forks and balanced wheels. Stay tuned!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

"I've been playing with a Buddy 125 theft recovery for a while, with the plan of it going to my better half. The poor guy was completely trashed, missing body panels, a slightly tweaked frame and a bent fork leg."

For a moment, I thought you were referring to your better half...

Sounds like a cool project. So you're basically triangulating the frame to make it stiffer. Gonna lose the "step-through" feature though, if it matters to you. Keep us updated on your results. Would love to see the what kind of difference it makes.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Are you going to do anything about twist?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Cool. I'll be watching this build.
Someone on here put on a shock absorber frame brace on a Buddy, sort of like the Italjet has. I searched a bit but couldn't find the thread.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Test ride went very well. The best improvement so far is high speed braking. Now for some paint work on the panels and reassembly to see how she really performs.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The end result. I like it!

*NCY forks
*Riot! edition rear shock
*Pirelli tires
*Blackout kit
*Custom welded-in frame brace
*Front wave brake rotor
*Fender eliminator
*Completely emissions deleted including a Buddy 50 fuel tank
*Bar end mirrors
*Oury grips
*Euro turn signal converted
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sweet! And you still have use of the floorboard for pizza and other important stuff. Is that Jeremy Clarkson on the hind quarters?:) He got sacked by the BBC from Top Gear recently. Sad.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Very clean indeed. R
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Nice choice of colors.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

NOLA doing it right! Sweet. It looks like a racer for sure.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

babblefish wrote:Sweet! And you still have use of the floorboard for pizza and other important stuff. Is that Jeremy Clarkson on the hind quarters?:) He got sacked by the BBC from Top Gear recently. Sad.

Meh. Actions can have consequences. Being a dick can come back to bite you on the ass. Ask me how I know. 8)
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

What happened with the rest of the black out kit?

Headlamp bezel - check

Left and right rear turn signal bezels - check

Speedo bezel - ?

Windshield panel - ?

Left and right passenger footrests - ?

Exhaust shield - ?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

avescoots1134 wrote:The end result. I like it!

First, let me say, Congratulations! That is awesome. Thank you for posting that.

As a second thought, I wonder if it might be possible to design a way to make that crossbrace pivot so the scooter could still be a step-through. If all the forces are transmitted longitudinally, a metal bushing at the pivot end would be okay, and the only thing you'd have to figure out is a strong latch mechanism for the swinging end. Maybe a bushing similar to the pivot end could be machined to receive a post and trigger a capture mechanism to hold the swinging end captive when it closes?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jrsjr wrote:
avescoots1134 wrote:The end result. I like it!

First, let me say, Congratulations! That is awesome. Thank you for posting that.

As a second thought, I wonder if it might be possible to design a way to make that crossbrace pivot so the scooter could still be a step-through. If all the forces are transmitted longitudinally, a metal bushing at the pivot end would be okay, and the only thing you'd have to figure out is a strong latch mechanism for the swinging end. Maybe a bushing similar to the pivot end could be machined to receive a post and trigger a capture mechanism to hold the swinging end captive when it closes?
The brace could have attachable connections on both ends and be totally removable. It MIGHT fit in the pet carrier.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Snap or lock pins could be used.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

MYSCTR wrote:What happened with the rest of the black out kit?

Headlamp bezel - check

Left and right rear turn signal bezels - check

Speedo bezel - ?

Windshield panel - ?

Left and right passenger footrests - ?

Exhaust shield - ?
I only used a few items I had found in a junk box. I didn't want a cookie cutter buddy anyhoo!
Syd

Post by Syd »

KrispyKreme wrote:
babblefish wrote:Sweet! And you still have use of the floorboard for pizza and other important stuff. Is that Jeremy Clarkson on the hind quarters?:) He got sacked by the BBC from Top Gear recently. Sad.

Meh. Actions can have consequences. Being a dick can come back to bite you on the ass. Ask me how I know. 8)
:rofl:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:

frak you! :lol: Didn't look at it like that. If you can tell what my MV name is, you win the race.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

KrispyKreme wrote:
Syd wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:

frak you! :lol: Didn't look at it like that. If you can tell what my MV name is, you win the race.
*gives the wheel a spin*

T please, Vanna?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

az_slynch wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
Syd wrote: :rofl:

*gives the wheel a spin*

T please, Vanna?
And I'll take an R. :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

:cry:

Nice job.
Last edited by KrispyKreme on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:
az_slynch wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
*gives the wheel a spin*

T please, Vanna?
And I'll take an R. :lol:
Time to buy a vowel?
Attachments
kitties_we_cant_stop_here_this_is_bat_country.jpg
kitties_we_cant_stop_here_this_is_bat_country.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Attachments
BrtgsVJCIAA3otN.jpg
BrtgsVJCIAA3otN.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

So how is that extra support working on the rough streets of NOLA?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just for general knowledge, similar bracing is commonly used in scooter racing. In this race in Taiwan, notice the scooters in first and second place. FWIW, the majority of the scooters in the race are Yamaha Cygnus, which unfortunately, we don't get here in the the US. I rode a Yamaha 125 scooter back in the 90's when I was working/living there. It was a 2-stroke and was fast and handled great. I wanted to import one back to the states and a person at the DMV actually told me how to do it legally, but regretfully, didn't get around to actually doing it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vgqufgiJ1jQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>