Are there any truly waterproof seat covers?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

drinkingthestars

Are there any truly waterproof seat covers?

Post by drinkingthestars »

I had a custom leather seat made for my Italia 150. The only way I've found to keep it dry during rainy periods is to cover the seat and then put a fitted cover over the entire bike. I'd like to find a truly waterproof seat cover that I could use during brief rainstorms so that I don't have to go to the trouble to protect the whole scooter. The Prima cover doesn't work, not does another type of seat cover that I ordered from Great Britain, though it was advertised as waterproof.

Any leads on a seat cover that's really waterproof?
Witch

Post by Witch »

I got a waterproof seat cover made by Pirate Upholstery to fit over my GTV's leather seat. I've used it for a few years now, and not only is it actually waterproof (unlike the stock cover), it has also outlasted the stock cover (which became see-through in under a year). They can make several different colors, too. Mine is waterproof in all but the worst downpours (when you really can't ride safely anyway). And by "worst downpour" I'm talking the kind of rain that you can easily mistake for having hailstones in it, because it freaking hurts just to stand outside in it.

And just for future reference, a little bit of water won't harm your leather seat. A lot of water, or frequent contact with it, will. The few times it has rained hard enough to penetrate my Pirate Upholstery seat cover, I've simply wiped the water off the seat with a soft cloth when I got home, and everything was fine. My seat still looks brand new. It also helps to put a good leather cream on it once or twice a year.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Have you looked at the CoolAss, or one of the other shade covers. I believe the metallic mylar or whatever they use for reflectivity is pretty darned waterproof as well.
Witch

Post by Witch »

The Cool Ass covers are great, from what I hear.

But you can't ride with them on. If you do sometimes ride in the rain like I do, Pirate is the way to go.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Witch wrote:The Cool Ass covers are great, from what I hear. But you can't ride with them on. If you do sometimes ride in the rain like I do, Pirate is the way to go.
I don't think the OP was riding with a full cover over his bike either - unless he cut eye holes in it :wink: .
drinkingthestars

Thanks!

Post by drinkingthestars »

I'm familiar with Pirate and I will check out CoolAss. I'm don't usually ride with the seat cover on. I'm more concerned with protecting it when it's parked. And my seat has gotten wet quite a bit and generally it dries out fine, but getting it repeatedly soaked can't be good for it. Thanks so much!
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

You might also look at backpack rain covers (i.e. from REI.com).
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i just carry a trash bag with me . . . hasn't failed me yet!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Me, too, Sunshine.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

These folks have some waterproof covers...
http://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php? ... cPath=1_12
Scooting is good for the soul....

viney266

Post by viney266 »

Check with Cheeky seats as well. They have WAY more than is on their website. They make waterproof stuff. If you don't see it, call or email. They are great to deal with ( and no, I don't work for them ) :P
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

viney266 wrote:Check with Cheeky seats as well. They have WAY more than is on their website. They make waterproof stuff. If you don't see it, call or email. They are great to deal with ( and no, I don't work for them ) :P
+1! The link I posted is Cheeky Seats. I agree with Viney...fantastic to deal with and I don't work for them either!
Scooting is good for the soul....

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scubadoobie wrote:
viney266 wrote:Check with Cheeky seats as well. They have WAY more than is on their website. They make waterproof stuff. If you don't see it, call or email. They are great to deal with ( and no, I don't work for them ) :P
+1! The link I posted is Cheeky Seats. I agree with Viney...fantastic to deal with and I don't work for them either!
I got to meet the Cheeky folks at Amerivespa. We've been emailing for some time and they run a banner here on MB. Really great folks, super friendly and their products are great! As I've posted elsewhere, first one I saw in person, I thought it was a full upholstery job, not a slip-on cover.

We're going to have a Cheeky Seat contest on MB soon. Stay tuned.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

ericalm wrote:
scubadoobie wrote:
I got to meet the Cheeky folks at Amerivespa. We've been emailing for some time and they run a banner here on MB. Really great folks, super friendly and their products are great! As I've posted elsewhere, first one I saw in person, I thought it was a full upholstery job, not a slip-on cover.

Oh yeah. I'm in for that.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
viney266

Post by viney266 »

ericalm wrote:
^^^ That could be fun...I've seen a couple of good ones.
Brian Herwick - CoolAss

CoolAss Cover

Post by Brian Herwick - CoolAss »

Hi Folks - yes the CoolAss cover is waterproof and very heat resistant. And - thanks to so many of you Genuine Scooter enthusiasts, we responded with a size that's perfect for Stella, Buddy and Roughhouse. We just launched a new website that talks about it www.genuinecoolass.com - look at Scooter Seat Covers, size DS-M.

Many thanks to all for your input and enthusiastic support.

Be safe,

Brian
CoolAss
Brian Herwick - CoolAss

CoolAss BOGO Promotion

Hello all:

Check out the CoolAss BOGO promotion going on now! Save your butt and your seat - and do the same for a fellow rider at half-price!

Genuine CoolAss Seat Covers for Scooters

Best,

Brian
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Wow. 3 years. It's like archeology.

Just as an update, my Tiki seat cover from Cheeky Seats still looks great after 3 years of abuse.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Stitch wrote:Wow. 3 years. It's like archeology.

Just as an update, my Tiki seat cover from Cheeky Seats still looks great after 3 years of abuse.
No shit....3 years gone...I miss black sunshine. I hope he is doing well.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Q: Any leads on a seat cover that's really waterproof?

A: A garage.

Just keepin' it light. No offense.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

scubadoobie wrote:
We have gotten several seat covers from Cheeky Seats and can say they will help you with this and make your buddy look good too! My faux croc seatcover gets attention everywhere we go. The hardest part will be dialing in which ONE to buy. Good Luck!
Brian Herwick - CoolAss

CoolAss Seat Covers - Waterproof

drinkingthestars wrote:I had a custom leather seat made for my Italia 150. The only way I've found to keep it dry during rainy periods is to cover the seat and then put a fitted cover over the entire bike. I'd like to find a truly waterproof seat cover that I could use during brief rainstorms so that I don't have to go to the trouble to protect the whole scooter. The Prima cover doesn't work, not does another type of seat cover that I ordered from Great Britain, though it was advertised as waterproof.

Hello all:

For those still wondering about truly waterproof seat covers - CoolAss covers are not only waterproof, but heat-reflective, UV-proof and 100% guaranteed. And they're presently priced at BIG DISCOUNTS in conjunction with our 10-Year Anniversary.

Best,

Brian

Genuine CoolAss 10-Year Anniversary
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

A necropost of a necropost of a necropost! That must be some kind of record...
az_slynch

Re: CoolAss Seat Covers - Waterproof

Post by az_slynch »

Brian Herwick - CoolAss wrote: Hello all:

For those still wondering about truly waterproof seat covers - CoolAss covers are not only waterproof, but heat-reflective, UV-proof and 100% guaranteed. And they're presently priced at BIG DISCOUNTS in conjunction with our 10-Year Anniversary.

Best,

Brian

Brian,

Thank you for the discount code. I bought one for my Stella and one for my Yager 200i. I'll give them a workout this winter and see how they hold up.

jrsjr wrote:A necropost of a necropost of a necropost! That must be some kind of record...
There are at least nine lives in a cat. Maybe this thread will give them a run for their money. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
az_slynch

Re: CoolAss Seat Covers - Waterproof

Post by az_slynch »

az_slynch wrote:
Brian Herwick - CoolAss wrote: Hello all:

Best,

Brian

Brian,

Thank you for the discount code. I bought one for my Stella and one for my Yager 200i. I'll give them a workout this winter and see how they hold up.

jrsjr wrote:A necropost of a necropost of a necropost! That must be some kind of record...
There are at least nine lives in a cat. Maybe this thread will give them a run for their money. :wink:
Just a quick update: Been using the Large one on my Kymco, but it's definitely a snug fit. It's kept the seat dry to date and has made a noticable difference in seat temp in the summer.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I hate to admit it, since I complained in a prior post, but I finally bought a CoolAss cover again. The current generation is very nice! I also put 2 metal eyelets on each side so I can run a bungee cord and shut the seat, preventing blow aways and theft. So, no more trash bag for me.
skipper20

Re: Are there any truly waterproof seat covers?

Post by skipper20 »

drinkingthestars wrote:I had a custom leather seat made for my Italia 150. The only way I've found to keep it dry during rainy periods is to cover the seat and then put a fitted cover over the entire bike. I'd like to find a truly waterproof seat cover that I could use during brief rainstorms so that I don't have to go to the trouble to protect the whole scooter. The Prima cover doesn't work, not does another type of seat cover that I ordered from Great Britain, though it was advertised as waterproof.

The Cool Ass should work. I have one for my Hooligan. I also had a Prima which I used on my Buddy Italia 170i before I sold it and bought the Hooligan. It held up very nicely during an off and on rainy day last November when I went hiking with friends in Tucson. So, I'm not sure why you are saying that the Prima doesn't work. For me, it worked fine.

Bill in Seattle
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Cheeky seats just came out with a waterproof cover this summer just for the Hooligan. One of the guys at the shop has one. I will post back on how well it works. So far, so good; like all of their stuff it fit well and seems to be put together right.