Front Running Lights on My Hooligan

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elder Scoot

Front Running Lights on My Hooligan

Post by Elder Scoot »

One of the guys in my club who also owns a Hooligan bought a few front turn signal light kits online from Taiwan that fit the Hooligan. We wired the lights to remain on to serve as driving lights. They're bright and good looking. He's being secretive about the source but it is not PGO.
Attachments
Hooligan.JPG
Hooligan.JPG (117.6 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I've never understood why they don't leave them wired up along with the dot blinkers for the US market. Like the buddy, the bulbs are still in there and more visibility is better, right? I installed a BOB adapter on my GF's buddy and having the running lights plus extra blinker looks pretty rad.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

sweet, i KNEW someone would do this. I thought of it first time I saw a hooligan.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Looks good. I bought a kit to do this on my Buddy.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Idaho Scoot

Post by Idaho Scoot »

Did you need to cut the holes for the lights or do those housing sections pop off somehow?
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Dude if you can send me some please do I've been searching everywhere for the stock signals
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Idaho Scoot

Post by Idaho Scoot »

Also, are those LED lights?
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Idaho Scoot wrote:Did you need to cut the holes for the lights or do those housing sections pop off somehow?
No, the "plug" pieces come right off with two screws. Very easy to do.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Idaho Scoot wrote:Also, are those LED lights?
Yes, they are LED lights.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Here's one source. The LEDS seems to be an OEM PGO part. Seems to be little pricey ($61.00 for the set), but not too bad if delivery is free as claimed on the website.

http://www.exportstrength.com/product_i ... i8amo8cp45

http://www.exportstrength.com/product_i ... cts_id=699
Idaho Scoot

Post by Idaho Scoot »

Thanks for posting this. Your lights look outstanding. I plan to buy a Hooligan next month and it will be my first Scooter. I hope to do this as well.
MrIcky

Post by MrIcky »

Thanks for posting this, something to seriously consider for mine.
Idaho Scoot

Re: Front Running Lights on My Hooligan

Post by Idaho Scoot »

Elder Scoot wrote:One of the guys in my club who also owns a Hooligan bought a few front turn signal light kits online from Taiwan that fit the Hooligan. We wired the lights to remain on to serve as driving lights. They're bright and good looking. He's being secretive about the source but it is not PGO.
Your friend purchased a "few" of these kits? Is he in the market to sell a set? Are the lights white in color when lit, or are they amber in color? I have been scouring the internet for white lights but I have not been successful. I checked with my scooter shop and they don't have anything available. I think your bike looks more "complete" with those lights.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Idaho Scoot wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote:One of the guys in my club who also owns a Hooligan bought a few front turn signal light kits online from Taiwan that fit the Hooligan. We wired the lights to remain on to serve as driving lights. They're bright and good looking. He's being secretive about the source but it is not PGO.
Your friend purchased a "few" of these kits? Is he in the market to sell a set? Are the lights white in color when lit, or are they amber in color? I have been scouring the internet for white lights but I have not been successful. I checked with my scooter shop and they don't have anything available. I think your bike looks more "complete" with those lights.
He's sold out - but I think the link posted earlier might be for the source from which he bought the lights.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Idaho Scoot wrote:
There is one set available - send me a PM and I'll give you his information.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Is the wiring fairly straightforward? And how does one get to the back of the units to remove the blanks and install the lights?

I like the look and idea of the lights .

The blanks look a bit dopey.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Raputtak wrote:Is the wiring fairly straightforward? And how does one get to the back of the units to remove the blanks and install the lights?

I like the look and idea of the lights .

The blanks look a bit dopey.
The front removes with six screws - very easy. My friend did the wiring as I've been known to short out a flashlight.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Ordered a pair today. Watch this space.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Rap, if you do the wiring, please share how to do so.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Idaho Scoot

Post by Idaho Scoot »

theemptythrone wrote:Rap, if you do the wiring, please share how to do so.
Agreed. I am also very interested in how to do this. I am thinking an additional harness may be needed. Let us know if you are successfull
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Raputtak wrote:Ordered a pair today. Watch this space.
Installed the lights today.

Mechanically it was easy. Seven screws remove the front panel, unplug the headlight connector and lay it on the bench.

Installing the light - easy peasy. As stated above the blanks are held in with two screws and the lights (from PGO) take their place.

The wiring was a little tricky. The new lights came with a two-pin connector but there was nowhere to stick it (in the nicest possible way). I clipped off the connectors, extended the length of one of the wires to give me some slack to work with. I then joined the black wires together and the dark green wires together and joined them both to another length of wire. As the lights are LED and probably do not pull much current I had no qualms about twisting the bare wires together and holding them with a drop of solder. (This is usually frowned upon :evil: as heat might melt the solder). So far I had not done anything irreversible to the scooter as it is still under warranty. I chose not to cut the extant wiring to splice in the new wire so I twisted it around the brass connector and held it with a drop of solder.

Note that I used a small implement to bend the clip in order to remover the prong from the plastic housing. Oh, and I chose the black wire for the ground/earth and the dark green one for the hot side. The dark green wire seemed to go to the small bulb inside the headlamp housing.

I put the front back on the vehicle and started it up.

The whole thing exploded and blew the roof off my garage :lol: :lol: :lol: only kidding! The lights came on and looked cool. They are clear when off and amber when on.

Any questions?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Those lights look great, but I think I would wire them up as intended by PGO, as turn signals. I'd get rid of the awkward pods put on by US legislation and plug the OEM turn signals into the harness. At least that's what I'd do, if I had a Hooligan/X-Hot/Libre :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

I could not figure out where the turn signal wires were. Somewhere in the headset, I think.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Raputtak wrote:I could not figure out where the turn signal wires were. Somewhere in the headset, I think.
They are plugged into the harness in place of the pod style turn signals hanging off the bottom of the handlebars. The rest of the world (as far as I know) doesn't use those and has the turn signals where PGO put them, on the either side of the headlight.

I personally like the X-Hot dash.
Attachments
pgo-xhot-150-efi-8a.jpg
pgo-xhot-150-efi-8a.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
X-Hot dash
X-Hot dash
xhotdash.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.