Advice on starting my buddy that hasnt been started in years

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Twentyfourskys

Advice on starting my buddy that hasnt been started in years

Post by Twentyfourskys »

MB please dont be too hard on me, watching my baby sit so long was punishment enough. Long story short my Buddy hasnt been started in 4-5 years (marriage/kids and all that got in the way). It had very little fuel in it when I stored it. It has been stored in a storage garage 99% of the time. I have lost the keys since then. So I am in the process of getting a new ignition switch. I am curious as to what I should do before even attempting to start it.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Read the manual as if it was new plus see notes below:

http://www.genuinescooters.com/owners_m ... manual.pdf

My guess the worst thing the gas is going to be bad and needs drained meaning maybe a full carb rebuild too to be safe.

Other than that, the basics; battery will probably need replaced, check the tires not just for air, yet look for aging cracks, of course once you do turn it over and let it idle a few minutes, stop and change the motor oil and gear oil.

Once running with new fluids, let it idle 5 minutes, cool off a few minutes, check fluids to be sure they are topped off properly, then take a few very easy rides just to be sure everything is working ok.

Or take it to your dealer. 8)
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

MYSCTR wrote:Read the manual as if it was new plus see notes below:

http://www.genuinescooters.com/owners_m ... manual.pdf

My guess the worst thing the gas is going to be bad and needs drained meaning maybe a full carb rebuild too to be safe.

Other than that, the basics; battery will probably need replaced, check the tires not just for air, yet look for aging cracks, of course once you do turn it over and let it idle a few minutes, stop and change the motor oil and gear oil.

Once running with new fluids, let it idle 5 minutes, cool off a few minutes, check fluids to be sure they are topped off properly, then take a few very easy rides just to be sure everything is working ok.

Or take it to your dealer. 8)
Awesome thanks so much!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

MYSCTR wrote:Or take it to your dealer.
^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^

Presuming you have limited experience working with small engines, I'd take the bike in to your dealer and have them get it going for you. Tell them to change all the fluids, clean the carb, replace the fuel, replace the battery, and check out other systems such as the brakes, lights, and cooling, to be sure everything is functioning as intended. I'd guess it is about time to start thinking about tires as well.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Also don't forget to change out that brake fluid for the front disc. It's about 3+ years expired.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Dooglas wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:Or take it to your dealer.
^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^

Presuming you have limited experience working with small engines, I'd take the bike in to your dealer and have them get it going for you. Tell them to change all the fluids, clean the carb, replace the fuel, replace the battery, and check out other systems such as the brakes, lights, and cooling, to be sure everything is functioning as intended. I'd guess it is about time to start thinking about tires as well.
OR knowing that many people with zero prior mechanical experience learn and do almost all the work themselves ...just go for it yourself. Read the how-to's on those things, and check back in if you need help.

I'd drain the gas, add seafoam to some new gas, shake it around and let it sit... That worked wonders for me after several months of sitting.
Scooter Commuter