1.5 hours labor to swap tires???

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

andrewhcushman

1.5 hours labor to swap tires???

Post by andrewhcushman »

Recently took in my Stella 4T to swap out the cracked whitewalls for Michelin S1 tires. Was blown away when I came back and they charged me for 1.5 hours of labor (at $105/hr) to do this. Was I had, or is that reasonable for a job well done?

They also changed the oil, but told me their was no paper oil filter on the bike, only the metal screen, which I'm now almost %100 sure is false after reading through posts here. The bike is new to me.

If I go back and swap the paper filter myself, does this require draining and re-filling the oil?

thanks for responding!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

andrewhcushman wrote:They also changed the oil, but told me their was no paper oil filter on the bike, only the metal screen, which I'm now almost %100 sure is false after reading through posts here. The bike is new to me. If I go back and swap the paper filter myself, does this require draining and re-filling the oil?
Well, of course there is an oil filter on the scooter. Good grief, who was this miserable excuse for a dealer who did not know this? You will lose much of your oil when you change this filter even if you don't drain the oil. So, yes, plan on refilling the oil after you change the filter.

http://www.scooterworks.com/oil-filter- ... RY_dmdFCpo
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

I am assuming the tires were tubed, if they were that is ridiculous.
andrewhcushman

Post by andrewhcushman »

srbbnd wrote:I am assuming the tires were tubed, if they were that is ridiculous.
They were just swapping out the tires, front and rear. both old and new tires use tubes, so they removed the tubes from the old tires and put them in the new tires.....I'm confused - why do tubeless take longer?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

andrewhcushman wrote:They were just swapping out the tires, front and rear. both old and new tires use tubes, so they removed the tubes from the old tires and put them in the new tires
They reused the old tubes when they changed your tires???
andrewhcushman

Post by andrewhcushman »

Dooglas wrote:
andrewhcushman wrote:They were just swapping out the tires, front and rear. both old and new tires use tubes, so they removed the tubes from the old tires and put them in the new tires
They reused the old tubes when they changed your tires???
Yup, told me so too. Rockridge Two-Wheels in Oakland, CA. High-end Aprilia and Vespa dealership
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

You got ripped off. And they're stupid. I am so glad I have an honest and knowledgeable dealer.
It seems you didn't read you owner's manual. You definitely should.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

andrewhcushman wrote:Yup, told me so too. Rockridge Two-Wheels in Oakland, CA. High-end Aprilia and Vespa dealership
A quick look at the Genuine site does not show them as a Genuine dealer - did you ask them if they had the correct parts to do the job? This may be a "perfect storm" where they knew even less about the mechanical requirements of your scooter than you (we always hope the dealer/tech knows more :wink: ). Do you have a complete set of manuals for your scooter? Your best defense is to look things up in advance. Here is a source for 4T manuals -
http://iheartstella.com/resources/
andrewhcushman

Post by andrewhcushman »

Dooglas wrote:
andrewhcushman wrote:Yup, told me so too. Rockridge Two-Wheels in Oakland, CA. High-end Aprilia and Vespa dealership
A quick look at the Genuine site does not show them as a Genuine dealer - did you ask them if they had the correct parts to do the job? This may be a "perfect storm" where they knew even less about the mechanical requirements of your scooter than you (we always hope the dealer/tech knows more :wink: ). Do you have a complete set of manuals for your scooter? Your best defense is to look things up in advance. Here is a source for 4T manuals -
http://iheartstella.com/resources/
Thanks Dooglas. Yeah, the whole "your bike doesn't have a filter, just a screen" statement doesn't make any sense to me because 4 stroke Vespas would have a disposable paper filter too, right? I didn't take it to the dealer because they are in SF, and I didn't want to drive the Stella over the Bay Bridge and back (scary). Figured a reputable Vespa shop could handle it. lesson learned I guess. It's probably not even worth my time to go back and make them change the filter since I plan on changing the oil myself from now on anyways.
andrewhcushman

Post by andrewhcushman »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:You got ripped off. And they're stupid. I am so glad I have an honest and knowledgeable dealer.
It seems you didn't read you owner's manual. You definitely should.

Have you ever swapped your own tires? How long did it take? Specifically which piece of info in the owner's manual are you referring to? (I read it).
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

The split rims making changing tubed tires pretty easy. I turn the gas off, and usually try to do it when there is a low tank. I lay down a blanket in some grass and turn my scooter over where the kickstart is. Then you just unscrew your tires and remove. I then deflate the tubes so there is no pressure against the walls and separate the split rims. Install new tires/tubes. Takes less than a hour.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Well ..... 1.5 hours may be in line, it depends if there was any corrosion that needed to be cleaned and treated, or some other complication. For changing 2 tires and oil that isn't too far off considering some of the situations (rim rust, broken studs, etc.) that can be encountered, especially if they understood the rims had to be split and tires removed while keeping the tubes undamaged and reused.

Did you tell them to keep the old tubes and to not change the filter? Are you sure there's not some sort of misunderstanding with either 1) what they understood you wanted or 2) what they said was actually done?

I donno, but before dealer bashing and their name smeared, might want to talk with them again and make sure all the specifics are clearly known. Just my thinking. Then let the chips fall as they will after details verified.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

1.5hrs is a slightly high but acceptable quote for a dual tire change, but re-using old tubes is a no-no. Their labor rate is high which makes it sting.
andrewhcushman

Thanks for your replies everyone

Post by andrewhcushman »

Glad I found this group of Stella enthusiasts!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I never changed scoot tires before, and did my own last summer. 1.5 hours sounds high to me based on my experience.

As others have said, yes, there is a paper filter in addition to the screen, it is on the other side of the motor. I have changed it myself. It is not difficult to do.

As for the tubes, re-using tubes is a safety hazard.

Whoever you took it to lacks the proper know how to work on your scooter. That would scare me.

I have learned how to do my own maintenance, with some help from the gang here at MB. If possible, I would suggest learning to do your own basic work.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Ive changed tires before on 08, 09, and now my 81 vespa.. all split rims and tubes..
when i first did it, it was a mug. one side off the rim always comes off easily.. the short side.
the deeper side always gets stuck.
and without proper equipment. . Its a drag.
i pinched 2 tubes flat too tryng to get the technique down.
for a beginner like me, it took me at least 1.5 hours.
Now.. it may take me shorter, IF the deep rim half isnt glued to the rim.
id say.. next time... change your own tires. ..or a friend's tires. .
write back and tell us how you did.
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics