How to sell a high-mileage scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

How to sell a high-mileage scooter?

Post by Tocsik »

When I bought my motorcycle, I wanted to keep my scooter for several reasons.
I like it.
It has sentimental value.
It's pretty cheap to keep it in terms of registration and insurance.
I figured it would be pretty hard to sell a scooter with 40K miles.

But I'm just not riding her and really need the room in my garage :?
We've been through a lot of miles together and she's always performed excellent but I think it's time to let her go.

Even though she's always been garaged (both at home and at work), she still has 40K miles so I'm just not sure anyone would give her a new home.

Any ideas? I would love it if Genuine would buy her and display in their showroom along with Bone Girl's Buddy! :lol:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Well, I might consider it, but that's because I know you!

They're seriously tough scoots. What's sad is you never get the value out of them. At least you did!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Of course you can sell it as long as it is in good running condition. You just need to be reasonable about value. Even a lower mileage Buddy of that vintage does not demand a very high price on the market.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Find someone who has a real need for transportation and make them an unbelievable deal knowing it will be put to very good use and help someone rather than just be a toy for someone who may not even ride it.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I sold my 08 Buddy 125 cheap to a friend because I knew it was going to a good home. It had around 30,000miles but sill looked good and was never wreaked. If I recall it was $400 or $500 (had new tires and transmission overhaul done). Its still going strong and gets ridden a lot. When it came time to get rid of a Qlink I donated it to a thrift store and took the tax write off. I have been stung when I have GIVEN stuff away for free, like bicycles, because all the person will do is sell it and tell you it got stolen. Even if you give them a old lock with it! So sell cheap to good home and provide someone with affordable transpo or donate to thrift store.
jd

Post by jd »

sc00ter wrote:I sold my 08 Buddy 125 cheap to a friend because I knew it was going to a good home. It had around 30,000miles but sill looked good and was never wreaked. If I recall it was $400 or $500 (had new tires and transmission overhaul done). Its still going strong and gets ridden a lot. When it came time to get rid of a Qlink I donated it to a thrift store and took the tax write off. I have been stung when I have GIVEN stuff away for free, like bicycles, because all the person will do is sell it and tell you it got stolen. Even if you give them a old lock with it! So sell cheap to good home and provide someone with affordable transpo or donate to thrift store.
Why do you say you "have been stung" when someone else sells a bike and tells you it was stolen? What impact does that have on you? Does that person expect you to replace it?

Or is it because the other person made some money on it when you didn't? When you give a bike to someone for free, it becomes his property. Did it come with conditions that he keep it until it dropped dead?

What am I missing here?
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The guy next door hinted at needing a bicycle so he could get to work. I had a old mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock Deore group) that I was going to donate to the thrift store, but decided to help him out, along with a old lock. I live in da 'hood and anything is better than walking (get panhandled) or the city bus (smells nasty inside). I work different hours than him so I never see him, but his 8 year old son tells me that his "Dad made some fast cash selling that mountain bike!". Turns out he bought weed with the $30-or "fast cash"-as I later found out. He didn't know his son snitched, but I asked him what happened to the bike when I saw him walking, and he told me it got stolen at work. Yes, I gave it to him for free. I didn't need the money. But to buy weed? I hate bums. So everything just goes to the thrift store now. The last thing a bum needs is booze or drugs. Also, he does not work at the moment, because he has no transportation. YOU want to give him a free bicycle?
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

sc00ter wrote:The guy next door hinted at needing a bicycle so he could get to work. I had a old mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock Deore group) that I was going to donate to the thrift store, but decided to help him out, along with a old lock. I live in da 'hood and anything is better than walking (get panhandled) or the city bus (smells nasty inside). I work different hours than him so I never see him, but his 8 year old son tells me that his "Dad made some fast cash selling that mountain bike!". Turns out he bought weed with the $30-or "fast cash"-as I later found out. He didn't know his son snitched, but I asked him what happened to the bike when I saw him walking, and he told me it got stolen at work. Yes, I gave it to him for free. I didn't need the money. But to buy weed? I hate bums. So everything just goes to the thrift store now. The last thing a bum needs is booze or drugs. Also, he does not work at the moment, because he has no transportation. YOU want to give him a free bicycle?
I'm with you on this one! I've been treated that way myself when trying to help someone out.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Mileage is always a big factor with a used scooter, but if it's properly maintained with documentation, it's still worth more than a decent amount of scooters on the market. It's all about maintenance. Your 40,000K Buddy is in better mechanical condition than a random Buddy on Craigslist with 8K with flat spotted rollers, a dry-rotting belt and no telling when the oil was changed last.