2t Stella reliable overall?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

2t Stella reliable overall?

Post by sc00ter »

I know its a stupid question, but as a whole are they pretty reliable? Thinking about down sizing and need/want to keep a 2t in the family, and the Stella seems a good choice. Will be daily transportation in all weather conditions. Had a P200E back in the day but the "company" that did the restoration did a terrible job, causing it to be replaced by a boring Honda scooter because I didn't have the time or basic skills back then to iron all the bugs out. The two people I know with Stella's seem to run the hell out of them and never have any problems to my knowledge. Any input or opinions welcome.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, I owned one for a while and they certainly share the simplicity of design of the 2T Vespas. That is somewhat good news, bad news. We are talking about a 40 year old design plus some 3rd World construction methods and materials which aren't always the best. If you are handy with a wrench, then I suspect you will get along fine with a Stella. If you are expecting the "ride it, park it, ride it" reliability of some of the modern scooter designs - you will likely be disappointed.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I also have a 05 Zuma that's tuned to a 70cc. Very quick for a mid-race set up, and I have used that for daily transportation before, and it loves to protest every now and then. Yes, I carry tools with it! So it seems the Stella has a preventative maintenance regime that needs to be preformed. What kind of things need a looking after? Don't mind keeping a eye on things as long as its not something major that fails without warning.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Cables, electricals, and the cruciform of the shift mechanism all seem to appreciate regular checks as does the oil injection system.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

If you didnt 'have the time' to iron out the cropping up of issues with your P200, you may not have the time for the Stella either.
BUT.. the Stella's wiring wont be no wheres near as old as your P200's was..
So, good news there...
I say get the Stella.. depending on the year... Spend a while riding and make the time to iron things out, and then,
you should have a reliable daily driver..
My 08 was reliable as hell.. except for a busted coil mount.. It was a ride and park and ride again..
Some 09's have a check valve problem which could load up your lower end with oil..
once that's fixed...
Newer parts..dont need fixing as much as vintage.

My friends 05 GB has constant headlanp and tail lamp issues that he cant figure out,,.. and he cant find any-1 who can either.

I think once you get it dialed in, you should enjoy your stella.

Ive put over 2k miles a year on my 81 P200 and havent had to work on it at all this year or last except for changing pipes twice which was voluntary.
It takes time to iron out the issues.

Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

O.K., that is good info to know. My old P series was done so poorly. They got paint inside the gas and oil tank, that eventually peeled and clogged both gas and oil supply at one point. Gears missing washers/spacers, etc. Like those restored Vietnam scooters that were being sold awhile back, but this one was done in the USA by a big company that is still in business. The Stella I'm thinking about is the Atomic Fireball model. Also know of a 4stroke Stella, but I really want a 2t.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Get the Fire Ball!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

.. as a whole are they pretty reliable? ........ Will be daily transportation in all weather conditions ..
Fun & a neat ride to scoot around on - yes. Reliable for daily transportation in all weather conditions - err, no. Sorry if that's insulting to Stellas, I have fun with mine but I wouldn't select it if I was looking for a dependable Norfolk VA area all-weather ride .
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

What does weather have to do with something being reliable? I plan on running brand name tires. I know how to shift very smooth. I have good rain gear. I could see rain water freezing up the clutch assembly, I'll just put a bag over the left grip if icing is a threat. My old Zuma 125 had the ignition key and fuel door freeze shut on many occasions. I eventually got one of those "heated keys" to thaw out the locks. Also stuck suction cups over them to keep the water out. Stupid freezing water! Rust and paint fade don't really phase me since it will live outdoors. Unless temperature swings from season to season require re-jetting like my 2t Zuma, I have no idea what else could be affected.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sc00ter wrote: I have no idea what else could be affected.
The entire exposed electrical system.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Are you serious? I know the wiring is a bit exposed since its not hidden under plastic and all, but is it that bad? I do ride in rain. And sometimes I have to go thru floorboard deep water at least once a year. I have to take a good look at the Stella now. I know someone that had a Baja Chetak (I think that's how it was spelled) and I do remember some flimsy connectors and some strange wire splits from the Indian factory while helping him trace a turn signal issue, but the Stella has to be wired better. That's one thing I hate-electrical issues! I loved my Vespa 90 (not the SS model), but having lights fail at random was no fun-carried bicycle lights at all times! That bike still terrorizes my local scooter shop according to the owner. Still gonna peek at the wiring on the Stella. I guess years of boring Tupperware scoots have spoiled me!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:That's one thing I hate-electrical issues!
Well, that is certainly one of the things the Stella frequently has. (And I'm not sure why you think a Stella has to be wired better than a Bajaj or an Enfield - I'd say the electricals are similar.)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm not trying to knock Stells's. There are a lot of people that are very happy with them. It is important to remember that the 2Ts are based on an old design that even when new needed a little more attention than today's TNG bikes.
www.teamscootertrash.com

EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

two things for me...
a broken horn wire (warranty covered).
And the required vapor recovery/emission BS that keeps vapor locking and starving the poor thing with that damn stock 4T sealed system (apparently it's an issue for almost everyone..).

I've had no other problems.

I put a 2T gas cap on and had the shop re-tune it so that's all sorted....(stupid CA boutique ethanol gas...)
Last edited by EvilNerdLord on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
RedStella

Post by RedStella »

Coming upon 11 years with my Stella..
Parts replaced-battery a few times, one headlight bulb, tires.
Replaced pipe with SIP Road Sport 2 years ago, jetted accordingly-suddenly the world is a faster place! Vespas fear me.

Total down time=zero.
It doesn't get used for many long trips, I am a motorcyclist first, and lately a bicycle has been doing the sub-10 mile rides, but it is still one of my favorite vehicles.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I still want one, just have to sell a scooter or three first. If my friend and I got a totally custom wire harness to work on a Ruckus/2t Zuma motor swap to work, I think I can grasp a Stella. Got to learn all about Modex couplers and the strange little pin push tools to reverse your mistakes.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Dooglas wrote:
sc00ter wrote:That's one thing I hate-electrical issues!
Well, that is certainly one of the things the Stella frequently has. (And I'm not sure why you think a Stella has to be wired better than a Bajaj or an Enfield - I'd say the electricals are similar.)
I've owned 3 Stella's and have only had two electrical issues and only one that really counts?

Stella #1 the headlight glass fell out of.

Stella #3 the pickup for the stator failed, It was a poorly made component.

My electric start has always worked, My blinkers and tail lights have always worked.

The only bad thing I have to say about the Stella electrically is there are too many wires, With the PRD and the Neutral Safety switch and all the other stuff that has to go up and down the front of the bike.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

JohnKiniston wrote:
The only bad thing I have to say about the Stella electrically is there are too many wires, With the PRD and the Neutral Safety switch and all the other stuff that has to go up and down the front of the bike.
^^^ That and the occasional loose connection in a handlebar switch and mine has been good to me , at least electrically.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
langdonauger

Post by langdonauger »

6 years on now, I guess ...

I feel like mine has been exceptionally good. I pop the tall windscreen on every winter, hit my pipe with high-temp paint every summer. Change tires when needed. I've repaired a couple headset wires. Was stranded once with a bad stator.

I've been very careful with it. No real mods, except for a used Piaggio springy seat (which changed the entire feel of the bike, HIGHLY recommended), pot metal hub nut covers (scooterworks used to sell those ... stella-specific :shock:)

~10k miles ... it is still a blast to ride. For something I was able to get brand new and throw on a credit card during a gas crisis ... it was a fantastic choice.

Incidentally, I've never dropped it, but it WAS knocked over by a cop car, and crashed by the dealer during the stator repair (MPG Motors, now thankfully out of business). But I've managed to keep it looking nice.

I would say good luck finding a nice one. So many of them have really been thrashed about.

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I haven't had any weather related issues. Hot, cold, snow, rain...
It's been absolutely reliable since it's rebuild. 8k of WOT on its current parts.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Member since 09 and first post! Nice to hear from you langdonauger!

That Stella looks great!
www.teamscootertrash.com

langdonauger

Post by langdonauger »

BuddyRaton wrote:Member since 09 and first post! Nice to hear from you langdonauger!

That Stella looks great!
Haha ... thank you! I type very slooooow.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

langdonauger wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Member since 09 and first post! Nice to hear from you langdonauger!

That Stella looks great!
Haha ... thank you! I type very slooooow.
GeeZee, I thought I was a slow typer.....
I rode into the western 'fringes' of Chester County just a couple weeks ago. Your yard and 'setting' looks idealic as apposed to my boring western Lancaster county.

Back on topic: Wouldn't any vehicle be as reliable as the maintaince it receives?
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Doing maintenance has nothing to do with build quality. Remember early 80's Dodge products? Yugo cars? Qlink scooters? China scooters in general? If the quality is not there to begin with no amount of upkeep will save it. The whole made in India is what scared me off at first, but is seems that Genuine pays extra money/attention to quality with the India factory to ensure that the finished product is above average. Still want one, just have to thin out the heard first.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

langdonauger wrote:6 years on now, I guess ...

I feel like mine has been exceptionally good. I pop the tall windscreen on every winter, hit my pipe with high-temp paint every summer. Change tires when needed. I've repaired a couple headset wires. Was stranded once with a bad stator.

I've been very careful with it. No real mods, except for a used Piaggio springy seat (which changed the entire feel of the bike, HIGHLY recommended), pot metal hub nut covers (scooterworks used to sell those ... stella-specific :shock:)

~10k miles ... it is still a blast to ride. For something I was able to get brand new and throw on a credit card during a gas crisis ... it was a fantastic choice.

Incidentally, I've never dropped it, but it WAS knocked over by a cop car, and crashed by the dealer during the stator repair (MPG Motors, now thankfully out of business). But I've managed to keep it looking nice.

I would say good luck finding a nice one. So many of them have really been thrashed about.

Loves my springy Piaggio seat! !!!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics